PDA

View Full Version : STOLEN POTS - BOYNE RIVER

DNO40
06-01-2005, 06:20 AM
:-[ :-[ :-[Neighbour had two pots stolen from the Boyne River over the break. He is quite pissed as this was thier first dip in the briny. This is the first I have ever heard of Pots going missing in the Boyne and have since been told that this has happened before during school holidays. This is something I don't want to believe is starting to happen in an area that has never been prone to thieving. >:( >:(

Anyone with info can pm me.

Ps......both Orange round Pots

Needmorerum
16-01-2005, 09:43 PM
I have had pots nicked in the Calliope and Enfield, both times during school holidays, I now refuse to put them in during this time, unless I can watch them.

Corry

macdwp01
30-01-2005, 07:30 AM
I've had several pots stolen from the boyne over the years not including the number of times they get raided. I used to put a ring tie over the joinging of the pot just to know if the pot (thats if it was there when i went to check it) had been raided. More often than not the ring tie was gone. Your right though if you put pots in on school hoildays or weekends then chances are they wont all come back. I had a pot stolen about 6 months ago and i vowed to never put a put in unless it was sunk with the brick and rope method. Now all i do is troll a grappelling hook on the bottome when i go to get my pots and am yet to lose a pot.

finga64
03-02-2005, 12:44 PM
nearly as bad as pinching pots is robbing pots!! At Evans Head over X-mas some lowlife b--stard stole the crabs and left a $hitty nappy in the pot instead ??? The better 1/2 wanted to leave a handgrenade bobby trap for the next one. Sounds good!! ;D

macdwp01
06-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Sounds good alright, what kind of human being leaves a dirty nappy in a crab pot. >:(

mini696
01-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Sounds good alright, what kind of human being leaves a dirty nappy in a crab pot. >:(

What sort of person carries a dirty nappy in their boat??

propdinger
01-03-2005, 02:02 PM
sounds like someone had the sh!ts

BladeRunner
03-03-2005, 05:16 PM
My mates pissed off to, he had all his pots rip off just recently from the Boyne. Went to the police to report it as well.
Who ever is responsable better watch out. He is ropeable .

Might have to put the old Blade on reconnaissance duty.

BladeRunner [smiley=bandana.gif]

trapem
12-04-2005, 10:01 AM
the problem we face is we do what the law says, however do a bit more regardless of the cost of the pot.

add extra marks to the steel, plastic whatever and take some pictures and then file them.

then mark your floats "pots xtra id" and (include this in the piccies).

if they are stolen, then take a photo to the police and fisho's it only takes a few moments, but how long do you have to work for to buy them and how many times do you have to do it.

stay happy
mike.

coraltrout68
16-04-2005, 03:02 PM
I have often put my crab pots in off the banks in one of the creeks that runs off the Boyne and I returned one day to find that some cheeky bugger had cooked and eaten the crabs I had inside my pot - there was evidence of a camp fire right next to where my pot was and they returned the cooked shells to my pots, after they had eaten the crabs - nice of them to leave me something and they didnt take my pot!

Moffy
16-04-2005, 05:22 PM
pot theives have been around forever and will be for as far as i can see (i'm not saying its right - they're a bunch of low lifes)- you just have to outsmart them - as far as i know you only need a float if the pot is not attached to something (tied off to the bank or a jetty etc).

we usually (when we are not feeling lazy or are up the river mid week) tie the pots off on the mangroves - use a dark coloured rope and often bury the rope in the mud so it cannot be seen.

have been up the river and seen the biggest known pot thief in the district working the opposite bank - he did not even know we had pots in despite him having just "worked" the bank where our pots where.

bit of extra effort - but its a lot more fun crabbing when your gear doesn't get ripped off. (just have to pay a little bit extra attention to where you left your pots ;))

mackmauler
18-04-2005, 09:32 AM
if he had worked the bank he would have trolled a light reef pick with some chain on it, catch some big flatties between pots doing that 8)

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
08-06-2005, 06:13 PM
We've all lost pots and to thieves over the years. It does really give me the sh#ts too. If your float is clearly marked, and fish hooks are placed at irregular intervals along the rope, it seems to stop them after the first one! :-X

Dave

turkey_beach_boy
26-10-2005, 10:08 AM
THEY TELL ME TO A CRAB POT THIEF THOSE NEW ORANGE POTS ARE LIKE PULLING UP $50 DOLLOR NOTES.THEIR ARE LOTS OF YOUNG KIDS ON RIVER AT HOLIDAYS TIME. THEY GO UP AND DOWN RIVER IN THEIR BOATS RAIDING OUR POTS. >:( >:( >:( >:(

MIKOS
26-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Id say the person with the dirty nappy if he gets caught has required them before.Id say hes been caught once before and $$$hit himself a few times
Now hes being safe not to do it again.Good luck CQHORNET ive had my pots stolen after they hit the water 1 hour later.Lucky that I didnt catch them. >:(I rekon i would have had to report a marine incident ;)

MIKOS

BG
27-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Stealing someones pots is nearly as bad as stealing a blokes tools. What goes around comes around and hopefully this theifs day is coming real soon.

fishingnottake
27-10-2005, 08:43 PM
i used to have a shocking time with my pots getting flogged until i just threaded some hooks through the middle metre of three meters of some of my ropes crabbing rope then when i dropped a pot out next to it dropped three cinderblocks with the hook rope tied to it seems to slow them down when it turns into a lottery.

fishingnottake
27-10-2005, 08:45 PM
though i did get a few pots cut off by unsatified punters just had to drag em with a grapnel anchor to find them,