PDA

View Full Version : Sport or Slaughter??? Your Thoughts?

marlinqld
14-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Why would you catch a beautiful 7ft hammerhead, tow it across the bay, then proceed to butcher it at a busy public ramp in front of everyone, men women and children?

The head and tail were kept, and the torso towed out and dropped in the channel, not 100 yards from the ramp.

I have cropped the pic so as not to identify the culprits.

Correct me if i am wrong, but where is the sense in the slaughter and isnt it inviting other sharks dumping it so close to the ramp???

Mike

SWANY22
14-01-2007, 05:26 PM
slaughter i recond some blokes have got no idea

reel_scream
14-01-2007, 05:31 PM
It would appear their brains are made up of brown smelly stuff.

gone_fishing
14-01-2007, 05:45 PM
slaughter >:( >:( :'( >:(
should post the morons pics in a shame post so everyone knows what a :-Xhead looks like
marlin mike i would correct you if you were wrong but you aint
THERE IS NO SENCE IN SLAUGHTER

Synful
14-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Yep, agree with you all the way Mike; slaughter gets my vote >:(

I can understand it if they were going to use the fish for a feed, but at that size they can be a bit tough I've been led to believe, so that sort of defeats the purpose :o

Even if they were going to keep it for a feed, then I don't under stand why they dismembered it at the ramp in front of all the people you mentioned. Sure sounds like they are either trying to attract other sharks to the area or they are just plain stupid as others have so politely inferred ;)

Given that the hammer heads have a reputation as sharks that have attacked people in the past, you would think that common sense would prevail, however it appears that this commodity is in short supply wherever you go these days...

shaneoo
14-01-2007, 06:36 PM
some poeple have just no idea, here we are fitting with the greenies and poeple act this way. In the last month i have witnessed 2 different boats, 1 killing a 4 ft wobbygon shark (just to get his hook back) and then 3 blokes thinking they where steve irwin and stabing the hell out of a stingary, poeple what dont u understand dont distroy what you came to enjoy.

i say post there pix, stupid bastards

and i hope all on ausfisf had a good xmas

StevenM
14-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Shame Shame Shame

Reef_fisher
14-01-2007, 07:38 PM
The only thing gaurateed to attrack sharks is a dead or dying shark, should have posted the full picks of the nobs and one of their boat. Send it all in to the local paper and let them be shamed.

And yes, I take the occassional shark myself. I use all the meat and the rest as bait for crab pots etc.

finding_time
14-01-2007, 07:40 PM
not only is it slaughter but the culprits are dumb if they dumped the torso with fins as this is the valuable part of the poor creature, i wish people would just leave the poor things alone. >:(

Ian

marlinqld
14-01-2007, 07:41 PM
My Thoughts:

1/ If you aint gonna eat it dont kill it

2/ If you must do senseless slaughtering, do it out wide where n oo ne can see it and dump the waste out wide in deep water

3/ Dont butcher it at a busy ramp holding it up like a trophy

Just my thoughts

Mike

PinHead
14-01-2007, 07:43 PM
I class it as slaughter but is it really any different to catching anything else out of the ocean...do we all release grinners unharmed or toadfish ???? I would not do what they have done nor condone it but to some it is no different to killing other vermin that no one seems to worry about.

chief
14-01-2007, 08:16 PM
definantly with you on those thoughts mike

bootyinblue
14-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I say post the entire picture.... There is nothing illegal about doing that.

Someone will recognise them, they will get the message passed through soon enough and may think twice before doing it again.

redspeckle
14-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks for information Marlin_Mike and trouble is you releases it to the media they dramatize the story even more and conversation group's will blame the poor fisherman again how were are not reasonable people when out fishing in Moreton Bay but always's takes one or two [smiley=stupid.gif] to do something like this ( I no it doesn't look but its up to you )
[smiley=disappointed.gif]

Mitch

shubeej
14-01-2007, 08:47 PM
out of curiosity why would they just keep the head & tail
shubeej

onerabbit
14-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Why just take the head & tail?? They dont know their body parts very well??
Then to just dump the corpse.........I call it senseless slaughter.

