PDA

View Full Version : What hook patterns?

Brett_Hoskin
10-12-2001, 08:33 AM
What are the most common hooh patterns for SWF in the tropics. Not the rip off pre packaged ones specifically marked as being for SWF. The ones I want are the ones I can afford. Hahahah.

Cheers

Brett

Wesley_Pang
10-12-2001, 02:04 PM
Brett,

My favourite salt water fly hook is the Gamakatsu SL12S, These are chemically sharpened high Carbon Hooks. These corrode if not looked after but these are the best.

Sharp straight out of the pack, strong and require very little force to set. I just about tie all my flies on this hook.

They are not cheap,but I believe it is false economy to use inferior hooks that break and don't hook up or drop off after you have spent lots of hard earned money on the rest of you gear, and time and effort to get the fish to eat your fly.

The SL12S are available in box of 50.

I also use(but less often now) the old workhorse the Mustad 34007(or it chemically sharpened 34007NPSS).

One hook I will never use again is the Tiemco 800S and 811S. I had one break just at the bend on a good fish. These hooks are brittle and have a reputation of breaking.

Wes

Muzzy
10-12-2001, 04:43 PM
Oi Brett will ring ya monday/tuesday...

will also show ya what I use and buy...

13 bucks or so for about 25 me thinks...

Getting withdrawls mate have not fished in about 5 days or so, are ya keen ish for a fish may be next weekend?

I got a deep sink too!

Muz

Dale_T
13-12-2001, 03:55 PM
Brett,

If you want cheap fly hooks, buy Mustad's big gun pattern hooks. Just straighten the offset with pliers and start tyin'

These hooks so far has proven its effectiveness on tuna, tarpon, bream, flathead, moses perch, bass, trevally, and so on..

Muzzy
13-12-2001, 05:46 PM
Dale...

Cuz try some of your flies on the same hooks just with offsets still there...

some times in shut down situations this variation to the flies presentation gets a goal...

as lure fisho we do every thing in our power to invoke an irratic and wobbled retrieve, why do us fly anglers think so square and flush? may be its our trout fishing history haunting us.

Flies like fat alberts, flashy profiles respond to this good.

Muz