PDA

View Full Version : cheap prawns a no no !!

MORFIN
18-12-2006, 08:24 PM
I have been made aware from reports on the ABC radio programs that people are purchasing cheap imported frozen asian prawns from there local seafood shop and using these as bait prawns as they are per kilo cheaper than local bait prawns. These reports suggest that using these imported prawns carry deseases that will harm and cause a spread of desease to our local wild / native marine life.
Just wanted to spread the information on to help conserve our marine life.

PETE MATE

merry fishmas!

Wayne_Red
18-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Interesting point. Look at the pilchard kill in south and west aus a few years ago blamed on the imported ones as i recall.
Then there is ship balast water etc. Makes you think. Thanks for the tip.

Regards Wayne

backhoe
18-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Can't imagine they would by anywhere near as good anyway. The ones I've had taste like sh*t but that probably reflects what they've been fed on.
Kev

DR
18-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Can't imagine they would by anywhere near as good anyway. The ones I've had taste like sh*t but that probably reflects what they've been fed on.
Kev
at least the ones you had, had a taste, the ones i was served recently were tasteless.. :o

choppa
18-12-2006, 10:03 PM
this is true,,,and has been posted before,,, but albeit,, if you do use green imported prawns,, there is a chance of foreign diseases being introduced to our waterways,,,

and in a sense,,, it must be the same for other imported products as well???????

PinHead
18-12-2006, 10:37 PM
a bit difficult for most diseases to survive in dead animals and also the temps of freezing kill most viruses and bacteria.

Deiter
19-12-2006, 12:13 AM
From my experience in the food manufacturing industry, i can tell you that freezing does not kill bacteria/ viruses, it only stops their multiplication. The only way to do it is to cook products to at least 80 deg C.

So yes, it is possible that foreign diseases can be introduced to our waterways in this manner...food for thought, pardon the pun.

Damo

Feral
19-12-2006, 04:52 AM
Bait prawns work out about $15 to $20 a kilo, prawns from Woolies about 2/3 that price. Depends on wether you believe Woollies when they say they are Australian prawns I supose?

I used to watch the prawn trawlers drop their nets at the sewage outlet off luggage point, so what imported prawns are fed on wont be worse!

_Dan_
19-12-2006, 07:37 AM
Interesting on the price of these as i know that Tweed Bait pay about $2-$3 a kilo for bait prawns... :-X

Maybe the should be passing on some of this to the punters..

DHM77
19-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Morfin,
I saw the same thing on Friday. imported whole prawns for around $7 kilo, local prawns were $27 per kilo. If you were buying them for use as bait over Christmas it is a no brainer as to which you would buy. From what I understand in the press, if they are used as bait we risk introducing 'white spot' which could decimate the Australian prawn industry if it is spread. I don't understand how the 'white spot' is actually spread, but it would seem that it is a big risk allowing raw imported prawns to be sold here. I know that there are a few informed people in the commercial sector lobbying government on this issue.
Regards,
Dave

Squiggle
19-12-2006, 07:52 AM
For starters you just purchase the "Cooked" prawns. Out of one prawn you can get up to 3 baits, including head. This is still alot cheaper.

On the weekend we bought local school prawns only to be disappointed again that they had previously been salted down, so they were old, not fresh as advertised. For starters they were very small and you had no chance of peeling them cleanly due to the soft skins. They tasted like salt no prawns.

Maybe it is a case where the Australians should be starting to lift their own game before running down the imports.

Marketing tactics...they come in all shapes and forms ::)

BTW when they are talking diseases it is about raw prawns not cooked ones that we usually buy. ;)

Squiggle
19-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Come on guys....do you really think that the government is going to let disease into the country that could make that much of an impact? There are certain import laws that have to be adhered to and test that are done before importation etc.

GrahameA
19-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Squiggle

In simple terms - "Yes". #AQIS will do the best job they can however things are changing.

Note the millions now being spent on eradicating Fire Ants in SEQ. #

Consider the arguments over Apple imports - which I understand are still going on.

