PDA

View Full Version : Haydos and Roy boat sinking

noodlemantra
03-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Fellow fishers,

Read the other day that these blokes sunk a boat in Moreton Bay not so long ago. Anybody know what happen and what became of it.?

Please share

Jeremy
03-01-2007, 08:58 AM
think it was around Sth Passage and about 2 years ago

Jeremy

first_mate
03-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Noodlemantra,

I think it happened 3 or more years ago. Now Andrew Symonds made the Australian side again, if he bats with Haydos the story gets repeated as if it happened yesterday. I think the story now is the boat overturned at South Passage Bar and they had to swim in shark infested waters for hours before they safely made land at Straddie.

ROB80
03-01-2007, 09:11 AM
remember seeing this in the news years ago. pretty sure i remember seeing the vmr towing it in. I thought at the time it wasn't much of a boat for mega star/rich cricket players. but then again it was better than the boat i don't have ;D

TinarooTriumph
03-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Yep... 2 or 3 years now since that happened. Can't remember what happened to the boat, all I can remember hearing that they swam for close to 2 hours in shark infested water trying to get back to Straddie. Only Haydo's, Roy and perhaps Grant Hackett could do that!

Lone_Wolf
03-01-2007, 12:22 PM
PAGE 4 & 5 ON THIS LINK

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/ReferenceLookup/seascape_vol2_issue3_low_res.pdf/$file/seascape_vol2_issue3_low_res.pdf

LW

marlinqld
03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Here is an excerpt from a NMSC paper on flotation devices, which mentions hayden and symonds accident. Apparently happened in Dec 1999

“It all happened so bloody quickly,” the opening batsman said of the accident that happened a few years ago - when his boat hit a sand bar, capsized and sank off North Stradbroke Island. Matthew conceded that he compromised things that day, and the biggest compromise of all was that he and his two mates, fellow cricketer Andrew Symonds and friend Trent Butler, were not wearing lifejackets. “On that day, we hit a wave, came back hard down on our stern and water punched its way up the exhaust manifold. “We had no power, we were right in the impact position on the bar and we were just stranded. Before they knew it, the boat had capsized; it took the trio an hour to swim to shore, battling currents, crashing waves and eventually, shock and exhaustion. "

Cheers

Mike

gunna
03-01-2007, 02:29 PM
I thought it was longer than the 2 - 3 years mentioned here - but who woulda thunk 7 years ago !!! Gee time flys.

charleville
03-01-2007, 05:48 PM
There is an interview with Hayden about the incident on the fishing DVD which is simply titled "The Fishing DVD Number Six" produced by Offshore Productions at Tewantin. #http://www.fishingdvd.com.au/fishing_dvd6.html

In it, Hayden briefly describes the incident in similar words to what Marlin Mike has shown above and emphasises the need to wear a lifejacket when crossing bars. #In fact the reason that he does the interview is as a public service to encourage others to wear life jackets when crossing bars. #The short segment is at the end of the chapter on jigging wrecks.

Hakunamatata
03-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Hey everyone,
I received Andrews Symonds biography "Roy- Going for Broke" for Christmas. Great to read a book about an Aussie bloke who shares my two passions in life - Fishing and Cricket!

In the book Andrew says that just after Christmass 1999, Brooke (his wife) took a holiday on North Straddy with Haydos and his wife Kellie.

Here is an extract of the story from the book, written by Symonds himself:

"We left around dawm and headed for the Amity Point Bar. I was driving and was using our GPS to follow the "bread crumbs" - the trail out that we had followed over the past few days - and although it was getting light, my direction was out that day and by the time we got close to getting through the sand bar and out into the open sea, we were probably 50 metres off where we should have been. Big mistake. Out of nowhere, a set of three huge waves stood up right in front of us. I looked over at Haydos to see what he reckoned we should do, 'give it a gutful', was his advice, so I did, and managed to get airborne over the first wave, but we landed heavily and dunked the motor, snuffing it out. A second later, the next wave hit us and pushed us half side-on, filling the boat up to our carves. We tried to re-start the engine but there was no spark so we did a quick check of the battery and fuel line to see if anything had come loose but there was nothing wrong as far as we could see. Anyway, we were now totally side-on to the third wave and it was fairly clear to all aboard we were going for a dip. Although there was no time to get the life jackets, just as we were about the take the plunge over the side, Haydos coolly grabbed his sunnies and tucked them into his togs! Moments later the third big wave swamped us and our boat began to sink below the surface, ending up seconds later with only the nose showing. . . . . "

The story goes on to describe how the boys swam about a kilometre to shore. After the incident their Bulls team-mates dubbed them as "Skipper" and "Gilligan" for the remainder of the summer.

