PDA

View Full Version : early season thieves

nuffy
14-09-2006, 09:28 PM
thought id try out my new crabngear pots last week for some early season sandies off dunwich and guess what yep stolen. First time in the water $200 worth gone to some low life scumbag.But im sure youve all heard it before just another reminder this season sit and watch the bloody things.

threadfin_jim
15-09-2006, 06:41 AM
hey nuffy...bad luck mate..i certainly know the feelin..perhaps the following should be happening more.......
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/30_2940_ENA_HTML.htm

Blackened
15-09-2006, 08:30 AM
G'day
Sorry to hear that mate, just keep an eye out for them as i'd gurantee they'll turn up local. This is the exact reason why I now sink mine.
Dave

vanurose
16-09-2006, 07:22 AM
They only named one thief, a local plumber Stephen John Wales. I wonder why they did'nt name the other 2 thieves. I sure would love to know their names and the businesses they are in. I hope the locals keep away from them. I have called a few people down there and apparently this plumber wont get any more work from them or others they know.
Shame on these guys. I have been a victim and I know how it feels. I wonder how proud their families feel after this?
They deserve everything they get.

Angla
18-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Glad to see the department pro active in their efforts to catch these *ricks and make an example of them. The other two probably had their names supressed due to the fact they appeared in person before the judge and had no convictions left on their records.

Angla

Cruize
19-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Mate I know the feeling - but here's another low act.
Last season in the Logan river the bastards didn't bother taking my traps, they just cut the crabs out of em and threw the pots back all cut up.

I quess they allready stole enought pots from other people and were too lazy to put em back in so they took my crabs.

vanurose
20-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Hi Cruize
The only types who do that are bad apple pro-crabbbers.
They look at you as opposition. It is their livelihood and they can sell other peoples crabs for money. They know you can't afford to keep replacing your pots, so they hope you get angry enough to stop crabbing.
In Gladstone I knew professional crabbers who were decent law abiding people and one crabbing family deliberately went out after other pros had set all their traps and cut hundreds of pots lose every night. The community found out who was doing it(after months of trying) and they banded together to stop them. The fisheries did nothing so they took the law into their own hands and gave them a hiding.
Guess what? The victims(vigilanties) were taken to court and won their assault case and the community who had been victimised by these pro crab theives all had to sell their homes to pay for defense barristers and court costs and settlements.
Would you believe this same family are still out there slashing and sinking pots to this day and everyone now can't do a thing as they are too scared to defend their property.
We live in a strange State where criminals get more protection the the victims.
Cheers
Rose

grasshopper
27-09-2006, 07:28 PM
hi guys
put 3 pots out one night and 2 hrs later gone.
next time going to put them in ,go round the corner and watch with my video handy then call the police

dave

Bandit1
15-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Had pots out in the logan and was fishing a few hundred metres down from them seen the dude who owns the trawler on the logan come crusing up with his nets out and just ran straight over the top of the floats, he went down further past us pulled his nets up threw our pots on the deck. dropped his nets then continued trawling, makes me think he has done that fair few times...

fishingnottake
16-10-2006, 04:06 PM
did you say anything?

Reef_fisher
06-11-2006, 06:23 PM
I have even gone to the trouble of painting my floats matt black( for night) and they lasted all of an hour!! Just decided not to bother. The pro crabing angle is a possibility, the area is pretty thick with them.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-11-2006, 06:33 AM
sink your pots and use a reef pick without chain to retrieve

staddie_local
07-11-2006, 10:53 AM
bugger ey,

what part of dunhole did you put them?
and did you mark them?
les.... ;)

nuffy
08-11-2006, 07:51 AM
yes les all marked i put them out from polka point

staddie_local
09-11-2006, 08:58 AM
mongrels...

BTW do you live on straddie?

an i guees maby you should sink your post and use a jag hook to retieve em.
les.. ;)

nuffy
10-11-2006, 10:33 PM
yeah les live out the point have a mate in dunwich been crabbing this spot for years never had a problem. must have been my lucky day hey.