PDA

View Full Version : Fake Nuggets

Nugget
30-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Once again someone was on VHF marine radio (Ch 21) today making a nuisance of themselves pretending to be me and acting like a piss head.
Anyone who knows me would be well aware that I don't drink alcohol on the water (and definitely never drink VB).
It is 100% probability that anyone saying they are me on air - is not.
I almost never fish weekends (why would I when I can fish all week) and never give my name out on radio. I log on / log off and only talk to people I know and even then only very rarely.

Anyone knowing any more details of the person involved please contact me by PM or email me - Police are now involved and keen to press charges.

With the help of other boaties, Ausfish members and the VMR / Coastguard bases - they will be caught and prosecuted.

Thanks for your help.

Dave ><>

BigE
31-12-2006, 01:27 PM
hope they pull his bungs out Dave.

Regards
BigE

markpeta
31-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Police are now involved and keen to press charges.

lol with drug dealers on the streets, people commiting robberies and stealing cars etc I doubt they are that involved.

It sounds good though.

I'm sure they do have more important things to do. Dave are they just calling themselves Nugget or is Your real name involved.

charleville
31-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Police are now involved and keen to press charges.drug dealers on the streets, people commiting robberies and stealing cars etc I doubt they are that involved.

Regrettably, that will probably be the case. # Nonetheless, the downside of fame and celebrity is the subsceptibility to attract idiot actions like this, and stalking, and identity theft, and even the lost privacy of being able to shop at a chemist without having people trying to see what it is you are buying. # We should not condone these actions. No wonder that the price of celebrity often includes the need to live in a gated community or in some exclusive enclave where you can be anonymous. I imagine that Rex Hunt or ET has it even worse.

Gosh, I love my anonymity #:) (Like, half of you guys think that I live in Charleville! ;D ;D ;D)

Good luck with the pursuit, Dave. #

StevenM
31-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Police are now involved and keen to press charges.drug dealers on the streets, people commiting robberies and stealing cars etc I doubt they are that involved.

Regrettably, that will probably be the case. # Nonetheless, the downside of fame and celebrity is the subsceptibility to attract idiot actions like this, and stalking, and identity theft, and even the lost privacy of being able to shop at a chemist without having people trying to see what it is you are buying. # We should not condone these actions. No wonder that the price of celebrity often includes the need to live in a gated community or in some exclusive enclave where you can be anonymous. I imagine that Rex Hunt or ET has it even worse.

Gosh, I love my anonymity #:) #(Like, half of you guys think that I live in #Charleville! # ;D ;D ;D)

And the other half think your name is Charlie.

Sweet tag that Bruce

Cheers

Steven

PinHead
31-12-2006, 06:48 PM
you mean you are not from Charleville and your name is not Charlie...hell..I thought you did your fishing in the Warrego River..ya learn something new every day

charleville
31-12-2006, 07:55 PM
you mean you are not from Charleville and your name is not Charlie...hell..I thought you did your fishing in the Warrego River..ya learn something new every day

Hehehe! # ;D

Well, my first Brisbane school teacher after I had moved from Charleville to Brissy used to laugh out loud and tease me about my slow western drawl and called me "Charleville Charlie". #I like the name - it sure beats a sooky name like "Bruce". #;D

There were three Bruces in my class so I suppose that I needed another name to differentiate me in the teacher's eyes.

That teacher was a right boofhead. #:( #He told us all about SP bookmaking leading up to Melbourne Cup Day and got an awful shock when one of the other Bruces, another mate and I ran a book on Melbourne Cup Day. #There was quite a furore at the school when the head teacher heard about our little enterprise and how we had been inspired by that boofhead teacher. #

Anyway, that was the first year that "Evens Stevens" won the cup. #He was favorite so our returns were not all that much albeit the day was profitable.

Best pocket money I ever earned in Grade Seven, though. #;D ;D ;D

wayneoro
01-01-2007, 08:27 AM
vanity is a ugly thing i guess when jesus christ comes back to earth the police are going to be busy if his attitude is same as nuggets

Sportfish_5
01-01-2007, 08:51 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

charleville
01-01-2007, 08:52 AM
vanity is a ugly thing # #i guess when jesus christ comes back to earth the police are going to be busy if his attitude is same as nuggets # #

I would see it in a different way, wayneoro.

Nugget makes his living as a public personality and as such is a 'brand' in marketing language.