A great book for Aussie blokes who aren't into a big read - plenty of photos (yep including fish!) and lots of statistics too.

Hope that was some help,
Cheers,
Darc

SCOTTYGC
04-01-2007, 08:39 AM
During the melbourne test match lunch break they had a show with Roy called
" Fishing with Roy"

he said that if he wasnt a cricketer he would like to do a fishing show on TV

It showed him fishing around the gold coast broadwater with poppers and soft plastics with "Franco" who i think might be a ausfish member

Well Roy never caught a fish and franco caught a few

he did seem to know what he was talking about in the show and if he had a show i think i would watch it

at the end of it channel nines Simon O Donnel said that roy should pick his fishing partners better and not to fish with people that out fish you on your own show

cheers
scotty

gogecko
04-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Yes I heard about that segment on the melb test. My deckie told me Roy was fishing in my special secret spot, and told all the world where to catch fish :o :o :o I didnt know Franco was involved :-?

Not happy Jan ;)

Oh well, at least not many ausfishers saw it. ;D

What did Franco catch?

ANdrew

SCOTTYGC
04-01-2007, 10:08 AM
they were chasing jacks but he landed a trevelly

they also caught a few flathead

so now i know where your secret spot is i might have to give a go lol

scotty

PinHead
04-01-2007, 11:32 AM
saw it also..sovereign Islands I think it was

jackash
07-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Yep it ws franco and i think it was "Roys Classic Catches" using chug bugs for jacks, but franco eventually got a nice golden on a placcy.

T1
08-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Isn't it amazing how stories get twisted around! Was talking to a mate just before Xmas who owns a house on Straddie not far from Haydos. He claims (reliably) that the locals (who always know the facts of course) that when they stalled, they tried to restart the boat in gear ie they didn't place it back in neutral - and that it was Haydos...

Obviously Roy was there and would know so i think i'll take his version as the correct one...

Take Care T

Trent_Butler
08-01-2007, 12:02 PM
T1

Yes it is amazing how stories get twisted around. I happen to know a guy who has pretty first hand information about the whole incident. Trust me not even Roy's version in his book is one hundred percent accurate....!!!

Noodlemantra

What do you wnat to know about the incident?

T1
08-01-2007, 12:19 PM
T1

Yes it is amazing how stories get twisted around. I happen to know a guy who has pretty first hand information about the whole incident. Trust me not even Roy's version in his book is one hundred percent accurate....!!!

Noodlemantra

What do you wnat to know about the incident?

Hey Trent

Yeah, i'm pretty sure that not all was revealed as you wouldn't incriminate yourself easily but i guess it would still be closer to the mark than the Amity Locals perhaps (who weren't even there)...

Take Care T

stokesy_86
09-01-2007, 04:21 PM
hey ausfishers,

anyone who wants to have a look at the roy fishing show can watch it on the net, goes for about 6 minutes or so...
http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/v/en-au/v.htm?f=39&g=91e29a6f-6397-4e40-8e67-a8bde0fb1b01&p=ausport_aucricketshow&t=m170&mediaid=29907
just cut and paste that url into your browser and u should be able to watch it.

Cheers,
Stokesy

Steven78
01-05-2007, 07:04 PM
What type of boat went over?

Franco
18-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Yes I heard about that segment on the melb test. My deckie told me Roy was fishing in my special secret spot, and told all the world where to catch fish :o :o :o I didnt know Franco was involved :-?

Not happy Jan ;)

Oh well, at least not many ausfishers saw it. ;D

What did Franco catch?

ANdrew

Hi fellas!

Just to clarify a few things re the Fishing segment I did with Roy that showed during the cricket show

Yeah it was me

I'd never met Roy before and All I can say is that He seemed to me a really good bloke to have a fish with and had integrity when it came to fishing ethics in front of the camera

Yes we did fish that area Andrew, but I doubt a great deal that its much of a secret spot!! Just have a flick through the Ausfish reports!! I couldn't tell from your post if you were just having a toungue-in-cheek dig, or if you were seriously pissed off but it sounds like you didn't see the segment yourself, so I felt I needed to clarify a few things and put your mind at ease.

