PDA

View Full Version : Feb Marine Radio Course, Brisbane

subzero
16-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Hi all the next radio course date is
Saturday 24th February
Venue:
My home at 71 Chatswood Road, Daisy Hill, Qld 4127 (Not at VMR Victoria Point because of space issues).
Start time:
8.30am, finishes at approx 5pm. (This includes the time taken to sit for your Certificate/License)

Costs:
Handbook $30 (This is optional but recommended)
Office of Maritime Communications Test Fee $48.20
(I don’t have small change; unless you are paying the O.M.C direct or have the correct money for this fee then it will be increased to $50-00 for my convenience)
Course Fee: $20. This covers the expense of tea/coffee, biscuits etc as well as the replacement of the bulb in the overhead projector and any other incidentals. (Lunch is not provided but there are shops less than 3 minutes away). This course fee is waived if you are either an active member of VMR Victoria Point or a member of VMR Victoria Points Waterside Assist Club. (It is not waived if you are a member somewhere else).

All up the total cost without purchasing the Marine Radio Operators Handbook will be $70, ($68.20 if you have the correct money).
The cost with purchasing the Marine Radio Operators Handbook will be $100. ($98.20 if you have the correct money).

If you want to book in I need to know from you:
What is your full name? Please also include your Ausfish nickname.
Which test you wish to sit, either the restricted to VHF only MROVCP or the unrestricted MROCP? (MROCP includes MF/HF Radio and is more for the commercial operator or the person intending to join a Rescue Group as a volunteer at some time).
I have to order these papers in from the O.M.C 2 weeks before the course. If you change your mind I will not have any SPARE test papers unless someone does not turn up on the day.
THAT YOU WILL NEED TO PROVIDE ME TO KEEP, a passport sized photo of you that I can then send away to the O.M.C with your completed test papers. (Assuming you pass, the photo will be scanned on to your lifetime Certificate/License)
Wether or not you wish to purchase the Marine Radio Operators Handbook?
Wether or not you are one of our Waterside Assist or Active Members and are therefore not required to pay the $20 course fee?

Payment does not have to be made until the day, cash payment is preferred but other methods accepted are cheque, credit card or PayPal.

Kind regards

Lloyd

fozzy
17-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Hi Subzero, sent you a PM with booking details

subzero
17-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi Subzero, sent you a PM with booking details
Gidday Dave, have booked you in and got all those details.
Having a little trouble replying to you using the pm feature, it tells me I have to wait quite some time before I can pm again. Might be something I am doing wrong but I dont think so.
Anyway, see you on the 24th.
Cheers Lloyd:)

2DKnBJ
17-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Lloyd
Have sent you a PM with details.

Cheers Dazza

subzero
18-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Gidday Dazza, I have booked you in.
Unfortunately my setup on Ausfish is one that is making me wait a few centurys so I cant reply using the pm feature.
I am sure it will be all sorted out soon.
Cheers Lloyd

2DKnBJ
18-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks Lloyd

Dont think i included it in the PM but i will purchase the handbook.

Cheers Dazza

subzero
18-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks Dazza

subzero
22-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Filling very slowly, any more takers :D

subzero
29-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Still looking for more people.
Any more takers?

Sea-Dog
02-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey Lloyd, I am one of those booked in for the Feb course.

I have a question about the photos needed.

Do they have to be the genuine passport type photo that you get taken at the chemist shop ( or elsewhere), or can they be home printed shots from the digital camera?

Would a larger than passport size be better, or just standard size?

(Assuming the prints are good, clear shots)

Cheers, Sea-Dog

Marlin_Mike
03-02-2007, 04:45 AM
U need a good quality passport size pic. They put it into your license when you pass.