Then there was the small issue of the Citrus industry in Emerald Qld.

It was Gov't that imported Gambusia.

What it really boils down to is that if you want to keep the undesirable diseases you need strict quarantine - and it needs to be rigourously applied. I wonder how those Fire Ants managed to sneak in? Perhaps the Rules and Reg's are not as good as they should be?

Personally, my faith in "government" taking the long term view is non-existent.

Just as a pure aside - I was reading a 1981 edition of Eishing World the other day and in Vic McCrista'ls column it had a warning about about Climate change - 25 years on I think the current PM may be starting to take note.

S.S.
19-12-2006, 09:03 AM
This post has been done before. The Australian Government is letting the imported and diseased prawns enter the country and the Queensland Government has issued a warning (it's probably still on their website) that these prawns shouldn't be used for bait.

Apparently there are already been prawns stocks in Queensland infected with the white spot. The lovely gentleman that makes cast nets and was working with me at the Brissy Boat Show this year (and i can't remember his name ::)) showed me the pics and has been trying to make the authorities aware of the problem. Not sure where he got to with it.

It comes down to money doesn't it? The government really doesn't give a rats when it comes to this country's wellbeing. I'd rather pay more and support local farmers and eat Aussie grown food than eat imports any day.

Squiggle
19-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Is there conclusive evidence that this is where the white spot has come from?
As everyone knows it is quite common in aquarium fish that do frequently make their way into our waterways.

Squiggle
19-12-2006, 09:33 AM
I suppose a minor solution for the recreational fisherperson would be to only use cooked prawns as bait if you need to use cheaper alternative.

The industry can help itself to sell their product more by reducing their prices and lifting their standards...
As has been said above there is an obvious difference in the price paid per kilo wholesale for bait prawns compared to what is paid by the angler.

SeaHunt
19-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah lets just rely on everyone not to use imported raw prawns as bait , that will work ::)

HOW stupid are they?
If they see it as a real threat surely banning raw prawn imports is going to work a bit better than a halfarsed warning on a website.

gunna
19-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Makes you wonder how many bait shops are passing off the imported prawns as fresh bait prawns. Would be a nice mark up for them !!

BillR
19-12-2006, 05:50 PM
I must say I have had some terrible aussie prawns over the years, and sometimes at big prices. The locals do need to lift their game.

BillR

timbacutta
19-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Question? Why the hell do they let them in to the country if they are not safe to local prawns!

Jeff.

wayneoro
19-12-2006, 08:42 PM
there is not a snow flakes chance in hell of the govt; letting in crook prawns with the local prawners looking over there sholders looking for every chance to bag the imported product but there is also not a snow flakes chance in hell of me eating any of that imported asian stuff i wouldnt use it as bait if it was free but for people who arnt to fussy its ok i hate to think what they feed em on stuff the price prawns out of our beautiful sea cant beat that

StevenM
19-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Well no chance in hell that I will ever buy Imported prawns no matter how cheap they are.

Feral
20-12-2006, 05:59 AM
Come on guys....do you really think that the government is going to let disease into the country that could make that much of an impact? There are certain import laws that have to be adhered to and test that are done before importation etc.

Ah - Fire Ants? Sugar Cane Smut?, Crazy Ants? Citrus Canker?
To name a few recent unwanted imports.

Squiggle
20-12-2006, 06:50 AM
there is not a snow flakes chance in hell of the govt; letting in crook prawns # # with the local prawners looking over there sholders looking for every chance to bag the imported product # # but there is also not a snow flakes chance in hell of me eating any of that imported asian stuff # i wouldnt use it as bait if it was free but for people who arnt to fussy its ok # # i hate to think what they feed em on stuff the price prawns out of our beautiful sea cant beat that #

This type of comment usually comes from people that haven't really had many life experiences lol....
Time to look in our own backyards at how some of the Aussie animals are looked after that go on your plates ;).

