PDA

View Full Version : Killing fish?

dogsbody
14-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Gday all After my recent 1st real crack at soft placcies and having a few destroyed i wondered what happens to the fish after they get a chunk of plastic in there stomach? Does it pass through them or is it to big to get out the jacksy(a$$)? I know this is a tuff one to answer but just because they swim away does'nt mean there sweet.
I know the gulp range break down but how long does that take? Is there any evidence or research done?
Your thoughts please.

Dave.

tunaman
14-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes dogsbody, take it from me ;D, they pass through no worries. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman ;D

Feral
15-01-2007, 05:58 AM
Dunno. But I have never had a fish eat a soft plastic on me, I either get them back more or less intact, or lose the hole jig. I'd reckon with a hook and 1/8oz lead in it's body somewhere, the plastic bit would be the least of its worries.

The reality is a portion of caught and released, or "missed" fish will die. I dont know what that portion would be, but I try to minimise it as much as possible. IE I use circle type hooks with bait, be gentle with fish etc etc.

DaMaGe
15-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Only fish Bio-degradable plastics, least you can sleep easily at night.

Nic
15-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Perhaps the fish would cough it back up? I don't know of any studies that have been done on the subject. If you're worried, I guess you can do what DaMaGe says and just use Gulps or FoodSource.

gone_fishing
15-01-2007, 04:52 PM
that a mighty fine question dogsbody
i have had heaps of sp's bitten in half
never found the remains of any in a fish though
should only use sp that break down as time goes by i wonder how many little sp are foating or sitting around after being snapped off or snagged a prolution prob of the future ????? hope not :)

onerabbit
15-01-2007, 07:55 PM
TM, I still have a quiet chuckle thinking about your soft plastic exploits, thanks for sharing that one.

Muzz

dogsbody
15-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Tunaman you did'nt, really, soft going in softer coming out.

I do like the idea of using the gulps and intend to use them but gee there is a lot of placcies out there(in shops) that are'nt biodegradable and that is my concern. What effect will it have with fish and or environment.

Feral i too use circle hooks in the bay great hook up rate in the corner of the mouth.

Dave.

Custaro
15-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Bloody hell...whats with all the threads regarding safety of fish?? :-? This site will become a green zone before too long and we'll all be vego's. Don't get me wrong I'm all in for keeping being fish friendly appart from putting one on my dinner plate.

If work is anthing to go by they will do a study on it soon. Couple of weeks back the aquatic group HAD to go do a study on the most fish friendly way of killing fish. I think deoxygenate came out on top. So next time we go fishing dave make sure you bring some plastic bags to pull over the fish's head ;D

tunaman
15-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Dogsbody, onerabbit ;D. To tell you truth, I didnt find a trace of it. ;D

signed tunaman

dogsbody
15-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Bloody hell...whats with all the threads regarding safety of fish?? #:-? This site will become a green zone before too long and we'll all be vego's. Don't get me wrong I'm all in for keeping being fish friendly appart from putting one on my dinner plate.

If work is anthing to go by they will do a study on it soon. Couple of weeks back the aquatic group HAD to go do a study on the most fish friendly way of killing fish. I think deoxygenate came out on top. So next time we go fishing dave make sure you bring some plastic bags to pull over the fish's head ;D

I know you won't get to the top of the food chain being a vego, no probs there ;)
i'll pack the snaplocks ;D

Dave.