PDA

View Full Version : Casting Problems

dazza
13-01-2002, 02:59 AM
I have just changed my flyline to a 8wt sinking from a 8wt floating. I am having difficulty getting in a decent cast.
The rod feels sloppy. Is it because of the different lines? Would slowing the cast down improve things. Have tried slowing down and speeding up but it dosen't make much difference.
i am only new to this and couldn't cast to save myself. any tips would be appreciated. If all else fails I might have to give Harro a call when I'm down south soon. He will probably have a nervous breakdown when he sees my "style"
dazza

Harro
14-01-2002, 01:57 AM
OK - I'm hooked.
Where are you and when can I see you?
Give me a yell.
Let me know if you're self taught or others are responsible.
More and more of my pond time is being taken up
sorting out the unnecessary and fatiguing arm waving/faults that unsuspecting flyfisherfolk have actually paid someome to learn. If they weren't so good for business I'd be advocating for those snake oil salesmen to be coated with softex and rolled in marabou.
Having said that, you're on a freebie this time.

Brett_Finger
14-01-2002, 03:09 AM
I have just changed my flyline to a 8wt sinking from a 8wt floating. I am having difficulty getting in a decent cast.
The rod feels sloppy. Is it because of the different lines? Would slowing the cast down improve things. Have tried slowing down and speeding up but it dosen't make much difference.
i am only new to this and couldn't cast to save myself. any tips would be appreciated. If all else fails I might have to give Harro a call when I'm down south soon. He will probably have a nervous breakdown when he sees my "style"
dazza

Dazza,
mate do yourself a huge favor,go see Harro for casting lessons, his teq will blow your mind with the massive changes it will make to your casting,increaseing distance and line speed while decreasing back-casting !!
i have had a few lessons with Harro and while i'm no distance caster i can honestly say the improuvement to my casting is astonishing ;D
and on top of all that i can cast all day without getting fatiqued from a million extra unnessiary back casts :P
Hookin,Brett

dazza
15-01-2002, 06:02 AM
Thanks Harro and Brett.
I live at Bamaga, a bit of tuition on the Jackey Jackey might be fun or we could slip down to the flats around Crystal creek chasing Permit (only caught one so far- on a lure, not fly). Failing that I will be back down to Bribie in about 2 weeks time. Look forward to learning heaps.
Regards
Dazza

Brett_Finger
16-01-2002, 04:26 PM
dazza,
Maaaaaate sounds like you have the perfect training ground for fly fishin! ;D
whan you get to bribie give harro a call he's not far away will be well woth you while to take some new improved skills back to the top
hookin,Brett