PDA

View Full Version : Crab pot run over by boofhead

Just_chips
29-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Whilst chasing some sandies with my kids the other morning we had our pots set out the mouth of Cabbage tree creek, A boat load of blokes came in from out in the bay and motored straight over the top of one of my floats #:-? . It wasn't hard to see they just weren't paying attention. #Consequently the rope wrapped around his prop and eventually cut the line, so now the pot is lost, #if for any reason an ausfisher drags it up it is labelled with my name and details. #Please get in contact and I will gladly pick up and deliver sixpack of your choice as well. #

I gave up leaving pots out overnight and fishing out of sight of them because of thieves knocking them off at $40 a pop, but this just left me dumbfounded. #At least I got my float back because I buy the decent ones and these can get expensive after a while too.

Cheers Kev

sempre
29-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Kev , know how you fell , some blokes have got no idea about ropes and how a slack tide can make the ropes go sideways to the normal flow

Good luck finding the pot , if someone finds it they will probably steal it .
Unfortunate , but that seems to be how people behave now days .

Sam....

barraboy2
29-12-2005, 04:07 PM
I had stolen 2X$60 pots before Xmas I know how you feel :'(

Spaniard_King
29-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Kev,

I feel for ya.. THAT SUCKS ::)

Garry

fishin_till_late
30-12-2005, 12:40 AM
get abit of rope and attach a big hook to the end of it, drag it along the bottom till u get the pot, thats wot the fella down the road did wen the same thing happened 2 him.

slugo
03-01-2006, 12:03 AM
yep I know how you feel the same thing happen to me.so I ask a couple of mates who are pros and what they do is place weights on the rope about half way down enough weight for the float to float and most important all the excess rope is not also floating and drifting with the tide. so when a idiot does hit your float the rope goes nowhere near the prop as the float will bounce off the idiots boat and you still have your trap full of crabs. what I use is a 1/4 of a house brick and just tie it to the rope and it works a treat.

hope this all makes sense

LEN

ba229
03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
what they do is place weights on the rope about half way down enough weight for the float to float and most important all the excess rope is not also floating and drifting with the tide.

This is a great way of doing it.

Even get some lead sheet and cut it into a nice size that you can wrap around your rope where you think you need it. An old timer taught me that trick.

Storrer
04-01-2006, 08:35 AM
sorry to hear about your pots mate. living on the noosa river i see this happen all too often. in the tourist season it may pay off to tie your pots to a tree on the bank to prevent it being ran over. good luck in future crabbing
Tim

Rainbowrunner
29-01-2006, 08:24 AM
No offence intended.
Was the pot in the middle of a channel? Was the Sun in an awkward place? The person driving the boat concentration may have been affected by the long day out or the bumpy trip back across the bay or other persons in the boat at the time. Im not a big fan of pots in channels where there is a lot of boat traffic as I have run over them a few times.
cheers

finga64
08-02-2006, 09:33 AM
If you've lost a float down the pin way have a look on Kalinga banks near squire island. Last week there was 3 floats tangled up in the mangroves. They've been floating that long that the green stuff was growing on two foam floats (one had the remains of a trap, just a bit of orange mesh really) and an orange float had a phone number but it had too many numbers in the phone number for me to ring the owner. :-/

sf17fisherman
08-02-2006, 11:30 AM
was your float white???

i find the worst floats are milk containor and followed by any white floats as when you get a bit of a chop they become almost impossable to see at any type of speed

for mine i use meduim size foam bouys and painted them flouro orange
and to be honest i have never had one knocked off yet ;)

ROB80
14-02-2006, 06:00 PM
have to agree with rainbow runner. had a similiar experience up near roys landing when we miss judged the run of the tide and got tangled in someones rope mid channel (not that the channel was very wide). We pulled the pot up, cut the rope and tied the ends together again b4 deep sixing it closer to the bank. Worse thing was we did a seal near the prop and cost a small fortune as water got in. hope the same thing happened to your boofheads