Mike

seatime
03-02-2007, 06:58 PM
If you're planning on purchasing a VHF radio or already own one and don't have a licence to operate a VHF, here's your chance to get one.
IMHO 27 meg radios are headed for the door, VHFs aren't much more expensive and they'll pay off in spades when the need for assistance arises.
While I haven't heard of anyone being booked for not having a licence when a VHF is fitted, it doesn't mean the owner knows the correct procedures to use, especially in the event of a distress situation.

tunaman
03-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Would it pay to wait untill 27meg is finished before I change. Iam on the thinking it will be cheaper.

signed tunaman

subzero
03-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Gidday SeaDog, yes you can print your own, preferably passport sized but more importantly it should be on actual photo paper and of good quality.
On occassion the O.M.C have rejected the photo's taken by people themselves and will either ring or write you direct asking for another copy.
If this is the case, they will not mark your test papers untill this is in their hands. (Or so they tell me). In other words, their will be delays in you finding out if you were successful and in getting your certificate/license.
The original photo remains in their files, this photo is scanned on to your plastic certificate/license hence the need for it to be a fairly good photo.
See you on the 24th.
Kind Regards
Lloyd

P.s I totally agree with you Gelsec, their is no comparison in quality and features between VHF and 27meg. 27meg is still a very useful tool however and for those whom dont have VHF for one reason or another it's still far better than relying on a mobile phone. All the best, cheers Lloyd

subzero
03-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Tunaman, 27meg will still be around for many many years. New models are still being produced, but for the range of benefits that VHF offers over 27meg, if you were in the market to purchase a new radio I wouldnt even hesitate to spend the extra $ on the VHF. The price between 27meg and VHF has become negligible with the lowere end models.
A lot of people are getting confused between the phasing out of the lesser 121.5/243 analogue epirbs in favour of the digital 406 epirbs.

Kind Regards
Lloyd

seatime
03-02-2007, 07:26 PM
tunaman

as subzero advised, a 27 meg is better than a mobile phone, not as good as a VHF, but any form of communication is better than none.

just not a fan of 27meg because of their limitations, i.e. their range and their hours of monitoring.

there's always someone listening on Ch 16.

subzero
03-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Gelsec, missed the bit about 27meg being headed for the door. I agree to the extent that as people start to recognise the benefits of VHF over 27meg compared to the narrowing gap price wise, then they will phase themselves out via natural attrition. If people artent buying, manufacturers will stop making.
Cheers Lloyd

subzero
03-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Before purchasing a 27meg radio it is also worth checking your local area as to whom will be monitoring. Some fishing, boating and Coastguard services no longer monitor this type of radio.

With the VHF, if you are in the Brisbane area and you have a commercial vessel such as a City Cat, Water Taxi, Party Boat etc bearing down on you, they should be monitoring VHF Ch16. The Harbourmaster etc should also be monitoring and can be quite often contacted on CH 12/13 Port Op's and as long as you have good reason Water Police can be contacted on Ch 63..... If in serious shite, you can even speak to the hellicopter hovering overhead that has come to your aid on CH6.
Shipping over 300Gross registered tonnes may not be listening out on VHF Ch 16 as they are no longer required to but they can usually be contacted on VHF Ch 70 using Digital Selective Calling techniques(DSC) if you know their MMSI number or put out an "All Stations" DSC alert.... none of this stuff would you be able to do using 27meg.
My choices will always remain VHF, with DSC, connected to a GPS. Preferred make, ICOM, Preffered model 402s

Cheers Lloyd

tunaman
03-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Yes I agree. Thanks for your help. S/ZERO

signed tunaman

fishel
04-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Before purchasing a 27meg radio it is also worth checking your local area as to whom will be monitoring. Some fishing, boating and Coastguard services no longer monitor this type of radio.

With the VHF, if you are in the Brisbane area and you have a commercial vessel such as a City Cat, Water Taxi, Party Boat etc bearing down on you, they should be monitoring VHF Ch16. The Harbourmaster etc should also be monitoring and can be quite often contacted on CH 12/13 Port Op's and as long as you have good reason Water Police can be contacted on Ch 63..... If in serious shite, you can even speak to the hellicopter hovering overhead that has come to your aid on CH6.
Shipping over 300Gross registered tonnes may not be listening out on VHF Ch 16 as they are no longer required to but they can usually be contacted on VHF Ch 70 using Digital Selective Calling techniques(DSC) if you know their MMSI number or put out an "All Stations" DSC alert.... none of this stuff would you be able to do using 27meg.
My choices will always remain VHF, with DSC, connected to a GPS. Preferred make, ICOM, Preffered model 402s

Cheers Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd

We need to get a radio so will look at the model you suggest.

subzero
10-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Hi all, If anyone else is considering joining the course and sitting for their license/certificate on the 24th Feb then they will need to get hold of me before Tuesday night (13th) so I have time to order in the test papers from the O.M.C in Launceston.
Are their any others that wish to attend before it is too late and I order the papers?

