PDA

View Full Version : Stingray attack????

Shanoss
04-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Have been watching a bit of telly tonight and was mildly interested, if not skeptical, to watch the late news after hearing about the latest Stingray "attack". I'm finding it hard to believe that the media, as dramatic as they are, can call this an "attack". Do they really think the general public are falling for this sensationalized crap? A woman steps on a Stingray as she enters the water?? Sounds like a standard defense mechanism to me. After hearing the bulletins throughout the evening, i was half expecting to hear that the stingray had crawled into someones tent and giving them a them a 3 foot barb up the clacker....!! I for one, am sick and tired of this sensational. farcical, false and misleading crap that the media serves up day after day. That's it for me. I cant watch this crap anymore. goodbye TV.

hooknose
04-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Have to agree with you Shanos,
The media are so full of cr@p the way they carry on over sensationalising even the most insignificant of stories. The looks on the reporters faces and the wank tones of voice and terminologies they use when they present these types of stories only shows them up to us ( the well informed few) as total idiots. The problem is that the general public who probably dont know much about sting rays start to think of them as a real threat( like great whites) and the idiot media has created a false hysteria which they can then go on and do a series of equally cr@p follow up stories on. The next thing you know they will be putting a bounty on the poor old sting ray who was probably just minding its own business having a bit of a siesta in the shallows. As I said Shanos I'm with you !!
Cheers !!

stevedemon
04-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi shanoss
mate unfortunately since Steve Erwin was attacked by a ray any thing to do with stringray's now will be Media blown with B.S as usual but maybe someone will tell them they are doing the poor old stringray a injustice as the way they tell the story it was unprovoked attack not the fact that someone step on it

Media will be the death of more rays an some of the general public will believe the crap for one reason or another the same as if a shark attacks not the fact they think where Seals but to make the story more interesting they will blow it right out of the water.

the media needs to be pulled back a peg or 2 an think before they open a can of worms that they can not place the lid back on an in reality they just could not give a damn

i still call them the bird of the sea an when you watch them they are graceful creatures so let us hope that the idiots out there do not go on a killing spree

Cheer ;D ;D
steve 8-) 8-)

BLOOEY
05-01-2007, 07:44 PM
HERE HERE

Shanoss
05-01-2007, 08:23 PM
I always new that you fellow ausfishers were made of a little brighter stuff that the average idiots out there. Thanks fellas, glad to know i'm not alone. Bring on the revolution!

Blackened
06-01-2007, 12:26 PM
G'day
Totally agree with you.

I'd give you a little tip. Stop watching the TV altogeather and get into some good reading and it'll do you the world of good.

They dont call it the idiot box for nothing

Dave

Shanoss
06-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Dave, reading is about my favourite thing. If only more of the younger generations were into it.....

Blackened
06-01-2007, 02:40 PM
G'day

I'm 22, only got into it a few years ago, It's about what you read that makes the difference.

Start with the magic of thinking big and then go from there.

I hated to read because of school... they made you and 90% of it was not interesting.

I often wonder and hope that if more people read and created an intake of good material for themselves that this world would become a better place over time.

Dave

fishphile
06-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Like alot of landbased fishos I've been walking the flats for years and have stepped on numerous stingrays without being barbed, Scares the sh*t out of you but I am sure that they are the scared ones. Just like snakes and spiders they just need to be shown a bit of respect, Like the bloke who picks up a Death Adder and gets bitten all over the place then all you hear about is how dangerous the snake is and not how ignorant the guy was being.
Nature inspires us and if Human beings are at the top of the evolutionary ladder then perhaps we should all show how we can care for "lesser beings" and not feel the need to prove our self worth by destroying beautiful things or sullying their image for our own self indulgence. There is always enough War around for those who need to prove something.

Just my preachy 2 cents worth.

Dave

Black_Rat
07-01-2007, 02:17 PM
"Attack" #::)

Yeah the ray thought you were stealing his keys out of his shoes ! #::)

Thats why it atacked ! #;D ;D ;D

I was watching channel 9 news and shook my head when I saw the headline "Stingray Attacks" ;D what a "expletive" joke !

Not since Jaws swam in two foot of water, the waters are no longer safe because a stingray will "attack" you #;D ;D ;D

rick_k
07-01-2007, 03:04 PM
It was always good while diving and lightly resting a hand on the seabed to feet that rubbery feel under the hand that meant numb-fish.

Must have had a gentle touch, as never got a belt. Unlike a mate's son who pocked his finger into one's gill slot because he didn't know what it was. Never a good idea to touch what you don't recognise underwater. :-*