PDA

View Full Version : would you do it

threadfin_jim
10-01-2007, 07:35 AM
i read with interest about all the crab and pot thefts going on and also about the guy that allegedly shot at a boat that was apparently checking his pots. this guy was hit with heaps of charges over this incident....most of us have had our pots robbed, so the question is .'is this guy a out and out criminal or his a martyr ??consider that he is 80 years old and probably was just fed up...what do you think

gilbo
10-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Sure some one cut me off this morning and nearly ran me in to a power pole, could have been a lot more serious than losing a few crabs to a thief. Lets shoot him too.

Come on - I know it is annoying to have your crab pots raided and basically amounts to theft, so is everyone that shoots at a thief a martyr. Lets put it in perspective people.

Nic
10-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Old duffer, he would have done better to shoot some photos of the thieves.

PinHead
10-01-2007, 09:01 AM
age is not an excuse for breaking the law..as for shooting at other people...the USA is good at that..don't want to end up like them thanks.

S.S.
10-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Here Here Pinhead!

Just don't steal out of pots up in the Cape.... she's still the wild wild west up there and you'll end up as crocodile poo.

Poseidon
10-01-2007, 09:19 AM
As frustrating as law breakers are...........no excuse to take a gun to someone.

Leave the 'shoot first ask questions later' approach in another country please.

DR
10-01-2007, 09:23 AM
i don't condone it, but, maybe, if a few of these a**eholes were shot it might make a lot of opportunists have a second thought about stealing pots in case the owner is a psychco & out there waiting.. ;D ;D ;D you will never stop the hadcore.
the law is not much help.. & it doesn't matter how crazy or tough you are , there is always someone crazier or tougher out there....waiting :o

Steve_Monckton
10-01-2007, 09:42 AM
As far as stealing from other people, it is just the way society is these days. unfortunately a lot of people accept it as par for the course and what was considered a criminal act 20 years ago is now just a normal pastime activity. Until it happens to YOU and then it all changes. The " do unto others" and "respect for others" has lost popularity. It seems to be a major drama even just to go fishing these days in this unlawful society as there is always someone who wants a piece of you because you are enjoying your pastime or hobby. I have had to defend myself a few times from no life idiots in the last couple of years whilst out jewfishing and it is getting worse every year. It makes you wonder!!!

el_carpo
10-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Nah. Wouldn't shoot at 'em for a crab pot. Shooting is for saving lives, not evening scores.

;D Besides, if you're lucky enough to discover the identity of the goat kissing dingoberry who is stealing from you, shooting him would keep you from having years of fun with him.

Mind games! That's REAL revenge. Picture it, Mr Doofus wakes up in the morning to get his paper and finds the first of zillions of tiny plastic crabs you place for him to discover. He goes to work--plastic crab in his parking spot. Walks his dog--plastic crab on the path. Takes out his trash--plastic crab on the bin. Mows his lawn--plastic crab lawn infestation. You get the idea. By the time you're done with him, he'll be checking himself into the looney bin.

;D If you really want to scare the stinker, number them! ;) Start at 1000 and count down to 1. By crab number 10, he'll be hiding in a cave in Siberia! ;D ;D ;D

Not that I condone or recommend stalking. But it would be funnier than anything ever done! ;D

Lucky_Phill
10-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Interesting topic Jim and lots of good replies ( el-carpo :o )

What we feel like doing to the CPT ( Crab Pot Thieves ) is endemic to the burgeoning Australian Culture. As Aussie's we tend to seek immediate justice for any crime commited against us and in an ideal world that system is to be admired. Unfortunately, we live in a society still not sure how to treat its populace and in saying that, there is Law and there is Justice and those two sit in the same boat but with different oars.... if ya know what I mean. ;)

NO, we do not shoot CPT and their like. We take various courses of action:-

We give in to these ferets and buy our crabs from the retailer ::)

We continue in our endeavours, hopeing our pots are intact next time :-?

We take note of rego numbers etc and pass them onto the relevant authorities that we hope and pray will do something to these people. :-/

I know there are many of us here that are prepared to follow through with a ' legal ' remedy against the CPT, but we need to know that the Laws in place are sufficent to have Justice served.

This is now bringing us to the next big question.. What is a suitable punishment for:-

A. Crab Pot Thief

B. Serial Crab Pot Thief

C. Serial Crab Pot Slasher and Thief ( it is one thing to raid a pot, but another thing to damage/ destroy ones property )

Another question that must be asked:-

Are YOU prepared to go to court ( any number of times ), give evidence, be cross examined by the CPT solicitor and in some cases.. lose pay ?

My answer to that is YES, so long as there is sufficent monetary and incarceration punishment, and or confiscation of possessions, that is able to be handed down in a guilty outcome.