He has to protect and nurture that brand to be what the public, and advertisers, media companies etc expect just like a brand manager for a large corporation does. I have negotiated and worked with brand managers from organisations like Warner Brothers and even - no, make that especially - the Sydney Olympics organising committee (SOCOG).. You ought to just see how much energetic intolerance they have for any infringement, challenge, variation or absolutely anything that challenges the reputation and integrity of their brand, right down to whether my company's logo next to theirs in joint advertising would clash color-wise. Nugget has to protect his 'brand' reputation in no less a manner.

One day, I will write a book on Customer Service (or so I keep kidding myself ;D ) and I will include a chapter with empirical evidence to show that when a company's brand gets a bad reputation for something, people start to find fault with everything that they do, such that measured customer satisfaction with products that have nothing to do with whatever is damaging their brand collapses even though nothing whatsoever has changed with those products.

No - this is not an ego trip for Nugget. This is business. He should be very vigilant in protecting his 'brand' as his future employment depends on it.

Sportfish_5
01-01-2007, 08:57 AM
I know about 10 blokes with the nickname of Nugget so it is hardly a trademark. I didnt know you could register a callsign and prosecute anyone who would dare to use it.

Reality check

charleville
01-01-2007, 09:12 AM
I know about 10 blokes with the nickname of Nugget so it is hardly a trademark. I didnt know you could register a callsign and prosecute anyone who would dare to use it.

Reality check

Aha! I see what you mean. That is a fair comment.

imported_admin
01-01-2007, 09:31 AM

Reality check

I think you have missed the point Greg

As stated in Nuggets post, someone was "making a nuisance of themselves pretending to be me and acting like a piss head"

It is not about stopping someone from using a nickname or call sign. It is about someone pretending to be him and trying to do damage to his reputation.

How would you like someone getting on the radio or internet and pretending to be you and giving you a bad reputation or damaging your income?

Sportfish_5
01-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Not condoning it but imo it goes with the "TV /Radio Personality" type jobs in media. This type of job attracts a lot of fringe benefits and problems such as this so unfortunately you cant always have your cake. We all make choices with the jobs we do and all have workplace issues that we need to work through.

Lucky Richie Benaud and the Team have thicker skins than Nugget but I take it this post was more intended to fire a few shots over the bow so to speak ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I would hope the authorities would make better use of my tax dollars than spending a lot of time on this type of thing and there are more important things for them to be policing.

Cheers

Greg

furt
01-01-2007, 10:02 AM
lol I was thinking the same type of thing Greg.

Comedy T.V shows make a living out pretending to be famous people. Eric Bana as Ray Martin was a classic.

The 12th man (Billy Birmingham) pretends to be the channel 9 commentary team and uses foul language and on the last CD. He even has Richie being intimate with his wife. "Not the middle stump Richie"

There is an old say "Impersonation Is The Best Form Of Flattery"

One of the only types of impersonation the police would be interested in is when you pretend to be them ;D ;D ;D

BillR
01-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Nugget,

Ignore the idiots, they are everywhere. ;D Just hope they grow up one day.

Thanks for all your good work through 2006, it is much appreciated.

BillR

wayneoro
01-01-2007, 11:19 AM
guys i think that anyone who calls the police because someone with the same name as himself makes a idiot of himself on a marine radio is a pompous ass i know two nuggets here in queensland what about interstate how about a overseas visiter our police are already behind the 8 ball if they spent 5 seconds on this that would be amazing ;D

manchild
01-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Had a chat to Dave yesterday ,and its turns out that is actually fraud therefore a criminal offence.
George

ssab1
01-01-2007, 05:28 PM
inappropiate use of a marine radio or any other communication equipment is an offence and prosecutable under federal and or state laws,the authorities do not take it lightly,dont kid yourself once alertered it very simple to locate the offending transmission,cheers alex.

Harro
02-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Quote from Charleville: "Gosh I love my anonymity"

A bit spineless methinks, but maybe he'd like to explain
why he feels the need when others are open and up front.

Over to you....

Nugget
02-01-2007, 01:42 AM
guys i think that anyone who calls the police because someone with the same name as himself makes a idiot of himself on a marine radio is a pompous #ass

Thanks Wayneoro - I appreciate being called a pompous ass.

Do you really think I would care if this was light hearted, done in fun?
This is not someone calling themselves Nugget – it is someone pretending to be me (including putting on some sort of accent that sounds like me and talking about radio and Tv segments as if they were me, telling people they have just come 'off air') - obviously for the purpose of discrediting.
They have also openly admitting to breaking the law – boasting about it.

Of cause the Police are following it up.
You can’t go around pretending to be someone else, blocking marine airwaves with obscenities and slandering someone at will – it is against the law.

