PDA

View Full Version : Who would use this service?

Duyz72
17-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Hi fellow Ausfishers,

am considering starting up a new business, towing boats to the ramp for folks, putting their trailer in secure lock up and pick up and deliver home. 24hr service, local call costs, and UHF contact also. Was wondering an indication of how many, if any would use this service? Charges would be either via yearly membership (for regulars) or a user pays system. Not sure of costs just yet, but it would be varying depending on distance travelled etc.

Also tell me what you might be prepared to pay for such a service?

caloundra
18-09-2005, 07:28 AM
mate not sure about others but if I'm driving to the boat ramp myself why would I pay someone to tow my boat there? maybe if the boat was parked in a storage yard.
how would it go if i arived home later than I informed you, that would make you late for the rest of your pickups would you charge me a more for waiting
I like the idea of safe trailer storage

Daniel

Duyz72
18-09-2005, 02:27 PM
It would be a pick up and passenger service, a person would not need to do anything except book in a pick up time. We would come out to your place, pick up you, the boat and your mates (if any). On the return, the UHF, CB, 2 way etc will be used to confirm return times. Of course this also applies to early returns.

But with the feedback I have gotten from around the place, it might be easier to just provide security car parking near popular ramps. Although it would cost more $$$$ for start up and on going costs for us (which unfortunately would be passed on to customers)

We thought of this idea from so many people having their cars broken in to, trailers stolen etc from ramps. And also from people who do not have a big enough car etc to tow their boats or get it up and down ramps safely. And those with only one car families who can't reallly leave their car at the ramp all day or over night.

agnes_jack
19-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a good idea Duyz!!
I'm sure there would be a lot of people who would take advantage of the service, just for peace of mind that the trailer and car are safe.
You would need some damn good insurance though :o
Good luck, you may be on a winner there.

Regards, Tony

Heath
21-09-2005, 08:59 AM
I would when the missus needs the car & I want to go fishing. Could even go solo knowing there will be someone there to help launch & retrieve the boat.

krazyfisher
25-09-2005, 08:24 AM
i would be handy if you wanted to buy a bigger boat but could not afford to get the car need to tow it

bruce4x4
25-09-2005, 06:49 PM
would you not need a lot of trailers to coup with different sizes of boats
that may very from 10 foot to 25 foot :)

other wise good idea

Needmorerum
28-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I think the trailer used would be the one under your boat currently.

I think it is a good idea. I'd use it, I do alot of my fishing solo, and it's a pain launching and retrieving the boat.
Dollar wise, don't know. Could be based on what a taxi would charge for the trip, plus a little extra, maybe 20 or 30% for the towing, launching and retrieving.
You'd have to have quite a few people working for you. Lets say the weather is good on Saturday, I've got three others in my street alone that have boats the same as mine (575), and we all generally go at around the same time. The trip to the ramp is about 15 minutes, and then there would be time at the ramp, time to put the trailer into lockup and then return time before your even hooking up the second rig.

Just my thoughts,

Corry

88fishframe
29-09-2005, 09:44 AM
I started a similar service to this in my own home - just a matter of marrying, I mean employing, the right wife, I meant to say employee for the job. I get a lift to the ramp, help with the boat and make a call when ready to be picked up. No money changes hands but it's not a one way street, that's for sure !!

All jokes aside, this has got potential as most boat ramps in my region [NQ] are poorly equiped and have little or no security. In fact, the major ramp in Townsville has very limited parking on a weekend - if the weathers good, the carpark is full by 7.00am and we often have 50 or more boats overflow with nowhere to park car and trailer.

Gbanger
29-09-2005, 10:06 AM
not a bad idea, you could market to boat dealers to include it for first time boat buyers in their purchase package... BMT + trailering/launching for a year... would certainly get a lot more women into the hobby i think..