Cheers Phill

Derek_Bullock
10-01-2007, 05:51 PM
My answer to that is YES, so long as there is sufficent monetary and incarceration punishment, and or confiscation of possessions, that is able to be handed down in a guilty outcome.

Cheers Phill

Phil

I been working in and around jails for 35 years. Never seen anyone in there for stealing crab pots. ;D

Probation, fines, good behaviour bonds, slap on the wrist but never known incarceration.

Derek

toymod
11-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Them stealing pricks should be shot

Just my 2 cents worth

roz
11-01-2007, 05:02 PM
My answer to that is YES, so long as there is sufficent monetary and incarceration punishment, and or confiscation of #possessions, that is able to be handed down in a guilty outcome.

Cheers #Phill

Phil

I been working in and around jails for 35 years. #Never seen anyone in there for stealing crab pots. #;D

Probation, fines, good behaviour bonds, slap on the wrist but never known incarceration.

Derek

IMHO you are both correct.

After all it is petty theft, and annoys the daylights out of everyone who sets pots, I've been the victim of 'share farming'.

Emotional people with guns....not a good combo & the person with the gun is more likely going to end up in jail rather than the thief.

Best thing ANYONE can do is..... if possible take photos, go to the police and make a statement & be willing to bat on with the issue.

When the matter goes to court it won't be the 'slap on the wrist' fine, but the public humilation (unless it's a closed court), that is likely to hurt the thief.

r.

gone_fishing
11-01-2007, 05:14 PM
no he doesnt have the right to shot at people ( even though they are scumm )
though you do have a right to look after your property even though you get sweet fa from aurthorities
i spose guys have to stick together and force a reaction from aurthorities
get a description and numbers report them bad mouth them to any one that will listen and pray they sink ;D

bushbeachboy
11-01-2007, 05:28 PM
A famous historical figure was reported to have said: "Shoot them all. Let God sort them out." ;D

Derek_Bullock
11-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Cheers Phill

Phil

I been working in and around jails for 35 years. Never seen anyone in there for stealing crab pots. ;D

Derek

IMHO you are both correct.

After all it is petty theft, and annoys the daylights out of everyone who sets pots, I've been the victim of 'share farming'.

Emotional people with guns....not a good combo & the person with the gun is more likely going to end up in jail rather than the thief.

Best thing ANYONE can do is..... if possible take photos, go to the police and make a statement & be willing to bat on with the issue.

When the matter goes to court it won't be the 'slap on the wrist' fine, but the public humilation (unless it's a closed court), that is likely to hurt the thief.

r.

With all the gun laws in place now, the person who takes a gun out on a boat with the intent to shoot someone stealing crab pots will definately be facing the more significant charges and cop a more severe penalty.

Derek

jtpython
11-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Bring it on i say, if your going to sharefarm anybody else's pot you should suffer the consaquences. I've knuckled up with a sharefarmeri had the chase to a boat ramp that i caught in the process once and do they learn no.
Think of all the money one spends to buy the equiptment supply the bait fuel etc..... The fisheries using the chipped crabs to catch theives is doing some good but not enuff. If the guy in question wanted to shoot them he would of but fired to scare so good on the old battler
Thats my piont ;D
And we all still live in a freedom of speech country
? i think lol

DaMaGe
11-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Touching other people’s pots is not on, shooting at them for such behaviour, hmm well not sure if that’s going to prove anything other then misery. Some years in jail are no good for your fishing quota. Would make for an interesting R.I.P message, died while in the duty of stealing crab from fisho's pots.

Lucky_Phill
11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
I went to post this reply last night but due to Server things, it never went up, so I'll try again.

In reply to Derek not seeing anyone in jail for crab pot ( crab ) theft , well maybe it's about time then, obviously the current deterents are not working. ,...... Just kiddin Derek, but take this into account.

Through various laws the following happens:-

1. theft
2. interfering with a fishing apparatus
3. wilful damage

Have the feret before the court as a serial offender to the above and it adds up.

I have known of people spending time in the Big House for far less than the above.

So, has anyone decided on a suitable punishment ???

Other than El-Carpos evil , wicked and downright clever idea ;D

Phill

Derek_Bullock
11-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Phil

Costs around $54,000 a year to keep someone in jail and do you know who pays that, yep, you and me and everyone else out there who pays taxes.

Wouldnt it be better to extract a significant fine from them rather than the bloke who's crab pots were nicked in the first place having to pay to keep the bugga in jail.

Food for thought.

Derek

Kiktz
11-01-2007, 06:57 PM
why use a gun,,,,,,,,,,,, when you can take matters into your own hands.