Tell me do you all buy free range "only" eggs even though they can be up to three times the price?
Do you only buy organic pork, lamb and beef?

Just something to think about ;)

S.S.
20-12-2006, 10:34 AM
I only get my eggs from the next door neighbour's chook pen ;)

I only eat the fish I catch, grow a lot of my own vegies and try damn hard to do the right thing. Geez.... next step I'll be growing dreadlocks and heading to Nimbin to stock up on those famous cookies ;D

Green
20-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Quote from squiggle
On the weekend we bought local school prawns only to be disappointed again that they had previously been salted down, so they were old, not fresh as advertised. For starters they were very small and you had no chance of peeling them cleanly due to the soft skins. They tasted like salt no prawns.

Maybe it is a case where the Australians should be starting to lift their own game before running down the imports.

Are ya sure they were local school prawns? As for soft shells this could be a few reasons, how they were cooked? Salty? Salt is used in making a brine to bring prawns back from a frozen state, to hold them at a suitable temp. , keeps ice colder, longer. If you get salty prawns try rinsing them under the tap or placing them in a water ice slurry, should fix. A lot of the time it is peoples lack of knowledge in the handling of seafoods which leads to poor quality, not the original product. Don't use imported green prawns as bait, they're proven disease carriers due to limited regulations on the overseas farming practices, imports are toxic rubbish that a few stand to make money on.

netfish
20-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Didn't Aqis let the rabbits in from China. Lots of rabbits ..... in China

pegasus
20-12-2006, 11:37 AM
is there a thought we should trust the goverment - lmaof- next thing we ll be believing politicians- i think that path should find its way into joke of the day.

Maybe the locals need to lift there case - but maybe we as individuals can do just a small thing an put aside the dollar saved scenario, an where theres a doubt use the aussie stuff- especially considering the stakes- however I doubt that expression of such thoughts will make much of a difference to some- eg how did carp get to tassie- widely know as pest and for a destructive influence yet they seemed to be carried over to be released in what many consider some of the blue ribbon wild trout waters in the world. :-?

regards,
lew

theoldlegend
20-12-2006, 12:36 PM
LeeannP in dreadlocks? Nah, can't really picture that. :-?

TOL

jim_farrell
21-12-2006, 08:28 AM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/30_2384_ENA_HTML.htm

For all those who trust our wonderful governments. That is the DPI telling us not to use the prawns as bait as they may carry one of three diseases.

When this came up 6 months ago, I fired off letters to the respective departments. Qld fisheries said the importation was a federal issue and out of their control.

Jim

wayneoro
21-12-2006, 08:32 AM
squiggle you have given yourself up as having little experience or are your self involved in selling this inferior asian product i have been a pro fisherman in my younger yrs i fish and crab every week i buy my eggs a veg off a small farm >:( i am very lucky i am 62 being fishing with my own boat since i was 16 i dont need some smartee telling me jack shit

Chromedome
21-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Hey Guys, It doesn't stop at the prawns, I brought a bag of squid on tues day and took the boys whiting fishing. I was surprised to see it wasn't an Oz product ,yet supplied by a major gold Coast bait supplier. And yes i still used it, but the thought did occcur to me if the freezing killed any bacteria.
Chromey

_Dan_
21-12-2006, 02:13 PM
The problem being for "most" aussies is they love seafood on Christmas, i know a guy ho owns a seafood shop and family own a crabbing license. One thing is that Muddies as of yesterday are $55 a kilo and Aussie Tigers are $40 a kilo.

This puts the family feed of local stuff well out the reach of "most" aussies. I do know that some aussie prawns are in fact taken to thailand for processing and then returned as local product. So if they have been sent over there are they aussie fishos or international companies?

Imported prawns arent that bad to eat if you get good ones i am sorry to say, and while the are half the price "most" aussies will buy them. This is not right but its the truth unfortunately. and also while there is a market for them you wont see them disapear for a while.

Also its not looking good for Xmas as there isnt much fresh stock around and when i comes in the price is very high.

