PDA

View Full Version : bull sharks

wanttofish
11-12-2006, 08:45 AM
hi everyone

there was an article in the sunday paper about bull shark safaris on the coast.

has anyone been on one and what are they like would be interested to find

out what they are like

thanks guys

>:( :o :P :-[ :)

Brett1907
11-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Don't waste your money!! Do it yourself!!

Check out River Sharks in the saltwater section.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1165275325

The same principles apply in most rivers/canals. With the water heating up they are becoming more active.

Brett

serene_lady
11-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I agree with Bret, The Mary river at Maryborough is full of bull sharks at present, all you need is a tinny because you can find plenty of places out of the wind if it happens to blow. Some are being caught land based in the town reach . We caught 5 last week and lost a few larger ones and in between a few nice threadfin are also being caught . Bob.

doogs
11-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Has anybody got any tips on the best rigs etc to use?

Obviuosly heavy line but what
Bait?
Sink or floating?
Size hooks?
etc

Any advice would be appreciated

DaMaGe
11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
serene_lady a nice few sharks there!

serene_lady
11-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Doogs, Line size does not matter that much, it depends on how much sport you want, but use a wire trace. We caught our sharks on frozen herrings. Some were caught at night with the bait on top, no sinker and about 20 mt behind the boat, others were caught middle of the day on the bottom. bob.

wfryan
11-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Are they good eating?

Must be masses of em around the Gold coast?

cuzzamundi
11-12-2006, 09:41 PM
mate sharks up to 3 and a half foot aren't a problem with heavy mono traces either - you'll get more strikes this way! good luck and enjoy these great toothies!

cuzza

Tropicaltrout
11-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Had one leap from the water at kin kin creek the other weekend stopped us from taking a dip ;D Saw him plus two more in quick succesion

tried to flick lures at him but not a taker.

TT

Brett1907
11-12-2006, 09:51 PM
To make it fun you could try 20lb mainline (braid or mono, I use braid) with 100lb (or larger) multi strand nylon coated wire trace. I made my own 2 hook rigs with 10/0 hooks. Use a good quality swivel that can take more strain than the trace. Have caught heaps of sharks on them in the past.

I used to use 30lb braid but was no fun on the smaller sharks. It also wasn't heavy enough for some we hooked up and lost. To tell the truth, unless you are going all out gear wise (land based game chair included) don't go heavier than 20lb.

Bulls will take almost ant bait, I found livies the best. Stingrays and pike eels are also good, and fun to catch. Float, no float or weight will depend on current, wind and personal preference. Don't be afraid to try each out.

Check out this site for info, got many ideas from it and its links.

http://bluemako.customer.netspace.net.au/index.html

Brett

ShaneC
12-12-2006, 03:35 AM
Anyone tried or caught any in Newport canals?? I have very good access to this area and might give it a shot one afternoon with a six pack of Qld's finest. Any info from poeple who have caught any or spent many uneventful hours there would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Shane

cuzzamundi
12-12-2006, 02:06 PM
gday shaneC,

have pulled up to 4ft outta there, but no decent sizes. anywhere there's turbid water and good channel leading to deeper water they'll be there. so yeah mate, theyre definitely in there, the smaller boys anyway.

dogsbody
12-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Doogs use plenty of burley, i use old pillies and a good splash of tuna oil. On the hooks i use 7/0s circle get a lot more in the corner of the mouth rather than them swallowing the hook. 8 kilo line is ok. Anything bigger than about 4ft is not good in a small tinnie trust me and over that size is'nt as good to eat imo. Cheers

Dave.

tigermullet
14-01-2007, 04:54 AM
I did not like that article about shark safaris. #It seems that they prefer to use small stingrays as bait. #Why kill the stingray? - they might be a favourite food for bull and tiger sharks but just about any bait will do if fishing in the Pin area at night at tide top and just after.

In the winter a fresh fillet of luderick on a 10/0 hook does the job nicely and those baits last less than 10 minutes before being are attacked. #As a berley try hanging a keeper bag of luderick over the back of the boat - you will have schools of bull sharks hanging around in no time flat.

But why bother. #They're a bit of sport if you are desperate. #You can eat them but they taste like sh*t.

VoodooChile78
14-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Howdy all...

I am keen on catching (and releasing) a shark or two and was thinking about Schultz Canal down Nudgee. I've heard it's full of Bull Sharks...any truth to the rumour?

I would love to go after sportfish but bit hard without a boat! Only good place I know for a chance at Kingfish, Mackeral etc off land is Straddie and can't get there every weekend.

I'm not really sure about berleying too much...don't want to attract sharks if they are not already there...a lot of people take their dogs down there...

Blackened
14-01-2007, 05:32 PM
...a lot of people take their dogs down there...

G'day
Looks like you have found your bait then :P

Seriously though, any of the canals/rivers like the schultz like you mentioned will hold the sharks you are after.

I have heard the sandgate pier may be a better bet though.

Dave

PinHead
14-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I have just finished watching a show on Animal Planet...top deadliest sharks...last 4, Mako. 3, Tiger. 2, great White and 1..the bull. Very interesting show...bulls have been found 2000 miles up the Amazon..then they showed some pics of a city..I thought that looks familiar..then they said Brisbane Australia..oops..that is us..a biologist at UQ is doing research on them..catching them 60 miles up the Brisbane River using live mullet for bait. A very informative show on sharks and some fantastic footage if you get the chance to see it...well worth it.

Blackened
15-01-2007, 07:16 AM
G'day
I've also seen that show pinhead, like you said very informative.
They mentioned an attack many years up at ipswich by a bull, the town was outraged and came down to the water to find it, catch it and kill it.
Inamongst the commotion with everyone in the water the same shark (they think) swum up and rendered serious injury to one of the townfolk who was looking for it, making it 2 attacks in one day.
It was kinda inevitable though.

Dave