Pwoida
17-02-2006, 08:57 AM
I agree, if you're putting your pots in the channel then you need to weight the line otherwise you have to accept the chances of losing pots. I use the cabbage tree creek entrance quite a bit and at low tide the channel becomes very narrow and I get really frustrated when I have to chose between avoiding a floating rope and hitting bottom.

gundog
28-04-2006, 09:19 PM
JUST READ RAINBOWRUNNERS COMMENTS ON POTS IN CHANNELS. HAVE A THOUGHT FOR THE MAD KEEN FISHO THAT WANTS TO GO FISHING REAL EARLY, WITHOUT WRAPPING SEVERAL POTS AROUND HIS PROP. GUNDOG

BigE
03-05-2006, 01:31 PM
sorry to hear about your CP kev. I have got lost CP's back throwing a deep diving lure with sharp trebels just behind (Tide direction) where i think the pot was and the lure hooks the rope and up she comes! to help seek some revenge i attach me floats with a meter of seven strand trace (30lbs) and then the rope makes a nasty mess of prop seals (even those woth line cutters) of anyone ingorant enuff to line up me floats.

E

jackson_4300
14-05-2006, 10:25 AM
I dont use floats, best idea i have had. instead of a float put a big weight and mark the spot where u drop the pot. Later when u come to get it have a small reef anchor or something along the lines. I use a large treble with some weight attached to it. throw it in the direction of your pot and drag it along the bottom untill u get either the pot or rope. only ever lost one pot this way because we forgot to mark where we dropped it.

Blackened
14-05-2006, 01:08 PM
G'day Jackson
This is technically illegal. I also sink my pots and i really dont care if it's legal or not. My pots are clearly marked and where i sink them it's way deep enough for it not to be a problem to the draught of other vessels. GPS markers and a large grappling hook on a rope. No-one knows they're there and i've had too many stolen in the past as it is.
Dave

jackson_4300
15-05-2006, 05:27 PM
what is illegal about it???
I would never do anything like that ;)

goldfish
03-06-2006, 05:49 AM
CRAB POTS IN CHANELS HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM FOR A LONG TIME & ARE LEFT THERE BE INGORANT BLOKES THAT DON'T CARE THAT OTHERS HAVE TO USE THE CHANELS ASWELL. I DRIVE A 30 FT CRUISER, THESE THINGS DON'T TURN VERY WELL & IN A LOT OF CHANELS AROUND THE BAY WE DON'T ALWAYS HAVE THE ROOM TO GET AROUND FLOATS & A HEAP OF ROPE. THESE GUY'S THAT LIKE TO LEAVE THIER POTS IN CHANELS TRY LEAVING YOUR LETTER BOX IN THE MIDDEL YOUR STREET & SEE HOW THAT GOES. THE CHANELS ARE OUR (BOATIES) STREETS USED FOR GETTING FROM 1 PLACE TO ANOTHER, HOW ABOUT WE TREET THEM AS THAT THEN WE CAN ALL ENJOY OUR TIME AN THE WATER

Sea-Dog
22-06-2006, 10:50 PM
In relation to the legality of sinking your traps - Once again, it is open to interpretation.

"In tidal waters up to 4 crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. When
fishing for mud crabs and blue swimmer crabs a person in possession of the apparatus must be at least 15 years
old. Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner.
When not fixed to something they must have attached a light coloured surface float, not less than 15 cm in any
dimension, with the name of the owner clearly inscribed on it. Regulated crabs must be removed and returned to
the water immediately." So what if you fixed the pot to something like an anchor, or a brick? - Then no float is required!

Blackened
25-06-2006, 12:12 PM
G'day
I fix pot number 1 to pot number 2. They're both fixed?.
Dave

hussy
02-07-2006, 06:20 PM
maybe the boofheads had trouble getting around the pots in the mouth of creek. can be hard to see trying to navigate and dodge pots at the same time

aussiebasser
05-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Any I catch trollin' with a float are returned to the water. Without a float they are considered lost and become the property of the finder. I haven't bought a pot in years. Best day was two brand new collapsables in one hit. One was tied to each end of a length of rope, thank you!!