Good onya ya knobs

Muzz

col_aus
14-01-2007, 08:55 PM
its not any different to the so called game fishermen who catch sharks kill them weigh them and then tow them back out to sea and dump them.now i know someones going to say that it dosnt happen or its not supose to happen like that but it dose.
its got me how they are classed as gamefish in the first place

col

nigelr
14-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Have to agree, col_aus.
I wouldn't call it sport myself, not unless the opponent is released alive and well.
Perhaps it helps sustain an unwell ego, however.
Cheers.

stevedemon
14-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi Mike
mate this is Slaughter not sport i agree with your comments if you are not going to eat it then don't kill these blokes are brain dead yobbo's i could have understood keeping the flesh for food or even for the Dog (Shark ice blocks) if i do kill a shark it is for either home or the dog as Ice block she loves them but we should never kill for the sake of it

as for towing the rest just a hundred metres from the ramp this is also asking for trouble from more sharks especailly at this time of year

my thoughts just shear an utter STUPIDITY :-? >:( :-? >:( an a crying shame :'( :'( :'( that these blokes don't realize that idiots like them are giving the rest of us a bad name in the eye of the public

question which ramp ;D ::) ;D

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

tunaman
14-01-2007, 09:07 PM
IMO, all fish should be sliced and diced out were you caught them at. It doesnt take much time to do it, and at the ramp is not the place to do it at. I fish alot at night and like Ive said before, you just dont know whats watching you when you when your standing knee deep in the black water.

signed tunaman

Black_Rat
14-01-2007, 09:20 PM
It begs the question was the taking of the hammerhead legal or not ?

To cut its head and tail off at a public ramp in front of kids and anyone else (could be sending the wrong message) is questionable ?

In my opinion it's poor form (unless they had legitimate reasons to do so) ! I would rather come home empty handed

Damo.

jackson_4300
14-01-2007, 10:36 PM
I've gotten one that size before, great to catch them that size twice ;)(Bad gaff shot)
but after the photos back it went, to do something like that to it seems pointless.
Pinhead, u make a good point, (but those damn grinners just seem to be taking oer to much >:( )

tunaman
14-01-2007, 11:47 PM
;)

sleepygreg
15-01-2007, 01:44 AM
got me stuffed why they want the head and the tail. It aint exactly 'trophy' material and the eating bits are what they threw away. Slaughter gets my vote. If ya dont want to eat it .....let it swim away. as for the 'gamefishing' side of things.......capture is a rarity these days especially for sharks ....most are tagged and released. Remember tho..education can be a slow process.

Cheers
Greg

aussiefool
15-01-2007, 03:35 AM
I've said my bit in an other topic on c&r , take a feed or cpr and kill for the thrill............. but in this case to me it seems like just a slaughter :'(

as for the head prob keep it to mount.

marlinqld
15-01-2007, 04:58 AM
I dare say the head was for mounting or the jaws.

My main objection was the way it was cut up at the ramp, and dumped not very far out.

Mike

Feral
15-01-2007, 06:04 AM

Yeah and there was nothing illegal about what they did either - if you lot are ashamed or embarrassed about cleaning your dinner, maybe you should give eating fish away?

Not the brightest move filleting your dinner in the mud next to a boat ramp, didn't the ramp have a fish cleaning table? I suppose not since they had to tow the carcass out to dump it (most fish cleaning tables have bins for frames etc)

jimboomba_jed
15-01-2007, 07:09 AM
Post the mongrels pics! An absolute waste of a fish that was minding its own business!

Donnan

madkeen_fisherkid
15-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Slaughter :o, sum people must just have nothing in there brain, n probabkly dnt even give a dam about fishin. just a bunch of real ass*oles. >:(

DaMaGe
15-01-2007, 10:30 AM
There should be a poll, SLAUGHTER has my vote.
I guess they are going to trophy the jaws or head maybe? ewww..

