PDA

View Full Version : Line bin.  Good idea!

el_carpo
31-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi all,

I just got back from a quick walk in the woods near a lake in a nearby forest preserve. As I got to the far end of the lake, I saw a strange PVC tube set under a sign. I didn't know what it was so I went over to investigate. It turns out, that hell has frozen over----my state actually did something right! The tube was a bin for fishermen to dump their old monofilament line into. They collect it and recycle it. Soooooo many times, I've collected jumbles of animal killing line clumps left on the bank by some inconsiderate slob. I know this won't stop the problem completely, but I am VERY happy to see the authorities trying to help. Also, this sure beats just throwing it into a trash bin where it will be hauled off to a dump where it can kill seagulls and other scavenging animals.

I wasn't sure if you guys already have them in Australia or not so I thought I'd post about it. I know that improperly discarded line is a major thorn in the side of good fishermen and women who care about thier fishing spots; finally, something has been done. The slobs now have even less excuse!

Here's a picture. The strange brown object on top of it is a wasp hive by the way. I put it there while I took the picture.

el_carpo
31-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Just for the heck of it, here's a pic of the lake. Horsetail. Not very good fishing but beautiful to look at.

Poodroo
31-12-2006, 10:09 AM
What a great idea. El_carpo is it me or have you been a little quiet on here? Been missing your wit. ;) About the pvc tubing, over here I have not seen any such ideas put in place. I think over in Australia we wait until the pelicans become entwined in the stuff before we capture and free it and then dispose of the bunch of grapes. I think we need a bigger sized pvc tube here to implement the idea successfully. :-X

Poodroo

disorderly
31-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi El Carpo,
Looks like it could also serve well as a stubbie disposal unit.Would have to increase the length however.

cheers Scott

choppa
31-12-2006, 10:21 AM
what a great idea,,,,cheap,,, and effective,,,

i take it el c that the base is unscrewable to allow you to empty it,,

some of the local councils may get an email with your pic attached shortly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

choppa

el_carpo
31-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I think it's the turkey induced drowsiness that's kept me quiet. There's a drug in turkeys that knocks you out--triptofan (not sure about the spelling). I've been eating leftover turkey since Christmas. Turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, even turkey and scrambled eggs for some reason. It tastes good so it forces you to keep eating it despite the consequences.

I've been lurking the site daily and have enjoyed all the posts. I've just been too sleepy to respond. ;D The turkey is gone now and my vim and vigor has returned so hopefully, I'll be able to contribute more frequently once again.

I was thinking the same thing about the size of the tube. It wouldn't do any good at a really popular place like the lakefront at Lake Michigan or one of your piers or jetties. I've collected shopping bags full of discarded line. I take contractor size garbage bags with me whenever I go fishing just to pick up the trash left by the grubs. It drives me crazy to do it, but I keep on going because if not me, then who? I'll never understand how anyone can pollute beautiful places. The nice places are so rare and so precious yet the dingbats STILL find time in their "busy schedules" to dump their trash all over them. Arrrrrrggghhhh!!!

Maybe these dinky little line bins will be the start of something good! I'm going to optimistic despite past experience.

Fingers crossed!

The_Walrus
31-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Good idea.

But, I'll remain pessimistic in view of past experience. >:(

Those that leave fishing line lying around are inconsiderate slobs and unless you're there to pick up after them, they won't change their ways.

Luc

gunnabuild1
31-12-2006, 11:54 AM
It is a great idea but I agree with LUC after all some people cant walk 20ft to the bin but at least when I've picked it up there is somewhere to put it.
Better make it out of something that wont burn though.

dogsbody
01-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Great idea but in reality in Aus it's gonna get trashed w@nkers putting beer bottles and god knows what in it and as gunnabuild 1 said she's gonna burn.

Maybe recycle boxes at tackle stores or something would be better suited.

Dave.

MORFIN
02-01-2007, 09:45 PM
HI all , these line bins are in use in Australia here in Noosa QLD there are many of them around the waters edge on the Noosa river they were put there by the vollenters who rescue the pelicans and other bird life. These bins are a top idea I am always picking up fishing line from the waters edge I have even had to untangle my staffies from old line. I dont know if other towns in Qld are using these bins if not they are a top idea to help save our native waterbirds.

PETE MATE