Jeremy
06-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Any I catch trollin' with a float are returned to the water. #Without a float they are considered lost and become the property of the finder. #I haven't bought a pot in years. #Best day was two brand new collapsables in one hit. #One was tied to each end of a length of rope, thank you!!

Interesting point of view. Does that apply regardless of whether they have name and address on them?

Jeremy

Blackened
06-07-2006, 10:25 PM
G'day
Good call jeremy. My pots are ALWAYS marked with full name/address and phone numbers. If someone took them that's blind theft.
Dave

BrandonH
07-07-2006, 11:36 AM
there was a guy camping at the pine last night and he had his pots all the way across the channel >:( on the way to the bridge i couldn't see them till i was nearly on top of one of them!! but on the way back i could see them lined up all the way across. not much traffic last night but still a bit inconsiderate!! also he kept doing laps from camp :-/ back and forth full boar!! thought he would flip his boat the way he was going...

there is another thread somewhere on here talking about collecting abandoned pots. DPI deamed it to be wrong wether marked or not, wether 1 week old or 10 years old :o very bizzare..

Cheers
Brandon...

aussiebasser
07-07-2006, 07:00 PM
G'day Jeremy and Dave,

Most people wouldn't put their name to illegally set crab pots, but I have seen some in the Pimpama, and I spoke to the owner of them.

I did troll one up in the Broadwater once that have a very dead 80cm flathead in it. Owner mustn't have been able to find it again without a float. The practice is quite popular in Coombabah and Saltwater Creeks as well. Fairly irresposible as far as the danger of losing a pot that could act as a fish trap for years to come.

Sea-Dog
07-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Perhaps someone could produce "Biodegradable" crab pots. #:-? #

Drop em off.... and if you don't find em again............ No problem - they disappear in a week.

.....Just thinking............... Only just #::)

Sea-Dog
07-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Any I catch trollin' with a float are returned to the water. #Without a float they are considered lost and become the property of the finder. #I haven't bought a pot in years. #Best day was two brand new collapsables in one hit. #One was tied to each end of a length of rope, thank you!!

And any cars that I find in a carpark without a driver or passenger are considered lost......etc

aussiebasser
08-07-2006, 10:15 AM
You could look at it like that Sea-Dog.

So what do you suggest I do. I'm trolling a river and snag on crab pot, set illegally without a float. By the time I get it in the boat and get my hooks untangled I have no way of finding the spot where the unlawful fisher set it. Currents can take you 100 metres from the spot, but even 10 metres is far enough for the pot not to be found again. Do I just throw it back in and hope that it doesn't turn in to a self baiting fish and crab killer? When I snag up, should I just cut my line and lose a $20 lure so you will be able to find your illegally set pot? Do I keep the pot to be disposed of later, or if it has ID on it, which is bloody rare, do I ring the Fisheries hotline and report the owner for illegal fishing activities. It's all pretty bloody simple. Use some common sense and don't set pots in narrow main channels and mark them as the law states. Hang around in sight of your pots and have a fish. You are only permitted 4 pots anyway, so how far apart do you need to spread them? There will always be the thieving low lives around who will steal pots, just don't kill fish and crabs by dropping unmarked pots to avoid the thieves.

Sea-Dog
10-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Question:So what do you suggest I do. #I'm trolling a river and snag on crab pot, set illegally without a float. #By the time I get it in the boat and get my hooks untangled I have no way of finding the spot where the unlawful fisher set it. #Currents can take you 100 metres from the spot, but even 10 metres is far enough for the pot not to be found again. #

Do I just throw it back in and hope that it doesn't turn in to a self baiting fish and crab killer? #When I snag up, should I just cut my line and lose a $20 lure so you will be able to find your illegally set pot? #Do I keep the pot to be disposed of later, or if it has ID on it, which is bloody rare, do I ring the Fisheries hotline and report the owner for illegal fishing activities. #

It's all pretty bloody simple. #Use some common sense and don't set pots in narrow main channels and mark them as the law states. #Hang around in sight of your pots and have a fish. #

You are only permitted 4 pots anyway, so how far apart do you need to spread them? #

There will always be the thieving low lives around who will steal pots, just don't kill fish and crabs by dropping unmarked pots to avoid the thieves.