Tim_01
15-01-2007, 11:29 AM
definitely slaughter >:( >:( looks like they pretty much killed for the thrill, what bloody idiots! >:(

Tim.

Dirtysanchez
15-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes I have to agree, its a disgrace in this day and age for people to carry on like that, particularly as they didn't take any flesh home for food ! :-?

As for comments on other fish, well personally if it isn't intended for a meal I do the best I can to get it back into the water as quickly as I can so it has some sort of a chance at survival..

Some people seem to think they have a god given right to carry on like this
>:(

gone_fishing
15-01-2007, 05:19 PM

Yeah and there was nothing illegal about what they did either - if you lot are ashamed or embarrassed about cleaning your dinner, maybe you should give eating fish away?

Not the brightest move filleting your dinner in the mud next to a boat ramp, didn't the ramp have a fish cleaning table? I suppose not since they had to tow the carcass out to dump it (most fish cleaning tables have bins for frames etc)

hey feral read the original post :-Xhead
there is nothing illegal about what these guys did with the shark
but if you dont want it dont waste it
what did they keep the tail for shark fin soup? or the head for fish eye stew???
no trophy hunters is all they be wany the jaws of a small shark on the wall to hand stimulate to their mates
buy a f :-Xing camera!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

Tim_01
15-01-2007, 05:26 PM
I agree 'gone_fishing'.

Tim.

marlinqld
15-01-2007, 05:36 PM
At no time have i said or hinted they did something illegal.

I simply dont agree with the way it was done............. at a busy public ramp, dumping the torso out from the ramp. picture taking like trophy hunters........not my way sorry. total waste if you aint gonna eat it.

Mike

PS: I dont intend posting the full pic with their faces and boat, thats not my way either. And i wont mention the ramp either for the same reason, I dont feel i should or can post them, they were not doing anything illegal so i dont feel morally i should post them. Again, i may be wrong, but thats my way and thoughts.

wayneoro
15-01-2007, 07:33 PM
times are changing # # not long ago nobody would have given this scene a 2nd look # # obviously the people who caught it have no experience with this type of fish # # took the the head and tail home to show off there catch # # what difference between this and you filleting a fish # they took what they wanted and so did you if you are a fisherman you might be aware the our sport is under attack by unemployed greenies etc by giving them ammunition like this you do no one on this site any favours at all if you disagree with killing fish dont fish

dogsbody
15-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Wrong place wrong time to just dump it in full view of all to see.
Couple of knob jockies.

Dave.

Great_White
15-01-2007, 10:00 PM
SLAUGHTER, and I thought the hammerhead was protected #:-? :-? :-?

So aside from Great Whites what other sharks are protected.

As for me I have always been fascinated by them as the seas apex predator, I just cut the line or if I can safely remove the hook and let them swim away.

Peter.

sleepygreg
16-01-2007, 12:49 AM
to my knowledge....the only sharks that are protected are the great white, grey nurse and the port jackson in sydney harbour. Mike...i hear what your saying and agree with you.....they werent doing things wrong, just doing the wrong thing. I think it comes down to a moral judgement...lets be realistic here....we all like fishing...thats why we are reading this stuff...and the vast majority of us are conservation minded. If your going fishing and have a barbed hook on the end of your line...you know you stand the chance of hooking and injuring a fish.....thats the way it is. Most of us also like the idea of taking home a feed.....geeez it justifies all the expense of our tackle, boats etc (well sorta). And who of us hasnt done something stupid in our younger days that we would be ashamed of if we did it now. and im talking fishing here. People like us read this site and most of us agree with these sentiments.....the problem is those that behave like these idjuts would never read these pages and therefore not be educated on the morality of what they are doing. Whats the answer???

Cheers
Greg

marlinqld
16-01-2007, 04:50 AM
Greg I have to agree wholeheartedly.

Not that they were doing things illegally, they werent. The way they did it round the ramp etc etc is my hang up. ............... the answer???????

education????? I think most people know right from wrong....education wont help some.

