PDA

View Full Version : Toad Fish as live bait

Dory4.1
13-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi All,

Do toad fish work as a live bait? I did some practising with my cast net today and managed to catch 5 toad fish, heres hoping that now I've got the basics, some better quality bait may follow.

Cheers
Michael

redspeckle
13-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi All,

Do toad fish work as a live bait? I did some practising with my cast net today and managed to catch 5 toad fish, heres hoping that now I've got the basics, some better quality bait may follow.

Cheers
Michael

Better ask the Verminator Guru here on Ausfish kingtin he would be only one try something like that loves catching vermin
Mitch ;)

5cougarsthanx
13-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Micheal,
I know of an ex pro fisherman that used to use toad fish on his lines for catching snapper in Port Phillip bay.Personally never witnessed or tried it just his say so.
Cougarman

wayneoro
14-01-2007, 06:44 AM
:o surely not ive never seen anything chase a toadie even as crab bait they get no customers [i put a hugh green one in a pot]

threadfin_jim
14-01-2007, 06:48 AM
many years ago off cape moreton i witnessed about six sailfish that had herded up a patch of toadfish and were howing right in to them.

dogsbody
14-01-2007, 09:37 AM
I thought because they puff up fish would'nt eat them. You never know if you don't give em a go.

Dave.

robersl
14-01-2007, 01:09 PM
last year i caught a lot of tailor at mud is that had toad fish in there guts when i filleted them so yes some fish do eat them but would you catch them if the toad was on your hook that is anybodys guess

shane

BigE
14-01-2007, 02:49 PM
on the plus side you wouldn't need a float ;D

Dory4.1
14-01-2007, 06:08 PM
on the plus side you wouldn't need a float ;D

I was wondering if they can still puff up with a hook through them ;) ;) Sort of like a tyre with a nail in it.

Rgs
Michael

Dory4.1
14-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi All,

Cheers
Michael

Better ask the Verminator Guru here on Ausfish kingtin he would be only one try something like that loves catching vermin
Mitch ;)

Thanks Redspeckle, at least Kingtin catches decent vermin, I guess when you start with toad fish, its got to get better from there. ;)

Rgs
Michael

eddyfish
14-01-2007, 06:53 PM
ah mate' seen jewies caught of bellambi with dozens of the little critters in em' but can think of much better live bait but fish must eat em cheers