PDA

View Full Version : Crabbing in the pine

aussie_true_blue
02-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Just got home from a days fishing and crabbing with my daughter in the Pine and, yes, the mongrels are still at it stealing crab pots.

I put down 4 dillies and 4 collapsible pots just inside of the old Hornibrook and went to the new bridge to fish.

I decided to leave the 4 pots down for a about 3-4 hours and went to check the dillies after about 1 1/2 hrs.
As there were no sandies in the dillies I decided to check the pots and went back to pick them up and there were only 2.

It seems the mongrel was waiting for us to have our backs to the pots while we were checking the dillies someone grabbed two of the pots and was at the third when we turned around. The person threw his anchor over and pretended to fish very very close to the third pot but we picked it up and he took off. He was with two young boys.
The person them left in a hurry before I realised the other two pots had gone missing and I had a chance to ask him about the pots

As is was only in the dingy I wasnt fast enuff to chase him.

Didnt get the number of the boat but I will know the fibreglass hull anywhere.

Even though I wasnt more than a 100m away for the pots this feral still managed to get the pots.

1 of the pots is a about 1200mm in dia and the other is a standard run of the mill cheapie both collapsable.

I dont expect to get them back my loss.

We got 4 sandies, a nice bream and a small shovel nose. The bream and the shovel nose were returned alive to fight another day. The sandies have been cooked and are cooling down for dinner.

Cheers Bob

I

Freeeedom
02-01-2007, 06:43 PM
I think I know the boat you mean Bob. I was out there today also - I had four pots down towards the beacons at the mouth of the Pine beyond the two bridges. I was fishing under the Houghton Highway until the tide changed and the wind got up and I then moved up to drift the banks out from Dohle's rocks. Eventually the wind got a bit strong and I quit. My pots were OK and I got 3 sandies. I'll be keeping a closer eye on them now, especially if I see that boat about. Managed two nice lizards, both about 50cm, and about twenty undersized bream
Cheers Freeeedom

StevenM
02-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Bob

Sorry for your loss

Hope you get the bludgers rego next time your out there

clone_trooper
02-01-2007, 07:23 PM
it always sucks to loose gear, but to have it stolen from another boatie is even worse. I don't even use pots any more only dillies and crapy floates for that every reason.

PinHead
02-01-2007, 07:29 PM
I am going there tomorrow morning...will have to keep a good eye on my pots

pegasus
02-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Bob,

Sorry to hear about the theft of your gear mate- puts a dampener on the day. There are some low characters out there. Glad to hear you got a feed. Thankyou for the heads up.

aussie_true_blue
03-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi Freeeedom,

What boat were you in? I was in the 3.75 allycraft and had on a floru orange shirt.

Cheers Bob

madkeen_fisherkid
14-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Gees What B@stards. They must be pretty :(stupid:( to steal em wen u were not even 100m away.

BrandonH
15-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Its not good at all guys :( I was collecting bait in the south pine one arvo last week with a mate when we saw this boat scream into the river with 3 guys and 1 girl onboard.. well when they came into the creek they did a quick turn towards this pot that was near the mouth (only one around). I did't think much of it cause we didn't own the pot or know who did but when they got along side this pot they noticed us and quickly headed back out without lifting the pot :-?
It has been a good 5 years since I have had a pot in the water and its because of @$%#$@%@! like this. the only way to stop them is to sit ontop of your pots witch may not be where you want to wet a line but its the only way to be sure they will be there when you return.

Cheers

Brandon...