PDA

View Full Version : Vale Ron Calcutt

Jabass
30-12-2006, 02:48 PM
The following is courtesy of Harro's Web Page.

Vale Ron Calcutt
Dec 28th, 2006, 8:20pm Ron Calcutt passed away in hospital this afternoon following a short and courageous battle
with brain tumors. He was 69.

Ron was the most influential identity of our time. The central figure, who, along with
Bethune, McCristal and Erskine changed the face of our sport.

After retiring from publishing, Ron set up a marine and advertising consultancy on the
Gold Coast and always enjoyed wetting a line. Widely fished, he was a far better angler
than he ever gave himself credit for, and one of the truly great fishing writers.

When the time comes, there'll be a more fitting eulogy.
Rod Harrison

Heath
30-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Woooha!

One of, if not THE pioneer of fishing in Australia. Very sad indeed.

I enjoy his movies no matter how many times I watch them.

Derek_Bullock
30-12-2006, 03:02 PM
A sad day indeed and at such a young age. Magazines, books, TV, Video .......... he did it all.

My condolences to his family.

He will be greatly missed.

Derek

gunna
30-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Condolences to the Calcutt family. Ron's writings and videos have been inspirational to so many people. He is a genuine fishing legend.

hooknose
30-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Total Legend - RIP - hard to believe !!!

StevenM
30-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes a sad day.

like you Heath I can watch the vids over and over.

To all his family and friends I pass on my regards

Cheers

Steven

GrahameA
30-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi All

Probably more influential than most realise. "Aussie Angler" in its heyday was the most influential fishing magazine in Australia - a publication that led the world in so any ways.

He in conjunction with Ossie Emery did a "Fishermans World". Groundbreaking TV series and still nothing like has been made since. (Closest is probably "Walker Bay Chronicles".)

A great loss to Angling in Australia.

sleepygreg
31-12-2006, 12:34 AM
I remember spending many hours with ron at the fishing news store in liverpool when i was in my early teens, i was one of those typical tackle store groupies. He always treated you with respect and answered your questions honestly and openly. A true legend of our sport. Condolences to the family.

Greg

Grand_Marlin
31-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Very sad news..... :(

As Greg said, he was always willing to have a chat ... fishing certainly was his ultimate passion.

RIP Ron

Sdly Missed

Pete

choppa
31-12-2006, 03:23 PM
its been a sad year with many "heroe's" lost

and yet here's another one,,

condolences to all family members

choppa

wayne_cook
01-01-2007, 09:24 AM
from memory ron and rod seemed to be close the stories u guys told were an inspiration to me in the late seventies I feel for u rod and may his memory live on.

bdowdy
01-01-2007, 05:38 PM
another legend lost, rip ron,

NeilD
02-01-2007, 06:21 AM
A great loss to the sport. Ron was at the leading edge of the sportsfishing movement for much of his life and made major contributions to the sport through his writings, movies and editorial work.

In my opinion the leading glossies are a shallow imitation of the cutting edge work of the Australian Angler and first few years of its transformation to Fishing world.

RIP Ron

GrahameA
02-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Horse

In my opinion the leading glossies are a shallow imitation of the cutting edge work of the Australian Angler and first few years of its transformation to Fishing world.

That is one of the great understements of all time and I am of the opinion that that is Ron's Legacy. He truly was a visonary in his print and image work.

The_Walrus
02-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Another one of the old school gone.

Always enjoyed his writings and videos.

Luc

spiderbite
02-01-2007, 12:00 PM
In a industry so full of wankers, experts and gurus, Ron was one of the few men you could rely on to tell it like it was, a true Gentleman and a man that will be sadly missed.

Cheers Warren