Thanks to all those that have PM, emailed and phoned me – I appreciate your help.

Dave ><>

wayneoro
02-01-2007, 06:30 AM
gee nugget # #after the reading your last post # #the penny has dropped # there is a world of difference between someone called nugget acting up and someone pretending to be you plus i did not realize why anyone would do that # #i just this morning realized you do a fishing show on channel 10 # #i am 62 i dont read any ones ideas on fishing and have had cable since the begining so did not realize your public exposure # # my apology :-X wayne

PMC
02-01-2007, 07:24 AM
There is a big difference between comedy on a CD , or at the pub, and using Marine Radio, which is meant to save lives, not for someone on an ego trip.
Paul McNaught

Lone_Wolf
02-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Dave,

From the Logan to the Logies... well almost.

What you have done for fishing and the way you present our sport is a credit to you. I understand your urge to protect what you have spent years developing. However there are always going to be your detractors and those envious of your success.

I am not sure if giving the prangster some air time on AF or the radio will do anything more than encourage him because he knows he has got under your skin. Report him for sure and let the relevant authoriities deal with him.

I once had a prank caller on my 1800 number dialing the number and hanging up or abusing staff over 100 times a day. Misuse of telecommunications is a punishable offence and my perp was brought to justice. Like any complaint, the police are obliged to investigate.

Happy New Year!

LW

charleville
02-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Quote from Charleville: # "Gosh I love my anonymity"

A bit spineless methinks, but maybe he'd like to explain
why he feels the need when others are open and up front.

Thank you for that really useful, intellligent contribution. # ;D ;D ;D

I recall seeing you do a presentation at one of Bill Corten's fishing clinics a few years ago and saw you heap public scorn on a poor mug punter who asked a simple naive harmless question about lures. #Given your position of "power" as a celebrated expert in front of a public audience and in control of the microphone, that would have constituted a pretty good example of spineless behaviour in my view. #Was not impressed then. Am not impressed now. #>:(

However, the simple reason to why I like anonymity is that deep down I am a shy person. It is as simple as that. #I have battled that shyness all my life to build a career in corporate life where shyness is a distinct disadvantage but I revert to my natural form when I don't have to put on a "show."

I feel sorry for those people who have to be public personalities and lose all of their privacy. #For others who love to chase fame, that is up to them - but it invites stalkers, stickybeaks, identity theft and nuts who want to take potshots for whatever reason.

Anyway, topic is closed. No further debate will be entered into.

Nugget
02-01-2007, 09:00 AM
I would hardly call you anonymous Bruce.
I think all Ausfishers love your detailed accounts of fishing adventures, intelligent comments and wit. I remember the first time I met you, you introduced yourself as Charlieville - I don't see that as hiding behind your anonymity.

I think what you were referring to was a dislike for being in the public eye.
I think what Harro was referring to was those that use the anonymity of forums to cause havoc.

You're welcome in my boat anytime - as Bruce or Charlieville.

Dave ><>

cuzzamundi
02-01-2007, 12:04 PM
nugget you seem like a fair dinkum bloke and do a lot for our sport, so it's unfortunate to hear about a stray giving you some. unfortunately it seems to go with the terrirory - ive gota few famous mates in syd and l.a. and they seem to attract the same nonsense without provocation1 i guess to put a positive on it, immitation is the best form of flattery. good luck and may they pi@@ off quickly!

cuzza

shayned
02-01-2007, 12:58 PM
[/quote
Gosh, I love my anonymity #:) #(Like, half of you guys think that I live in #Charleville! # ;D ;D ;D)

[/quote]

You mean you don't live in western Qld?????????????? Than who the hell's house did I spend my Christmas break staring into???????? :D :D

You know I wondered how you got out to Mud Is. so often?????? This celebrity stalking business is hard yakka mate. ;D

Scalem
02-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Two things.

I have, in the past referred to "Charlie" as an abbreviation of "Charleville" because I was too lazy to type the whole word. Some call him Bruce, I will continue to abbreviate as "Charlie" if that is OK with you Bruce??? ;D ;D ;D

Dave - There is a professionalism that needs to be protected, and it is your livelyhood I know. I very much doubt some %@#!! Head is going to damage anything that you represent in the media. I would say the majority of people who listen to your show, or have met you in person, would instantly know the person on marine radio is a hoax. What goes around comes around, this puppy thinks he is clever, but I think your supporters and the police will eventually find the culprit. Your integrity will survive this small storm I am sure..