Last my mate bought a box of imported prawns for X supermarket and when he got home checked the packaging date, they were over 12 months old.

Have a good christmas and have a feed of local stuff if you can afford it.

Cheers

Dan

keepitreel
21-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Stuff the imported prawns. I shopped around(sunshine coast) and got fresh local tigers which were not even in the window yet for $25 cash only(noosa) I promptly bought 5kg and have been feasting ever since. Vanamei prawns are just sh!t.

wayneoro
21-12-2006, 05:09 PM
was chatting to a friend who owns a beamie he trawled the burnett river today for 3 prawns none of the other boats tried the worst ever for them so farming prawns has to get bigger here

Squiggle
22-12-2006, 10:15 AM
squiggle #you have given yourself up as having little experience # # or are your self involved in selling this inferior asian product # #i have been a pro fisherman in my younger yrs # #i fish and crab every week i buy my eggs a veg off a small farm # # >:( i am very lucky # i am 62 being fishing with my own boat since i was 16 # # i dont need some smartee telling me jack shit

I am actually a 42yo mother of 5 who has lived on farms most of her life with a husband who now work with a piggery. Some his family have been involved with trawling also during their lives working the gulf etc. I noticed some haven't mentioned they eat meat? Where they get this from? The eggs....what are the chooks fed??? I'm curious, not pellets I hope as other than organic ones they contain some type of hormones.
Pigs are given hormones to grow fast...are you having ham or pork this Xmas?

Yes I'm just an ordinary mother that has struggled most of her life bringing up children on a fixed very low budget, while having to cope with a husband (now deceased) that was dying of kidney failure this included helping to give home blood dialysis.

So please don't tell me I know jack shit.

choppa
22-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Hey Guys, It doesn't stop at the prawns, I brought a bag of squid on tues day and took the boys whiting fishing. I was surprised to see it wasn't an Oz product ,yet supplied by a major gold Coast bait supplier. And yes i still used it, but the thought did occcur to me if the freezing killed any bacteria.
Chromey

THANKS CHROMEDOME AND FLICK,,

chromedome covers my original thread on ""other seafood"",, squid is also imported and most from the same sources as the prawns,,,

flick,,,,i was scanning the library trying to find the dpi report,,,and gave up,,,

i dont believe that many of you haven't seen the conditions of the asian VEGIE farms reported on a current affairs show a while back,,,,most were utilising harmful sprays,,,sewage was a problem,,,filth was everywhere,,,and yet WE IMPORT the produce to compete with aussie farmers,,,,

same as the prawn and seafood imports

if anyone believes the GOVERNMENT would not allow this,,,,,,,,,truly wake up,,,and do some research on the topic,,,its not new,,,its been going on for ages,,,

Squiggle
22-12-2006, 10:19 AM
We must all realise that some of us eat what we can afford to eat. And when you think you are finally getting something local for a good price only to find you cannot peel them and when you do finally do this and find they only taste the same as licking a salt shaker it's a bit disappointing. #:'(

Derek_Bullock
22-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Minister for Primary Industries and Fisheries
The Honourable Tim Mulherin
22/12/2006

AVOID THE RAW (IMPORTED) PRAWN THIS CHRISTMAS

Primary Industries and Fisheries Minister Tim Mulherin today again reminded recreational fishers not to use imported prawns as bait these holidays as they may carry viruses harmful to local prawns.

Mr Mulherin said imported green (uncooked) prawns could carry exotic viruses which if introduced could have devastating consequences for the Australian prawn fishing and farming industries.

"Testing conducted by the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries found imported green (uncooked) prawns purchased at some supermarkets in Queensland carried White Spot Syndrome Virus and Taura Syndrome Virus," he said.

"While these prawn diseases will not harm humans, they have the potential to cause damage to wild and farmed prawn industries."

Mr Mulherin said the Australian Government had refused his call for an interim ban on imported green prawns while Biosecurity Australia's draft import risk analysis (IRA) was out for public comment.

