PDA

View Full Version : Another great podcast, Nugget!

charleville
05-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Anothr great report on your podcast, this week, Nugget! :)

Ref your comment on the podcast about knots, I used to lose a lot of fish on the blood knots until I discovered the Palomar. What you say about blood knots being not so good for lines above 8kg or therabouts has been my experience well and truly.

Since using the very simply tied Palomar, I don't lose any fish due to failed knots any more - er - well - that is, when I have taken the time to tie them properly. ;D ...and we are talking about freight trains here on 30 lb lines and 40 lb Penn 10X leaders..

For those who do not know of Nugget's podcast go to his website and you can listen to it via your computer. http://nuggetfishing.com.au/ This is the best fishing report available for SE Qld by far!

fish2eat
05-01-2007, 09:09 AM
I very rarely miss one, but you are right Charlie, this week's is a corker...gotta get that knot book out, explains why I have lost some freight trains....

Stu

theoldlegend
05-01-2007, 05:46 PM
What is a podcast?

Can somebody please enlightne me?

TOL

Owen
05-01-2007, 08:59 PM
TOL
It's a pre-recorded (usually) wireless broadcast done in a format that makes it suitable for I-Pods and the like.

A bit like two jam tins with a piece of string between them ;)

cheers,
Owen

charleville
06-01-2007, 05:19 PM
What is a podcast?

Can somebody please enlightne me?

TOL, the name podcast has its genealogy from the Apple iPod which is a pocket device which records sound (or these days, video) material such as music, or spoken word to be played back through ear phones.

The stuff that you listen to has to be down-loaded on to your iPod from a computer which means that you can get the stuff on to your computer either from a CD or alternatively, by downloading it from the internet.

The generic name for an iPod is a MP3 player which relates to the audio compression technology standard but as Apple has 80% of the world's market with their iPod product, the name iPod and its derivatives like podcasting has become the defacto standard name for describing this technology just like Hoovering used to be understood as vacuum cleaning and an Esky means an ice cooler box in our lexicon.

The earlier iPods were just little computer hard disk drives but the later ones such as the Nano iPod are solid state devices.

Lots of people listen to music on their iPods but I mostly listen to either audio books or podcasts. #Audio books can be great to listen to - they are just a book read by either its author ( eg "My Life" read by Bill Clinton, 6 hours 10 minutes) or by an actor who can use actors' skills and a range of voices to differentiate #the characters in the text. # They are especially good for long books like "War and Peace" which runs for 60 - 70 hours.

Podcasts are just audio programs made available via the internet essentially by anyone on the planet and which can listened to either directly on your computer or downloaded to your iPod or MP3 player.

Most broadcast radio stations offer a wide range of programs these days which means that you can listen to your favorite radio programs #at any time of day that you like. A lot of people make podcasts about their favorite topic and make these available to the rest of the planet free of charge on the internet. #

Examples of which include a very amateur podcast on military history broadcast by a 15 year old kid in the US but the content that he puts on these broadcasts in 10 - 15 minute programs is fantastic so that he now has a regular audience of 10,000 people and has attracted two sponsors and even gets material sent to him from the US military; a much better quality (in terms of production) #amateur podcast is the Napoleon 101 series which is put together by a bloke in Melbourne and is a joint discussion on Napoleonic history that he has with a professor in Washington State in the USA. #These podcasts usually run 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

ABC Radio National broadcasts a most of their programs via this means to a worldwide audience of 300,000 at this stage. #They were immensely surprised at the size of their new audience, most of whom are in the USA. #You can find their stuff at http://www.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/

I also listen to things like the public lectures from Stanford University, the ABC Boyer lectures, the lectures from the Lowy Institute #and a whole host of other stimulating sources. #There is also a lot of comedy material available on the internet, and of course adults only material. #Programs that you might like such as Andrew Denton's "Enough Rope" are also available free.

Our good friend Nugget broadcasts his podcast every Friday morning.

Podcasts are great to listen to whilst you are doing anything tedious around the home. #

When you have listened to the podcast, it will delete itself off your iPod at the next time that you plug it into the computer. #New material is automatically downloaded to the computer when you subscribe (free) to a podcast. #That material is then automatically loaded on to your ipod when you plug it into your computer. Apple has a program "iTunes" that you install on your computer (Apple or PC) to do all the housework in deleting and loading new material. #It is on iTunes that many if not most of the world's podcasts can be found. #There is, however, other free podcast software available on the internet that can do similar stuff. #The protocol is called RSS which stands for "Really Simple Syndication." #It really is idiot proof once you understand the concept - even my 66 year old sister has managed to master it - well, maybe "master" might be a bit generous but what the heck, it is the season of goodwill. ;D (As a school teacher, listening to podcasts has made her lunchtime playground duty at the furtherest extremities of the school yard a lot more enjoyable for her.)

However, as stated, the material can be listened to on your computer without an iPod if you like. #

Hope that this helps.

BTW, there are lots of MP3 players on the market which are cheaper that the Apple iPod on a unit basis. #What I noticed though when I bought my iPod a couple of years ago was that on a $ per MByte capacity basis, the iPod was cheapest. #

8 million ipods get sold each month - on the other hand Nokia now produces 13 million mobile phones each month which have some sort of MP3 recording capability.