PDA

View Full Version : Trailer and car theft from Jacobs Well

tigermullet
13-01-2007, 07:57 AM
I am new to Ausfish and have been combing through the chat boards. It seems that there is still a sporadic problem with theft from Jacobs Well. I have not been game to leave my vehicle and trailer there overnight for many years.

One solution to the problem is to leave your vehicle and trailer at Horizon Shores or Maas Marina. I was a member of Maas Marina a couple of years ago when there was an annual charge of $200 for use of their facilities. I think the price is now around $300 but if you go fishing regularly, and particularly overnight, it is a bargain for the peace of mind that it gives. During the years that I was a member I did not have one problem. They also have fess suited for casual users - either by the day or by the week. I would still be a member but the long haul to Jacobs Well in a heavily loaded dinghy with a small motor got the better of me. In a south east wind everything was soaked on arrival at the Jacobs Well mooring.

My solution now is for my wife to take the vehicle and trailer home but then I go out regularly in the larger boat for between one week and a fortnight per trip. Such are the benefits of retirement.

When friends want to come out for a few days or a weeks fishing they generally use Maas Marina. In a fast boat it adds only a couple of minutes to the trip to the Pin.

I don't know if there will ever be a solution to the problem of theft at Jacobs Well. The Police are based at Beenleigh and I don't think that there are regular patrols. Not to bag the Police but their presence seems to increase in holiday times only for the purpose of checking of registration of trailers, boats etc.

The last horror report of police action that I heard a few weeks ago was that they booked one poor bloke for enjoying a stubby whilst dangling a line from the jetty. The fine was, from memory, $75.

It seems that there is something wrong with their priorities.

finga64
14-01-2007, 06:25 PM
The cook and I were just talking the other day about the lack of Highway Patrol cars we didn't see in QLD and NSW over the x-mas break.
We seperately travelled up and down the coast for about three weeks and between us saw about 4 cars on the road but countless speed cameras.
At one spot near Byron you cruise along the highway doing 100km then all of a sudden your in a 60km zone in the middle of no-where and a 60km speed camera there. There are no houses, no schools, no penguins, no nothing. The all of a sudden back to 100km....fair go maties.
Just before there I was stuck in a traffic jam that was 11km long. Were there any police directing or telling people to do a detour. Nope...just find out and fend for yourself.
To me, they're just after revenue and not really serious about prevention.

bootyinblue
20-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Well you know the easy solution to cutting of the revenue? Dont break the law. When you see a speed camera positioned on the side of the road, it is not there being paid for with Police money. The Police working in the vans are paid by Queensland Transport and they are working those shifts in addition to their normal working hours. It is also the safest way of policing the speed on the motorways rather than using hand held radars and attempting to intercept traffic at 100kmh.

There are Police patrolling the Jacobs Well area on regular occasions now and speaking with Jacobs Well Bait and Tackle any problem that was there has subsided. Look at anti theft devices such as car alarm, steering wheel lock, trailer lock. Park in the lit area, open the glove box/centre console to show wandering eyes that there is nothing of value stored in the vehicle.

Ohh and drinking alcohol in a publilc place is a $75 ticket. Its the law, and there for a reason and I urge you to obtain the whole story prior to judging it a 'horror story'.

tigermullet
21-01-2007, 07:11 AM
I suppose that there must be a very good reason for the law to create the offense of drinking alcohol in a public place but my first reaction was to relate this law to how it would affect me and to wonder whether Queensland was returning to the bad old days of the 'Vagrants, Gaming and Other Offences Act'.

There is nothing better than having a beer on board a boat whilst watching the sun go down. I hope this law does not 'creep' to include that relaxation and enjoyment. Too many years have passed and lack of interest also plays a part in my no longer knowing what constitutes a 'public place'.

I do not have an argument with the police but admit to a feeling of disgust for politicians and public servants who seek to curtail freedom and the enjoyment of simple pleasures by the enactment of sweeping rules and regulations rather than tackling a problem with more well directed legislation.

Why is it a problem for society if some one enjoys a stubby whilst fishing from a jetty?

I swear, if I see Peter smile one more time I'll throw up.

Your tip, Booty, on leaving the glove box and centre console open so that prying eyes can see that there is nothing of value left in the vehicle is first class. Hadn't thought of that. It is such a simple precaution to take.

bob f 57
21-01-2007, 08:22 AM
the whole story about the police is that they hide the camera cars on the motorway with the sign in front of the car not the back so you can,t see it untill your passed spend most of the night in the cars watching vidios not chashing crime having said that i think there job is a thankless task but there not whiter than white when there out there collecting money
just my thoughts
bob

craig308
21-01-2007, 11:42 AM
this site makes interesting reading about speed cameras

http://www.roadsense.com.au/main.html

finga
24-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Well you know the easy solution to cutting of the revenue? Dont break the law. When you see a speed camera positioned on the side of the road, it is not there being paid for with Police money. The Police working in the vans are paid by Queensland Transport and they are working those shifts in addition to their normal working hours. It is also the safest way of policing the speed on the motorways rather than using hand held radars and attempting to intercept traffic at 100kmh.

