PDA

View Full Version : Help for the burley brigade (seasick cure)

Owen
16-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Recently my wife Sandra and I went out on a friends boat in less than ideal conditions. Nothing new about that, except Sandra has been known to get seasick standing on a stationary boat [smiley=sick2.gif]
Our friend loaned her a little device that looks like a watch that gives you tiny electrical shocks.
I don't know how, or why, but we were out for over 8 hours and she felt fine the whole time. At times we would have been in 1 to 1.5 metre seas, so she was impressed ;D

The device is called Reliefband. I cant find a web site for it, but I have found a few places that sell them. We got one on e-bay 2nd hand. Shop around though, as I've seen them anywhere from $80 - $120 U.S.
I found one Australian place advertising them
http://www.downunderpilotshop.com.au/ReliefBand-p-659.html

I would like to stress that this thing worked for Sandra, but I have no idea if it will work for anyone else. They're pretty expensive, so I'd hate for anyone to buy one only to find it doesn't work for them. Whilst looking for a seller I found testimonials from people that said they worked great and others that said they were crap. One even said thay saw them on mythbusters and they were claimed not to have passed their "scientific" testing (don't start me on the flaws in mythbusters testing).
We figured even if it was a once off fluke and it didn't help all the time it was worth it if it meant we could spend more time together in the boat.

cheers,
Owen

Nic
17-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Does it cause any discomfort? What do the shocks feel like?

thehoodedwarriors
17-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Does it cause any discomfort? What do the shocks feel like?

As a person who all too well knows the perils of getting sea sick, that above would be my question as well!

There are these bands that you can buy from the chemist that have a small button that presses on your wrists for motion sickness for about $15 a packet.

Are these the same ones?

Have you got a pic?

Owen
17-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Hmmm,
I posted a pic, but it dissappeared with the new board I think.
The shocks are quite mild. Ever seen "The Green Mile"? :eek:

Nah, just kidding. There are five or six settings and on 1, you can't really feel it. On 2 it's a little like banging your elbow only not as strong. On 3 it starts to get quite strong.
On 5 it's.... Strangely arousing :D :D

They are nothing like the bands in the chemists for under $20. Those just have a ball in them that presses on the inside of your wrist.

Pic attached

DR
17-01-2007, 08:45 PM
here is one place , there is two sorts , one disposable & one thart can have batteries replaced..
http://www.manordrug.com/personalcatalog/woodside_biomedical_reliefband_device_4182077.htm

Nic
18-01-2007, 08:26 AM
I suspect both the plastic ball and electric shock bands work on the same principle -- by stimulating the pressure point. The ball bands don't work for me but I suppose the electric ones might be worth a try, provided they're water-resistant.

Nic
18-01-2007, 08:26 AM
The best cure, of course, is to catch a good fish -- then your brain forgets all about being sick. :)

Noelm
18-01-2007, 09:14 AM
one thing I have found is a lot of people do not get sick in the afternoon, I think it has something to do with being awake or something, a normal lunch and so on, also if they suck/chew some sort of lollies, especially aniseed/licorice types it seems to ward of the old sea sickness as well, works for most people.

Pistol_P
18-01-2007, 02:55 PM
The best remedy for sea sickness that I have found is to have a couple of bits of dry toast in the morning and have one of the 'Travacalm" tablets from the chemist.
Now when you buy the travacalm make sure you get the ones in the blue & white packet.....the natural ginger ones dont work.....I had a mate who would get sea sick at the thought of going offshore and he now does this and NEVER gets sick.

Nic
18-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Yep, I used to still berley up when taking Kwells, but as soon as I switched to Travacalm (the 'Original' version) I was fine. The drowsiness is a bit of a pain, but it's better than bending over the side shouting "Europe" at the sea. :P

jtpython
19-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Can they be bumped up to a couple thousand volts could take my wife out and use one then next trip might be in a 40 foot flybridge cruiser from the life insurance policy. hahahahah
Opps only joking