Yes we have all probably done stupid things mate..... age helps us learn with experience.

Anyway, have had my two cents plus say on this thread, I'll leave it at that.

Mike

charleville
17-01-2007, 06:39 PM
The other issue raised here was that the discarded bits would attract sharks in close to where people are.

I often wonder about that in relation to all of the really nice cleaning tables around the place. People just throw the left over bits onto the beach or in the water. That is OK when there are pelicans etc around to gobble them but it does seem to invite unwanted sharks in close.

Likewise, I have seen some fairly large snapper and offshore fish frames, heads etc dumped at the waters' edge at the boat ramp at the southern end of the Manly boat harbour. There is no through flow of water there - it is at the extreme end away from the bay entry point. It seems to me that that will just attract the grey suits, and I have seen kids swim there lots of times.

Likewise, even the outlet pipes off the fish cleaning tables on the Seaway pumping jetty, whislt dumping the scraps into deeper water, would discourage me from swimming anywhere around there.

tunaman
17-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Thats a top point charleville. Cleaning tables at boat ramps would have to be the worst of the worst idea,s in fishing history. For night fisherpeople, it would be like ringing the dinner bell, and they say most shark attacks happen in three feet [ more or less ] of water. At 1 am in the morning, I sometimes get a cold shiver that runs right through me. SPOOKED I GUESS?

signed tunaman

fisherfemme
17-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Hi marlin

Some people go out to fish and get great excitement at having caught 'anything', no matter what it is, or how big it is. Many would call them ****wits!

Other people go fishing because they want to learn, and they want to get both sides right, i.e. the actual fishing aspect, as well as the moral fortitude to respect that they are either taking a life, or they are placing that life back where it needs to be in order to survive. Either way, each, to my mind should be done with minimal stress incurred to the fish.

Finally, marlin, there are those who have gone further down that path, and who are both happy, and willing to share their knowledge of the 'complete' picture. We can always do with more of them coming through the ranks! Unfortunately, marlin, the morons who butchered that shark will never make it down that road because they just don't give a damn. They're the ones that badly need to get caught.

rough_shag
18-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Agree with all the above,there's too much senseless slaughter all over the planet and that includes marine life,plant life and even humans!.It's a crime not to eat the fish you catch.Jace.

Cloud_9
18-01-2007, 09:41 PM
have seen the same thing with a Marlin.
BTW no pic?

fisherfemme
18-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Are there such things as 'fisheries inspectors' anymore? It occurs to me that, the last time I ever saw, or was approched by one on the Coomera River was approximately 12 years ago, and yet I regularly see people on the boardwalk under the bridges taking home what can only be called 'babies'.
I also have a problem with fish being left to die a slow, horrible death by being left to lay on the boardwalk until whoever caught them decides to go. These people are not just novices, as I have seen some who are obviously quite experienced do the same. Funny how some people can get so much so right, and the one thing they don't acknowledge is kindness.

Marlin_Mike
19-01-2007, 04:54 AM
Cloud 9, pic was posted in original post but has dropped off with the transfer of forum to new server. Will get it back on tonight

Mike

Marlin_Mike
19-01-2007, 04:56 AM
Heres ya pic Cloud 9

Cammy
19-01-2007, 11:06 PM
i have witnessed the same thing, but with a 5-6 ft bull. they filleted one side and threw the rest away, and they gave the fillet to randoms, it's such a waste, and i recon that is slaughter!!!!! i hate ppl that do that grrrrr.

cam;)

griz066
21-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Sport not slaughter

marshy
21-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Mike, I reckon its slaughter, if you made this a poll I think it would be about 95% slaughter to 5% sport. This seems to be the way most people are thinking these days.

Marshy

sarg
21-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Mike, slaughter for sure I think its unjustifiable to kill an animal for no reason other than a trophy wether it be fish in the sea, bears in usa and canada of elepants, rhinos, lions in africa, tigers in india. Crazy I think anyway.

Andrew