Cheers Lloyd

tsea
11-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Lloyd
Yep i'm keen to sign up for the course.
I'm interested in the restricted to VHF and will grab the Marine Radio Operaters Handbook as well. Sounds good. I'm new to the site so am not to sure about PM yet. Do i have to make a number of posts? Have to figure out a way to get details to you.
cheers
Todd

subzero
11-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks tsea, I have booked you in for the VHF only. (MROVCP).:)
You can email me on

lloyd

@vmr.org.au

I have seperated my email in to 2 halves to stop the web spiders from picking up on my address.:-/
If you prefer you can ring me one night during the week on 32083600

With regards to the pm feature, I think you have to have 10 posts up your sleeve before you can send them.

Cheers LLoyd

subzero
23-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Just a reminder, it is on in the morning. (Sat24th)

8.30am start.
71 Chatswood Rd, Daisy Hill, Qld 4127

2DKnBJ
23-02-2007, 07:12 PM
See ya bright and early Lloyd.

Cheers Dazza

2DKnBJ
25-02-2007, 10:09 AM
I headed out to Lloyd's house yesterday to do the radio course.Not knowing a great deal about the correct procedures of using a radio i was unsure as to how i would go.
After a quick chat it was time to get under way.
This is a 2 day course covered in 1 day.I think the relaxed atmosphere made it easier to take everything in with Lloyd teaching us everything he thinks would be in the test paper.I know that i learnt plenty that i did not know and would not have known without doing this course.
Now i have to wait for the papers to be marked to see how i went.

For anyone thinking about purchasing a VHF or has one but doesn't have a liscence this course is well worth doing.

Thanks Lloyd for the top day.

Cheers Dazza

subzero
25-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Thasnks Dazza, hopefully you learnt a lot more than what was only in the test paper;D

License or no license, as long as the people walked away yesterday capable and happy to use your radio if the need arises, I have acheived what I set out to do.
Good turnout from the Ausfishers yesterday, probably about 50% of the turnout and its always great to put a face to a name. I am fortunate that I have my own mini meet and greet every month or 2:)

Dazza, I am sure you will pass with flying colours, all the best mate... catch you on the VHF sometime

Kind Regards
Lloyd

tsea
27-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Lloyd thanks for a top day on Saturday. I agree with Dazza's sentiments. The BBQ snags for lunch was a bonus full marks to your son in law!
It was great to meet some Ausfishers in real life.
When we receive results can we find out our score? I stuffed up an easy question but think i did good.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

cheers
TC

subzero
27-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Gidday TC, thanks for that, I will pass on the message to Brenton about the snaggs, he's a top young bloke who is always willing to help out:)

The papers were couriered yesterday, they probably got them some time today and I would expect will be marked by Friday. Rusults, certificates/licenses should reach everyone by the end of next week but possibly sooner.

Before the automatic marking, each person recieved their individual marks in each section A and B.
Now that they are all marked as 1 section it will be difficult to tell everyones strong points and week points so it becomes a little more difficult for me to make sure that both the most important stuff (Maydays, Pan Pans Securitees) and the rest being DSC, Search and Rescue, maintanance etc etc have been covered properly. It is a means of self assessment by myself on myself to ensure that I cover everything properly.

The feedback on the day was very possitive, most said that I had covered everything that was asked and 2 or 3 thought I had covered most things but were confident that they will get through no worries... I hope they are right;D

If they no longer give you a percentage score, (they dont tell you which answers you got wrong), you can ring Suzanne Whitemore down there and she will probably run through it with you over the phone. She's a really nice lady and always very helpful. I rang her myself today to discuss these concerns mentioned above and others and to pass on some suggestions as well. She was telling me they are having some teething problems with the new system so dont stress if you havent recieved your results by the time frames I mentioned, everyone.... pass or fail gets their results mailed out on the same day.