It is guys that go around stealking pots/ crabs that
dont allow guys to be able to set pots over night.

Aj

Lucky_Phill
11-01-2007, 07:00 PM
I actually agree Derek. " EXTRACT " is a good word. Someone who stoops to being a CPT is inevitably not going to be able to pay ( immediately ) any fine handed down by the powers that be. Paying restitution for a start ( should damage occur ) and then a fine paid into Fisheries coffers is ideal. Pay for court costs, witness costs, prosecution costs and anything else a Magistrate can conjure up.

Having said that Derek, Australia seems to be sending a lot of jobs overseas, like Call Centers etc, so maybe we can ' farm out " our crims ?

Would only cost 1/159th of current Aussie costs to house a baddie abroad ?? More food for thought. ;D ;D

I mean, England sent their crims overseas 200 odd years ago, to an inhospitable land. How good was that decision ??? ::) Bit like the selectors of their current cricket team. Oops. went of subject, :-X

Cheers Phill

lippa
11-01-2007, 07:46 PM
would nudging, their hoprfully new glass boat be ok????????? or how about a reverse monuvere where you can trim your outboard right up, and fill 'em in.

i don't have a gun or rifle. but i am a cranky mo fo, i will do my best to disable there craft. and if they want to throw punches????????????

i'll duck and weave, cause black eyes look bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, the missus has a nasty right hook but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

lippa

BigE
11-01-2007, 08:12 PM
cast your judgement of the poor old guy any way you want but if i get to 80 and can still go crabbin i'd be thinkin ....... what can they do to me???? I think if your a thievin scum bag , you best know who your stealing from and make sure they got less to lose than you.....otherwise your ill gotten gain may cost you more than you bargined for.

it's probaby not right but alot of things in this world aren't.
give the old digger some more ammo i recon

BigE

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
11-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Violence is not an answer to this problem. Sink your pots, hide them, o whatever, but do not cross the law. It's not worth it. Putting a pot in among crab pot thieves is like leaving your car unlocked with keys in the ignition. In some parts of Australia that is fine, but in others not. We have to fish and crab accordingly.

Cheers
Dave

tunaman
11-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Its a changing world, sad, but true. brings a tear to the eye.

signed tunaman

gunnabuild1
11-01-2007, 09:44 PM
How many pots has the old fella lost over the years?
Maybe it's just one more bite out of a dwindling income or pension that just cant cope with any more losses.
Frustration often leads to over the top solutions.

madmix
11-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Well I see a young girl was shot dead in a Brisbane realestate/rental
office, but I suppose the old codger responsible had a legitimate
excuse. (At least he did himself as well).

So as for the old crabber, buy him a beer ???, sorry but for my
money he goes to court thirsty.

Shopping could be a whole new experience if we arm the store
detectives/security with 12g pumps to stop the five finger discounts.

cheers Mick

cooky
12-01-2007, 09:24 AM
he's 80 - let him have some fun!!! ;D ;D

I'm sure he didn't aim directly at them.

Would be a blast to use a gun with blanks and just start banging away like a madman - unless they've got one with real bullets of course.

blaze
12-01-2007, 09:42 AM
bring in the cane, like they do in sinapore?, you know the long 6 foot bamboo job. I reckon that 10 or a dozen welts across the arse with one of those would be a better solution for a lot of crimes, petty theft, break and enters, pot thieves, drink drivers etc. Not only would this free up jail space but I reckon it would be a bloody good deterent. Could have a public caning once a week in the city mall.
cheers
blaze

gilbo
12-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Phil

Costs around $54,000 a year to keep someone in jail and do you know who pays that, yep, you and me and everyone else out there who pays taxes.

Wow 54K to keep these people locked up, then add on the extra costs we have for increased insurance premiums (though the roof if you live in a "high risk" postcode, secrurity measures and devices, picking the kids up from school rather then letting them walk, increased prices in shops to cover for lost stock, and everything else that goes with wanting the ability to feeling safe in this world ,and the drain on society is huge.

But what do you do with them. Maybe one should look at some of the schemes and programs they have in the prisons and while I am far from an expert on it, you do see a lot that makes you wonder at times whether these guys are getting it better in there than they ever had it on the outside.

Leaving myself wide open and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

As for the shooting at people for the crime of stealing crab pots, should we shoot at people for bring in undersize fish, or shoot at them for bring back more than their quota, in a way they are stealing indirectly from the fishing community as if an incident did occur and someone was seriously injured or killed over "crab pot rage", how many would be on here commending the person that caused the injury or death - I would hate to think too many of you. I am not trying to belittle the action of share farming as it is annoying but just trying to put it in perspective.