"While the draft report released late last month recommends stronger measures to manage quarantine risks posed by some prawn and prawn products, I believe the risk of waiting a further 90 days for consultation, is too great,'' he said.

"Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Peter McGauran disagreed and while this is disappointing for the Queensland industry, DPI&F will continue to maintain a tough stance on imported green prawns.

"As part of our commitment to protecting the state's industry, DPI&F will continue its own sampling and testing program for imported prawn products.

"We will make a detailed submission to the IRA and continue our discussions with Biosecurity Australia."

Mr Mulherin said if imported uncooked prawns were used as bait or berley by recreational fishers, diseases could be spread to our prawn stocks. Imported prawn food scraps dumped in creeks, rivers or the ocean will also threaten native prawn stocks.

"I encourage recreational fishers to use only Australian prawns as bait and to ensure that all prawn scraps are dumped in land-based refuse tips."

DPI&F officers will be meeting with industry to discuss the Queensland Government's response to the import risk analysis.

Media: 32396530

jim_farrell
22-12-2006, 03:10 PM
I am disgusted by the attitude of the feds over this. But I cannot believe that if the QLD govt was serious about this, they couldn't ban the sale of a diseased or tainted product that has the potential to effect an already struggling industry. If mr mulherin had a set of any size, he would legislate a way to stop their sale.

Jim

_Dan_
22-12-2006, 03:33 PM
There are some strange pollies in this country, when you have them advising people against using these "things" when they let them come into this country in the first place.

This whole situation reeks of bumbling stupidity.

wayneoro
22-12-2006, 08:24 PM
sqiiggle i had no idea you were a lady and your circumstances i thought i was tossing it with one of the armchair fishermen please accept my apology i guess its easy for me to bag asian seafood when i have access to so much we sorta covered this on viet; catfish i posted that this gave a family cheap fish but when it was disclosed what they were feed i dont think it is worth the risk same with the prawns at woolworths today bundaberg lg green banana prawns $16 k at the cold store same $20 k cold store also had b grade muddies $28k and a grade $35 fresh mullet fillets $11 k nz squid is $8k usa squid is $13.50 for 2.3 k you just just dont have to gamble doc,s tell us we are what we eat cheers

fisher28
26-12-2006, 09:28 AM
hey guys,hope you had a good christmas and have a great new year.had to throw my two cents worth in here!!im in the bait prawn industry and i can understand how you get sick of paying so much for bait,weneva im at the servo,wherever it may be,i nearly always cast an eye over the bait freezer.imagine how we feel when we see a 200 gram packet of prawns sell for 10 cents more than we get for a kilo!!not good.i think some comments on here are also comparing food grade imported prawn meat with bait grade australian stuff,bait is not food.when we did a safe seafood course we learnt that freezing does not kill all bacteria.if you buy australian prawns and dont think there up to scratch,try taking them back,its worth a go,we try and deliver to the shops as good a product as possable.once again,mongers buy the stuff from us,walk inside and put it in the window for over double,if you argue they give you a spiel about bills to pay.if you argue further they say they can get it cheaper from elsewhere and make you feel as though you should through yourself at there feet and praise them,i think there must be a book in mass production for them,prawns too small,prawns too big,too old,i bought prawns in once and they were that fresh that some were still alive and had them complain that they were too fresh and would take ice to cool them down,and on and on.i can understand people looking at the cheap prawns because i want to get as much as possable for my money as well,but money for medication later on in life will cost more than the $20 saved over the deli counter,anyway off to nz for a fortnight,chow!!! ::)

banshee
26-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Always amused/bewildered at the amount of people that on one hand jump up and down with issues concerning the commercial sector but then race off to purchase their product,haven't bought local seafood for over a decade myself (addmitedly still can't find a substitute for pillies though) and welcome the imported prawns,picked up two kilo's the other night for $9.95 kg reduced,small king in size and very firm shell.......chicken shit never tasted so good.

roz
26-12-2006, 12:57 PM
I didn't have a clue regarding the imported raw prawns until this post appeared.