You can contact her through the OMC website which has the contact details
http://www.amcom.amc.edu.au/contact.html

I am sure you wont have any worries, all the best

Cheers Lloyd

Brumby
09-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi Lloyd

Received my MROCP card in the mail this morning, thanks again for your clear presentation and an interesting day.

Regards

Carl

Sea-Dog
09-03-2007, 05:50 PM
A pass for me too.

I was expecting a better result than 92% though.

I wonder what I got wrong?

I was pretty confident about all of my answers, except one.

No matter - a pass is a pass.

Now - where is that application for a MMSI ??

Thanks Lloyd.

Sea-Dog

2DKnBJ
09-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Make that another pass Lloyd.
Passed with 92%.
Would like to know which questions i got wrong.Just for future reference and so i can right my wrongs.

Cheers Dazza

tsea
09-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Another pass here. Shame about the photo. Some ugly fella.:o

TC

subzero
10-03-2007, 03:04 AM
Congratulations to you all, yes everyone passed thankfully so I can relax again :-)

Unfortunately I dont get to find out what anyone got wrong, but if you ring the OMC direct they will probably tell you. If you do, I would be interested to know. Their were 7 people that scored 92%.
Now that worries me that they have added 2 questions that I have not covered, that the questions are missleading in the way they are written, that the brand new automatic marking system is packing a wobbly or the one that makes my bowels rumble the most.... maybe I have something wrong..... or it could be just coincidence I guess.

Anyway, well done to you all, congratulations and dont forget to use those radios, log on... AND OFF, its all free.... HAVE FUN

Cheers Lloyd

subzero
10-03-2007, 03:39 AM
BTW
This new automatic marking system is supposed to show up if their are questions that people are consistently getting wrong both at individual group level, as well as nationally. This can lead to the OMC identifying a poorly worded question or if people are getting taught the wrong thing. If a question shows that their is a greater than average % of people getting it wrong then they will either contact the indiviual Training Group/Invigilator to correct them or send out a message Nationally to get the Trainers to correct the situation if it is widespread.
This happened twice Nationally under the old system where by people were consistently getting the answer to a question wrong. Initially we were all told what the question was and what the correct answer was untill the question could be re-written to make it clearer and fairer.

Sea Dog, here is where you can download the application for your MMSI at the bottom of the page
http://www.amsa.gov.au/search_and_rescue/Distress_and_Safety_Communications/Maritime_Mobile_Service_Identity/

Black_Rat
10-03-2007, 03:52 AM
BTW
This new automatic marking system is supposed to show up if their are questions that people are consistently getting wrong both at individual group level, as well as nationally. This can lead to the OMC identifying a poorly worded question or if people are getting taught the wrong thing. If a question shows that their is a greater than average % of people getting it wrong then they will either contact the indiviual Training Group/Invigilator to correct them or send out a message Nationally to get the Trainers to correct the situation if it is widespread.
This happened twice Nationally under the old system where by people were consistently getting the answer to a question wrong. Initially we were all told what the question was and what the correct answer was untill the question could be re-written to make it clearer and fairer.

Sea Dog, here is where you can download the application for your MMSI at the bottom of the page
http://www.amsa.gov.au/search_and_rescue/Distress_and_Safety_Communications/Maritime_Mobile_Service_Identity/

Lloyd you have a bad reputation for getting people through with flying colours ;D well done ! it is a credit to yourself and your attitude towards boatie safety ! ;)

subzero
10-03-2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks Damo, you cant sleep either or you going fishing?

Been up since 2.30am. Got a very good mate who is working over Port Headland and I have not heard back from him. Bit worried about the bugger! I assume the phones are down because he hasnt answered, thats why I cant bloody sleep. Little shite will get a serve when he rings :-(
Maybe today

Cheers Lloyd