PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday - Seabreeze & Bouyweather DEAD WRONG but

uripper
10-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Having been a staunch critic of BOM for overly cautious forecasts, thought it only fair to acknowledge when they got it absolutely right while both Seabreeze & Bouyweather got it absolutely wrong.

The following were the forecasts as at 4.30am Tues 09Jan07 (yesterday):

Seabreeze
apologies - dont know how to insert graphic here - but it indicates light & variable winds thoughout the day down to 0-5 knots

Bouyweather
Morning - Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small short period wind waves. Winds: WSW 3 to 4 knots - Seas: E 6 feet at 9 sec
Afternoon - Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Moderate short period wind waves. Winds: SE 5 to 7 knots #Seas: E 6 feet at 9 sec

BOM (Bureau of Meteorology)
Southeast Coast Waters, Double Island Point to Coolangatta:
Tuesday until midnight: #N/NW winds 10/15 knots ahead of a SE change 20/25 knots moving along the Sunshine coast will reach Double Island Point in the morning. SE winds easing to 15/20 knots mid morning and 10/15 knots in the afternoon. Seas 2.2 metres, dropping to 1.2 metres late in the day. Scattered showers gradually easing from the south.

Took my boys for an early surf Kings Beach, Caloundra only to find it was like a washing machine ????????? #Went to Mooloolaba & found some good waves so all turned out OK. #Came back home & watched the obs throughout the day ...
– this is an extract from BOM’s Cape Moreton station:

Date Time (AEST) Wind speed (knots) Wind gust (knots)
09 02:00 04 05
09 04:00 11 15
09 06:00 19 23
09 08:00 24 26
09 10:00 22 25
etc, etc etc, - it blew like a banshee for the rest of the day (&night) !!!

Cant help but wonder how many boaties / fishos may have decided to ignore the BOM yesterday, preferring the Seabreeze & Bouyweather forecasts??

Personally I’ll be taking a lot more notice of BOM in fututre.

In the light of this, its interesting to note the comments in a recent Ausfish thread posted under General Fishing Chat started 24.11.06 #by “letitrip”. #- http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1164327619
It seems the best advice was that from “sunny” -
Seabreeze, BOM and Bouyweather. #If they all agree that it's going to be good, then there's a good chance they're right and the trip is definitely a goer. #If BOM is being more pessimistic, then I find it pays to be a bit more careful about deciding whether to go or not.

Cheers all, MalM

PS – there is a similar scenario unfolding today thought perhaps not as bad

charleville
10-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Seabreeze
apologies - dont know how to insert graphic here - but it indicates light & variable winds thoughout the day down to 0-5 knots

This is what you were wanting to insert. I did this in the early afternoon...

sunny
10-01-2007, 08:31 AM
It seems the best advice was that from “sunny”

Aw shucks [smiley=blush.gif] you make me sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Two things would have turned me off that BOM #forecast. #The bit about seas 2.2m :-/ and the southerly change that was going to push 20/25 knots. #The thing I've noticed is that all three services will tell you that a change is coming through, but none of them can really tell you much about when the change is going to come through. #

Maybe someone with more weather knowledge can explain that better. Over to you PP.

toymod
11-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah you have to laugh at it, they must have had the blinds shut at the office