PDA

View Full Version : Common problem or is it just me??

Brett_Hoskin
23-01-2002, 06:24 AM
Hi guys ,

I seem to be having a problem keeping the 2 sections of my flyrod firmly locked together for any length of time.

I employ the method of twisting the two pieces together through 90 degrees to provide a "good lock" but after 45 mins or so the joint has become loose.

I do check the rod every 20 or so casts now .
Do I have a fault with the rod or with myself or is this seperation normal and expected considering the action and centrifugal forces being placed on flyrods due to the nature of the cast?

cheers

Brett Hoskin

I have asked several shop assistants in tackle shops and they have been unable to help.

Fitzy
23-01-2002, 07:26 AM
Hi Brett,
Had the same thing happen once t ome, but I put it down to me not putting it together properly.
Sounds like the thing is loose. Do you think that a mild sticky substance like a bit of lanolin would help? I've seen insulation tape used before with success.

Inetersted to hear what brand & how old the rod is.

Cheers,

Fitzy,.

Slates
23-01-2002, 08:35 AM
G'day Brett.
I had an old Hardy 8wt that used to do that (I'd cast the end off a few times).
I used the masking tape method a lot, but it can get wet and lose its stick.
I ended up rubbing a tiny smear of candle wax on the male ferrule and it seemed to do the trick.

Cheers, Slates

Brett_Hoskin
27-01-2002, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys,

The rod is a Loomis GL3 9 wt 2 piece and is only 3 mths old.

I think I will give the wax a go...seems logical.

Thanks for the response.

Stuart
27-01-2002, 08:19 AM
Brett it is a common problem but its not your fault. It commes down to the manufacturer not mating the too joins together properly. It only takes a matter of 0.5mm to have the troubles you are having. Glass to glass or graphite to graphite they all wear at some stage but three months thats a fault and so I would take it back. The more you use this rod the worse it becomes because of the constant movement in the join so eventialy you wont keep the rod together at all if I where you I would take it back now and get a replacment. If you dont get satisfaction there give me a call and i will replace the join for you and i will also offer a hell of a warranty on the ferral as well. Candle wax does help but its only a bandaid.

Stuart Mackenzie
Precision Rods