Primary Industries expect everyone to know the risks??? I could have gone and purchased some of the prawns in question not realizing the risks. Unbelievable.

On the other hand, I will NEVER buy Australian wild prawns (trawler caught) after seeing first hand the damage trawling has done off our east coast. This is definately one industry I WILL NOT SUPPORT.

I will go for Australian farmed prawns every time, or go without.

cheers roz.

canman
26-12-2006, 05:45 PM
I am with Banshee. Bought 2 five kg bricks of 16/25 for christmas and no complaints . Good price crisp prawn , thaw when needed, happy chappy. Merry christmas. The Canman

wayneoro
26-12-2006, 06:28 PM
good point roz but i wasnt aware the deep sea prawn trawlers did any damage except for the bi-catch ?

banshee
26-12-2006, 07:36 PM
So bycatch is acceptable then?

wayneoro
26-12-2006, 07:53 PM
no way is bi catch ok but what can they do i have put up many posts about beam trawlers and there bi catch which is fed to the birds that swarm behind them and thats up our creeks and rivers we are fined $300 for one undersize fish but a beamie kills thousands every day hellow i have sat behind a couple in the burnett river system i was shocked but these boats working now are the last and they are earning bugger all

wayneoro
26-12-2006, 08:05 PM
we have gone off what this post is about poor quality seafood now lets be rude what do you think the asians would feed there prawns and viet catfish we know they have already eaten anything that moves themselves they are vastly overpopulated food is at a premium they import most foodstuffs what do they have inabundence cheap labour and shit ? so in a country like this that exports seafood year right wakey wakey we are what we eat

banshee
26-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Human shit?..........no wonder there are so many arselickers about,it sure tastes good once converted into prawn....I can see another couple of kees coming my way at new years.

wayneoro
27-12-2006, 06:19 AM
mate i dont know what they are feed but you know it has to be real scary and the growth hormones plus drugs to kill the bugs and all fattened in some of the most polluted waters in the world our boffs have stopped shipments because of chemical residue they now say they are not harmful in ::)moderate amounts [this subject has been previously been covered which included more scientific data ] etc anyway happy new year

Phil-Fishbin
27-12-2006, 07:03 AM
you cant beat a fresh aussie king prawn. :) :) :)

1o points to the qld gov for at least keeping a check on the cheap imports and issuing warnings.

buy australian >:(

roz
27-12-2006, 09:59 AM
good point roz #but i wasnt aware the deep sea prawn trawlers did any damage except for the bi-catch # # ?

Wayne,

Get yourself onto a trawler, there are plenty leaving dozens of ports north, including Southport, Tweed, Brunswick Ballina etc....every afternoon. You might just change your blase' attitude to bi catch.

BTW Bi catch just doesn't cover fish/crustaceans, included is plant life.

At most times of the year, over 90% of what's in the cod end (of the net)isn't prawns. Buy aussie farmed prawns!!!

cheers r.

wayneoro
28-12-2006, 08:47 AM
dear roz please read what this thread is about asian prawns farmed in sewer conditions then given chemicals to keep them alive and growth hormones so they will grow quick against aussi wild prawns from australians pristine waters caught by aussi fishermen for australians to enjoy a far better tasting prawn that is healthy at woolworths few days ago aussi banana lg were $16a kilo the asian product was a couple bucks less go figure

Squiggle
28-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Isn't it the same though as eating our Australian grown beef, pork and chicken...that dare I say are also given chemicals and growth hormones lol.
One of my points is...before we start worrying about what others do isn't it time we start jumping up and down to what goes on in our own backyards?....Only difference is we pay premium for the hormones in our backyard and budget price for the imported models. lol.

roz
28-12-2006, 12:57 PM
dear roz please read what this thread is about asian prawns farmed in sewer conditions then given chemicals to keep them alive and growth hormones so they will grow quick against aussi wild prawns from australians pristine waters caught by aussi fishermen for australians to enjoy a far better tasting prawn that is healthy # # at woolworths few days ago aussi banana lg were $16a kilo # the asian product was a couple bucks less go figure

Wayne,

I have read the topic.