Dale,(aussiebasser)

I just can't have u accusing me of these things without a response.

Ahem.......

The first thing that you're doing wrong is bringing the pot into your boat - That is breaking the law. What should you do? - I suppose just unhook your lure from the pot or rope where u are and drop the 'offending' pot back down.

The second thing (based upon your use of the words 'you' and 'your') is you're assuming that I set un-floated pots - I don't.

The third thing wrong is that you're stating that any un-floated (you use the term unmarked) pot is illegally set. Pots are only required to have a float 'if not fixed to something' (quote from DPI website)

The fourth thing is that you should try cheaper lures :)

The fifth point. I don't usually hang around in the same area as my pots. Its a good area for crabbing, but I haven't had much success there with fish.

The sixth point. 4 pots, per person over 15 years of age.
I don't fish alone. So how far apart do I need to spread them? About 10 Metres.
Possibly 120 Metres of pots if 3 people over the age of 15 in boat, each with 4 pots. Of course, not in channels.

The seventh point: I do agree with one thing you said - 'There will always be the thieving low lives around who will steal pots'

The eighth point: By all means call the Fisheries hotline and let them know of the pots that you have found and confiscated.
They would be very interested to hear of your fine efforts. #8-)

If you have a look at an earlier post in this thread, you can see a cut and paste job directly from the DPI website on pots without floats.

Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner. When not fixed to something they must have attached a light coloured surface float, not less than 15 cm in any dimension, with the name of the owner clearly inscribed on it. As someone earlier suggested - One pot 'fixed' to another with rope. #If one wanted to be safe - one could use the definition used for 'fixed' when used in the freshwater context:

If the trap is not fixed to something stationary above the water level while being used, it
must have a light coloured float attached. The float must feature the owner’s first name and surname and be at least 15 cm in each of its dimensions. A two- or three-litre milk container may be used as a float. A set line must be attached to a stationary object such as a branch, wooden stake or boat.

According to the following excerpt from a post by 'thesimmos' , you are not allowed to 'interfere'.

Just some clarfication on a post I made earlier regarding being able to remove un-named or crab pots that appear abandoned.

DPI response below:

You are correct in saying that crab pots/dillys etc are required to display the owners name and address. #Fisheries Inspectors are able to hand out Infringement Notices (On the Spot Fines) to persons caught not marking their crab pots in the required way. #The penalty for this offence is $150.
#
However, members of the public are not permitted to unlawfully interfere with fishing apparatus (Commercial or Recreational).

This means that unless you were responsible for setting the crab pot/dilly etc, you are not permitted to touch, move, remove or interfere with that apparatus in any way. #This includes the remaoval of fisheries resources from the apparatus. #

This still applies if it is apparent that the apparauts has been in the water for some time and appears to be 'abandoned'. #

A person caught unlawfully interfering with fishing apparatus (be that commercial or recreational fishing apparatus) can and more than likely would be issued with a Fisheries Infringement Notice. #The penalty for this is $225.
#
Only Authorised Officers, namely Fisheries Inspectors, appointed under the Fisheries Act 1994 are legally permitted to inspect fishing apparatus, and subsequently remove the apparatus from the water if an offence has been detected.

P.S - Just having a bit of fun.
Tennis Anyone???? #::)

Smailesy
10-07-2006, 05:57 PM
not nice

thesimmos
11-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Tut tut crab pot theives.. Is this guy fishing for fish or crab pots??

Simmo

choppa
11-07-2006, 09:42 PM
the answer here guys/gals lies in a response that ""the simmos"" posted in general chat and was in a reply after a mod locked his original thread with the final comment to research his question with the relevant authorities and advise

his response lies at the bottom (currently) on page 3 of general,,,

his original query though prompted me to contact dpi & f direct,,, there answer was posted in simmos response along with the views of the qld water police,,,

for those of you who missed it,,, its worth a read,,

sort of like the answer to a cryptic crossword query,,, its there,,, but look outside the square