Cheers

Shane

gilbo
12-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Phil

Wow 54K to keep these people locked up, then add on the extra costs we have for increased insurance premiums (though the roof if you live in a "high risk" postcode, secrurity measures and devices, picking the kids up from school rather then letting them walk, increased prices in shops to cover for lost stock, and everything else that goes with wanting the ability to feeling safe in this world ,and the drain on society is huge.

But what do you do with them. Maybe one should look at some of the schemes and programs they have in the prisons and while I am far from an expert on it, you do see a lot that makes you wonder at times whether these guys are getting it better in there than they ever had it on the outside.

As for the shooting at people for the crime of stealing crab pots, should we shoot at people for bring in undersize fish, or shoot at them for bring back more than their quota, in a way they are stealing indirectly from the fishing community as if an incident did occur and someone was seriously injured or killed over "crab pot rage", how many would be on here commending the person that caused the injury or death - I would hate to think too many of you. I am not trying to belittle the action of share farming as it is annoying but just trying to put it in perspective.

Cheers

Shane

gilbo
12-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Phil

As for the shooting at people for the crime of stealing crab pots, should we shoot at people for bringing in undersize fish, or shoot at them for bringing back more than their bag limit, in a way they are stealing indirectly from the fishing community and if an incident did occur and someone was seriously injured or killed over "crab pot rage", how many would be on here commending the person that caused the injury or death - I would hate to think too many of you. I am not trying to belittle the action of share farming as it is annoying but just trying to put it in perspective.

Cheers

Shane

INDULGENCE
12-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey El Carpo

Do you know where I can buy some plastic crabs plus plastic women just in case some bugger steals my missus. Second thoughts forget the crabs.

Wally

mattooty
12-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Violence is not an answer to this problem. Sink your pots, hide them, o whatever, but do not cross the law. It's not worth it. Putting a pot in among crab pot thieves is like leaving your car unlocked with keys in the ignition. In some parts of Australia that is fine, but in others not. We have to fish and crab accordingly.

Cheers
Dave

I know that you are just helping put the scenario into perspective but sinking pots is crssing the law. What sort of society are we in when we can say, "dont shoot at someone" then in another effort we can only think of other illegal ways to remedy the situation.
Sure, theres a huge space between petty theft and murder but it all comes down to being illegal.
We need to have in some way, a public voice or union to push for heavier hands in regards to punishing/catching these lowlife pr!icks. If we dont start now, then sooner or later another old codger or young mental case is going to end up hurting someone or worse killing them over a crab.
then what, society will blaim the fisho's for not alerting them sufficiently to our problem.
We can all bitch and complain like we all are right now but in reality we have to get out there and do something, wether its taking digi pictures of the scum, creating unions or braintstorming new laws.
Matt

el_carpo
12-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Hey El Carpo

Do you know where I can buy some plastic crabs plus plastic women just in case some bugger steals my missus. Second thoughts forget the crabs.

Wally

I can't tell it on a family site like this, but a very funny joke came to my mind after reading your question, INDULGENCE. I laughed at it long and loud. Sorry I can't share it, but you have my sincere thanks. ;D ;D ;D

EC

grumble
12-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Dont go for the body...Just the bilge...A couple holes in the bottom of the boat would make them go home real quick... ;)

rick_k
12-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Right.

We have handed the administration of justice over to the cops and the courts because that system works best for most, if it is working properly.

The other path is pretty dodgy, and is embraced by a lot of the world now. That path is right is might. There is no justice apart from who is strongest. Bring back slavery. Bring back dictators. etc.

Yes, I know, right now the Golden rule has a lot of force. That is, S/he who has the most gold, rules. And force has been the only answer to that in history.

I hope we get it right. Our 20 month old daughter depends on it. I hope the coppers never put me on hold when I need them. If that happens, it will be time to swap sides.

As to those who want to go the knuckle. All I can say is that the white hats don't always win.

Finally, coppers, insurance companies and politicians all make their living out of crime. Honest people probably won't win.

Well, I said finally, but, this really is final. There is no real sense of community any more. When my pareents were kids, everyone knew everyone else's business, and who was a problem. Doors were left unlocked. Gossip happened. Now we all retreat inside behind locked doors, and barred windows, and move away from our communities.

tigermullet
13-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Absolutely not! In this country we do not have the death penalty for any offence let alone something as trivial as lifting a crab pot.

It is annoying to have your pots lifted and crabs taken but the offence does not deserve the threat of death.

Did this elderly gentleman shoot at the boat without even a proper investigation? There could well have a been a lawful excuse for his pots being lifted. What, I do not know but there could have been.

How would you feel if you were untangling a float line from your prop after accidentally running over it and someone came along and started shooting?