There are Police patrolling the Jacobs Well area on regular occasions now and speaking with Jacobs Well Bait and Tackle any problem that was there has subsided. Look at anti theft devices such as car alarm, steering wheel lock, trailer lock. Park in the lit area, open the glove box/centre console to show wandering eyes that there is nothing of value stored in the vehicle.

Ohh and drinking alcohol in a publilc place is a $75 ticket. Its the law, and there for a reason and I urge you to obtain the whole story prior to judging it a 'horror story'.

I think a policeperson's job is to a policeperson not a subcontractor to Queensland transport and babysit a car on the side of a road.
Plenty of other sub-contractors can do that.
Why get the police force to act as sub-contractors if they've already done their shifts being a policeperson. Bloody hell, isn't active police work exhausting enough without the extra hours in the camera car??
How can an active member of the force give 100% if he/she is stuffed from sitting in a camera car for a shift and then do a normal police shift??
Something has to suffer somewhere, sometime because of that.
Anybody can sit in a camera car, not anyone can do active policing.
That's like subcontracting our defence force out to be toilet cleaners at a big day out concert.

Marlin_Mike
24-01-2007, 02:16 PM
I think a policeperson's job is to a policeperson not a subcontractor to Queensland transport and babysit a car on the side of a road.

That's like subcontracting our defence force out to be toilet cleaners at a big day out concert.

As long as they dont display the flag while cleaning the dunnies at Big Day Out finga....... they tried that in Sydney remember..............::) ;D

JEWIENEWIE
25-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Finga 64, that might seem like a stupid spot for a speed camera mate but i drive on that particular stetch of road every day and have witnesed at least four accidents on that corner and thee were fatalities in each case, since the camera has gone up there has been zero accidents so sorry mate, in my mind the camera is saving lives.
Jewie

finga
25-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Finga 64, that might seem like a stupid spot for a speed camera mate but i drive on that particular stetch of road every day and have witnesed at least four accidents on that corner and thee were fatalities in each case, since the camera has gone up there has been zero accidents so sorry mate, in my mind the camera is saving lives.
Jewie
That spot has always been a spot for prangs. No matter what speed limit is there, there will always be dills that think they're a V8 supercar driver and try and do that corner at 160km/hr.
If they're that concerned about fatalities why not fix the road so there're can't be any prangs...gees people kill themselves on the dead straight 110km/hr dual carrageway up a bit further towards Tweed.
if the camera is to slow people down why isn't it on the corner??

Is there any big flashing orange lights telling people of danger?? Any warning signs about the 'dangerous' corner???...nope just a 60km/hr zone (with the speed signs over the top of the 80km/hr signs) and a speed camera fair bung in the middle.

What are we going to do??? Are we going to change every highway in Aussie to a 60km/hr just because of poor bugger dies on that particular stretch of road. In that case the nod off stretch of road between Woodburn and Grafton is going to take a long time to drive down when it goes to 60km/hr. There's been countless deaths along there.
If the 60km/hr zone is about safety why isn't the intersection of the Pacific Hwy and the Summerland Hwy not a 60km/hr zone. It's a 80km/hr zone at the moment and there's been countless deaths there.

That particular stretch of road is supposed to be our national highway and it's got a 60km/hr zone and camera in the middle of no-where. It's not even an intersection?????

JEWIENEWIE
25-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Again mate, at least six deaths in the last 12 mths, camera goes up, zero fatalities, none. I agree with some of the things yu have said mate, dont get me wrong, but in this case, the camera is doing its job, but yes, all the accidents are on the corner as you have said so why isnt the speed camera there, i wonder the the same thing! Those cables you see in the middle of the road that i call car catches, are down once a week through someone losing control.
The new road has just been approved so instead of tht corner being there, the hway will go straight ahead through the hillside via a tunnell. There are many things that need to be looked at on that stretch of hway it is a disgrace and unfortunatly, more lives may be lost before it is fixed
Jewie

finga
25-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Again mate, at least six deaths in the last 12 mths, camera goes up, zero fatalities, none. I agree with some of the things yu have said mate, dont get me wrong, but in this case, the camera is doing its job, but yes, all the accidents are on the corner as you have said so why isnt the speed camera there, i wonder the the same thing! Those cables you see in the middle of the road that i call car catches, are down once a week through someone losing control.
The new road has just been approved so instead of tht corner being there, the hway will go straight ahead through the hillside via a tunnell. There are many things that need to be looked at on that stretch of hway it is a disgrace and unfortunatly, more lives may be lost before it is fixed
Jewie
Well that's excellent news about a new road matey. :)
About time. The road is basically the same as when I lived and worked down that way many moons ago (early '70's to....well now ).
I watched a programme about the wires and it's absolutely amasing how much safer they are compared to the concrete barriers.
By the sounds they're doing their job.
And I agree. The road from Grafton the the Tweed is a long way shy of been a national highway.