Seeing a house in the background that a few people will recognise is one thing, but knowing exactly what to do and how to do it to catch a certain species is another thing! Its one of MY spots too and so we made an effort to not give too much away yet be informative at the same time. Its a bit of a balance I guess. We never mentioned exactly where we were. After all many good mates of mine fish those areas too so I had a lot to lose if we gave too much away!! Truth be known I got a bit twitchy after the footage of that nice Golden trevally and made the conscious decision to change plans and chase flatties in an area much harder to recognise. Sorry if you felt annoyed, but I honestly don't think it was too much information on the show. Apologies again Andrew if the show seriously offended you or anyone else. (Nice Golden on 4lb braid and 8lb leader though, hey!:) )

It is not true that Roy did not catch any fish, though the show may have looked that way to give it some humour. Yeah Roy struggled to stay connected to a few larger fish that morning, but He actually hadn't done too much of that sorta stuff before, they were familiar spots to me, my boat, my techniques etc etc and in that situation the owner of the boat will always outfish the other guy regardless of how much of a head start He is given. After a while with time constraints (we only had 3 hours to fish) there is a lot of pressure to get footage of fish being caught no matter who catches them! It doesn't make it easier on your fishing MoJo when there's a camera crew on board and another boat with the producer hovering about either! To Roy's credit, when I offered to hand the rod over after the hook-up (for the sake of providing footage of Roy with a decent fish) he flat-out refused which I thought was very honourable.

BTW that mornings' flatty fishing was amazing .... we were sight casting to them on the flats in crystal clear water I think Roy was blown away by it! He was so excited that on the bigger fish he didn't set the hook and unfortunately lost a few nice flatties. Oh well!!::) Thats part of the game and its a shame we didn't get that stuff on film. It was bloody unreal for me to take someone on my boat who hasn't experienced it before and see them shaking like a kid with his first fish!

Everyone should realise that just as newspapers rarely give you the objective, real-time report of exactly what happens, fishing shows have to "sell headlines" as well and so what the viewer sees is not a true reflection of the exact events of the day!

As such I would support Trent in recommending we all take "hear-say" reports of events (such as Roy & Haydos going in the drink) with a pinch of salt!

PS Hi to Trent, how's things mate??

Good fishing to you all!

Mtx
18-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Andrew Symonds would not remember what happened that day...
He is flat out remembering his own name... Not the brightest spark....

Unfortunately.. I had the umm "pleasure"????? of going to school with Andrew.

the gecko
18-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi Franco,
Im suprised you found this old post.

its all cool, I was only tongue in cheek. Its always hard to understand what someone really means on a post, thats why I used a good dose of emoticons.

Of course I dont own the spot, although I did put in a lot of time there 2 summers ago, before moving to new locales. I agree, local knowledge is paramount. I got good hauls from it on many mornings with sps, and just as often got nothing. Working out why it produced sometimes, and didnt on others, was super educational in helping me work out other spots.

I was more suprised than pissed off. If I was really concerned, then I would have stayed very quiet. Even raising an issue about a spot is enough to alert those who like to know my best spots. Theres plenty of spots for everyone, and as you say, its not the location, but the technique.

I didnt see the show, but good on you for doing the show and producing under pressure. I doubt I could produce the goods under the same constraints. Well done.

cheers
Andrew

charleville
18-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Andrew Symonds would not remember what happened that day...
He is flat out remembering his own name... Not the brightest spark....

Unfortunately.. I had the umm "pleasure"????? of going to school with Andrew.

So - umm - er - ah - er - ah which one of you is making the most money these days? ...and having the more enjoyable lifestyle .... and contributing most to the morale and wellbeing of our society?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Give me a dumb bastard who exudes enthusiasm and passion any day - I would employ them any day over others. ;)

theoldlegend
18-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Well said Charlie !!

Toochay !! ;D

TOL

Mtx
18-05-2007, 05:32 PM
it is not all about intelligence, the guy had NO respect for anyone around him and was certainly given favourite treatment due to daddy being the deputy head master - his poor attitude etc is the core issue.

I do not take anything away from his cricket ability - that speaks for itself and congrats to him for a wonderful achievement - does that mean that all famous people / good sports people are instantly good people? not in my books it doesn't and Money certainly does not make a good person. That is quite a shallow way of looking at people in my opinion.

Most enjoyable lifestyle, well that is in the eye of the beholder and money is not everything mate, again, quite a shallow approach to life and if you base success and happiness around money mate, then apparently you have not lived.

I have a wife and two great kids, I would take that any day over who has the biggest pay cheque. That is back in the days of pissing contests as far as I am concerned and I grew out of that long ago.

I certainly make enough to keep myself and my family in a good lifestyle thanks for asking.

Franco
18-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Ok Ok! Big breath everyone!

Settle lads my post was never meant to start any biffo!!

Not everyone in the world was meant to get along ..... don't let it bother you just go fishin you'll feel a lot better'!!

Franco
18-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Andrew,

All good mate I thought you may have been havin a giggle!
Thanks for the reply.