I was responding to your comment on bi catch being acceptable, maybe you should go back and have a read. I was only responding to that.

Just in case you didn't get my point...... Which is IMO, aussie farmed prawns v's trawler caught wild prawns, the latter in my view, comes at a huge environmental cost, for me that's unacceptable.

It went without saying, I don't agree with buying green imported prawns.

Hope that clears things up for you.

cheers r.

wayneoro
28-12-2006, 04:58 PM
got ya roz you support aussi farmed prawns against imported good on you cheers wayne

roz
28-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Wayno Maaaaaate,

Good onya to ;D

r.

disorderly
28-12-2006, 07:07 PM
lol Wayne and Roz,
On the topic of importing green prawns,I'm mystified as to why our government leaders allow it knowing that they carry disease.Wonder if its part of our free trade agreement or something.My first hand experience on a regular basis with AQUIS importing seeds is that thay are very tough on biosecurity matters genarally.
We have to have our seeds treated with either Sodium Hypochlorite solution or Methal Bromide gas by or in the presence of an AQUIS officer at our own expense.Have had some stuff held over and even destroyed or sent back.Very annoying but these are the rules designed to keep our country as "clean " as possible.
Unfortunately AQUIS is only really able to adhere to the guidlines it has been given.The desicions for these are often made higher up and are often politically motivated.
Ask anyone involved in the banana industry about it.They have been battling hard to stop the importation of bananas from the Phillipines,which threaten not just jobs,but the possibility of nasty pests and disease doing a number on our own industry.
Think maybe we are being given the 'raw prawn' by our goverment here.

cheers Scott

choppa
28-12-2006, 08:00 PM
scott,,, you've touched on a very good point,,,how many episodes of that weekly tv show does it take to say NO you can't bring foodstuffs into our country hidden in your luggage,,,we'll catch you

and yet,,we bring in tonnes of fruit/processed foodstuff etc in refridgerated containers,, and on average 35% is inspected and the rest pass through,, (sourced from aust customs report 2005/2006)

scary eh,,,,,and yeh,,,its part of trade agreements and keeping a good repore with our neighbouring countries,,

america doesn't import 1 % of BASA,,australia has the honor of being the world largest importer here,,,disregarding what ever name you cal it,,,,,its still catfish

roz has the right idea,,,,and i have followed it,,,,i buy my prawns for bait only from the deli at the local supermarket,,,its cheaper than buying packets from the servo,,,and hence why they duck for cover when they see me making a bee line for the counter,,,i want to know exactly where it came from,,

but as stated earlier on the piece,,,this has been going on for ages,,,its only in the past 12 or so months that we've been made truly aware of it

choppa

wayneoro
29-12-2006, 05:44 AM
squiggle and roz if our meat is as you say # there is nothing we can do about # #with prawns and catfish we have a choise they say the proof is in the eating # # squiggle and roz if you and your family are ever coming near here # burnett/isis # #give me a wk notice and will go catch you some local seafood cheers wayne p.s year year the ladies have me well trained

Squiggle
29-12-2006, 04:19 PM
But Wayne I can catch my own local seafood ;) . If NSW laws were different we might even being able to catch prawns easier...but no cast nets allowed. Muddies are just as easy from the shore as they are trying from a boat, so no problems there.
It's just them darn prawns lol..

wayneoro
29-12-2006, 06:17 PM
youre a top sort squiggle cant believe your from nsw ;D

GrahameA
30-12-2006, 06:14 AM
Good Morning All

As a result of this post I checked out the price of 'Bait Prawns' when I was at the Gold Coast yesterday.

The price at the supplier I checked was selling them for $5:50 per 200gm packet or if you prefer $27:50 per kg.

A little high I thought, but I wonder of people really notice?