See you on the water! ( Maybe)

Scalem

stuart
02-01-2007, 07:18 PM
I could be confused here but I believe this is called defamation. Every one including Dave "Nugget" Downie is entitled to live a life that's based on himself not some other spinster. I have known Nugget for years and have always had a laugh with him, always get on well and seen him help many people over the years. Nugget has a family to support and if this "would be if he could be" damages Nuggets reputation then he is sort of screwed isn't he. Another view, what if he kept pissing people of on the radio and some one thinking it was Nugget and punched the shit out of him, how would this sit with you then. It has happened before on many occasions. In the grand scheme of things we are all merely a spec of fly shit in the greater universe.

Stuart
Precision Rods

choppa
02-01-2007, 09:44 PM
inappropiate use of a marine radio or any other communication equipment is an offence and prosecutable under federal and or state laws,the authorities do not take it lightly,dont kid yourself once alertered it very simple to locate the offending transmission,cheers alex.

dave i have never met you,,, but hear you often enough,,, and like so many of the replies here,, i would know if the offender on the air was really you or not,,, come on guys,,, how many idiots does it take to hear on the airwaves to pick out the fair dinkum to the ""turn off/squelch adjustment"" jokers

i've been around radios's for the past 30 years,,,,and it honestly hasn't changed 1 bit,,,,when 27 mhz was intro'ed and made legal back in the late 70's early 80's,,, every idiot thought it was christmas,,,,and nowadays,,, uhf/marine/ham radio is crawling with em,,

alex unless i've missed something,,, to track and locate a radio signal to an exact location???????,,,leaves me wondering,,

dave place it in the back of your mind mate,,,you've done nothing wrong,,and yeh its a pain in the butt,,,, probably the same when the idiot at work jumped on my computor and made out he was me,,,,,,,,,

choppa

tunaman
02-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Thats a little hard choper. I thought you had thinker skin than that.
The word idiot means, that I simply dont understand you. We see idiots on the road, we see idiots all over the place. Dont let them get under your skin. The world is made up of all sorts of people some good some bad, but understanding is the key.

signed tunaman

Big_unit
03-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Wow this is the first time I think I havent been smack bang in the middle of a good old Ausish conversation or contortion of the english language and all our own paticular slants on who said what depending on how hungry / pissed or tired we are at the time. Not to mention just how strongly or not you beleive in the cause at hand.

Settle fellas, tomorrow's weather is good so lets go fishing !!!

ssab1
09-01-2007, 06:00 PM
choppa basic answer is triangulation,reverse plot transmission 2xrecieving stations,was basicly developed WW2 can assure you it is a lot more refined today.cheers alex

bay_firey
09-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Alex

That is great for a simplex channel but when operating on a duplex chanell and bouncing off the repeatrer all you are going to do is locate the repeater

finga64
09-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Sorry to hear about the drama's Nugget.

I just get fed up with the wallies on the radio swearing and talking like they're in the pub late on a Friday night. They could not give a rats about who's listening like our wife's and kids.
Sometimes I turn it off because of the wallies.
The radio is a safety feature not a phone. One day an accident is going to happen and nothing could be done because some wally is playing up on the radio acting the goat.
That's one of the main reasons I got DSC on my VHF.
I'd like to see the coms guys do a radio license check one day.

Charlie, one day we're going to hear you singing across the bay and come and find you. Sing louder for us please to make the job easier. :D
Cheers all
Scott (luckily Mr. Nobody) :D

charleville
09-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Charlie, one day we're going to hear you singing across the bay and come and find you. Sing louder for us please to make the job easier.#:D

Hehehe!!!

;D ;D ;D

ssab1
09-01-2007, 08:13 PM
bay firey,simplex one way,duplex between transmitting and receiveing parties,repeater just that used to carry your rt further can be used as a know position but hardly needed,when you transmit you send a signal thats how a transmitter works,the radio signal is not a light it radiates, thats why you you can communicate all around you .the rest is basic.duplex simplex .cheers alex

ssab1
09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
forgot one half duplex,simplex,duplex,bloody fancy words for sending signals short distances,long distances(in repeater areas),or by freqency changes in..... out,.cheers alex

Great_White
09-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi Dave, I just wanted to let you know I support your actions and I hope the person is caught #>:( >:( >:(

A joke is a joke but when it has the potential to damage your reputation or income earnings it stops being funny.

Let's hope it stops and more people on this site see it from your point of view.

Peter.

ed_man
11-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Here , Here to all those that have posted. Any more news Nugget on the culprits of this outright disgusting behaviour!!! :-?

Cheers

Brian