BillR
31-12-2006, 11:37 PM
I bought a 5kg box of vanamei prawns (from China according to the box) for christmas at $10 a kg. Good to eat, firm and clean. Had a barbeque and everyone liked them. I have often bought aussie farmed prawns at $16 a kg and they are just as good as the imported stuff. Problem is they are harder to find. Maybe the aussie farms just aren't able to produce enough yet, but that will come.

I don't buy wild caught prawns for the environmental issues (for me it is the bycatch that is of concern), but also I don't buy them for the variability in quality. No matter what you pay for them it is a lucky dip if you are going to get good quality or not. Too often they can be bl***y awful.

Happy new year to everyone and for all of us that like crabs to eat, you don't want to know what they eat.
BillR

wayneoro
01-01-2007, 08:00 AM
billr # you have hit on a very good point # #if the carton of asian prawns you bought had been opened and defrosted by a shop for normal retail they may not have been ok # #same with aussi prawns frozen in cartons on the trawler its what happens in the retail shop how many times are unsold stock refrozen or just kept to long in the window display i used to go to a fish shop in southport next to the prop; repair shop there and buy his old stock [v.cheap] for bait so when i moved to bundy looking for same deal no one ever had any i guess they are all very good at guessing the right amount to defrost ::) so i think that might cover the hit or miss on quality puzzle ;)

choppa
01-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Maybe the aussie farms just aren't able to produce enough yet, but that will come.

BillR

bill,,,a report in the Sunshine Coast Daily stated that Mooloolaba Seafood had orders up to Chrissie for over 20 tonne
of prawns,,,from far afield as victoria,,, and only had 12 tonne to distribute,,,

the catch here was over 60% of the orders were placed in 2005,,and were still current,, and ""wild prawn"" i believe was not included in this

choppa

BillR
01-01-2007, 09:54 AM
billr # you have hit on a very good point # #if the carton of asian prawns you bought had been opened and defrosted by a shop for normal retail they may not have been ok # #same with aussi prawns frozen in cartons on the trawler its what happens in the retail shop # how many times are unsold stock refrozen or just kept to long in the window display # # i used to go to a fish shop in southport #next to the prop; repair shop there and buy his old stock [v.cheap] for bait # #so when i moved to bundy looking for same deal no one ever had any # # i guess they are all very good at guessing the right amount to #defrost #::) # so i think that might cover the hit or miss on quality puzzle # # ;)

Wayneoro,

You are right about the retailers. Its a hard game for them to keep seafood fresh, especially in our climate. But some do it well.

I check for full eyes and a clean smell and taste test when convenient. However the number of times I have been ripped off when it turns out the wild prawns are tasteless or more commonly too salty for any normal human to eat.

Where does that salt come from? Do you know? I understood that prawns, like crabs, squid and fish naturally filter out the salt content of the seawater they live in. Otherwise the salt content would poison their systems. So who puts it in there and why?

BillR

mickc
01-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Trawlers use salt on their ice to form a brine solution .It makes the ice more efficent to such an extent that the prawns are near frozen.

On friday the fish factory at colmslie had med green kings for $12/13 a kilo
good bait size ,good eating also.

mick

wayneoro
01-01-2007, 12:29 PM
mate salt is a preservative and when cold the salt is absorbed by the prawns no taste is refrozen prawns best to buy whole carton as it came off trawler the big prob; is weight prawns are weighted before freezeing they weigh more when frozen so supermarkets will not sell you frozen unpacked frozen prawns because they will weigh less when defrosted well thats what woolworths told me

Squiggle
02-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Woolworths... Think they may have been telling you porkies lol.

One of my sons worked for them mostly helping out in the deli.

All the cooked prawns that have been out front in the display units have to be desposed of at the end of each day.
They also used to sell frozen boxes of prawns if someone wanted them, the same went with Bilo etc.

Wonder why Woolies told you this?

wayneoro
02-01-2007, 05:45 PM
squiggle woolies would not sell me loose frozen prawns because they weighted more but in the cartons they would because the weight was on the carton before they were frozen ;D gee you people from nsw happy new year