PDA

View Full Version : Bream on fly

Tony_Ireland
27-01-2002, 09:40 PM
Hi guy's
I have been trying to catch bream on fly for a while now with out a hook up.
Im using a clear sinking line & 9 foot leader with a 4KG tippet.
Im hoping you guy's could give me some info on fly colour & the best way to strip it back.

Kind regards Tony. ::) #

Chris_Dunham
28-01-2002, 10:37 PM
Tony,

The conditions where your fishing for bream will have a big influence on your choice of pattern. ie. water depth, cover, clarity, curent and tidal influence.

Many bream fishers will say clousers or weighted charlies and thats all you need which is missing the point a bit with bream. Clousers are a fine pattern but bream are a shy animal and you will scare as many as you catch in most situations.

Where small clousers do come into there own is in heavy deep snags with a current running through and with bright sunlight. In this case the bream will be deep and you'll need to get your fly down fairly deep quickly.

In slower moving shallow water go for an unweighted fly and a floating line with a longish leader. Bead chain charlies or Gotcha patterns in white, tan or grey in salty clear water and pearl braid bodies. In semi clear upper estuary waters Olive and Gold is good. For winter or really stained water black with a pink or red tag works well.

Put some thought into presenting the fly not on the fish but close enough get their interest. If it's shallow a fly lifting off the sandy bottom is almost irresistable to bream.

A dead drift / falling is just as likely to be hit as a retreived fly with bream. If your fishing into structure let the fly fall straight down while keeping the rod tip in the water and the line straight and expect a hit. If you don't get thumped before the bottom give three short twitchy strips of about 4 to 6 inches each and then a long rest followed by a longish smooth retieve. Bream like to hit on the pause or the very start of a strip so be ready.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Chris.

http://www.########.com.au/########.nsf/docs/MW7/$file/MW7_280.jpg

http://www.########.com.au/########.nsf/docs/MW10/$file/MW10_280.jpg

http://www.########.com.au/########.nsf/docs/ZDT70/$file/ZDT70_280.jpg

Tony_Ireland
29-01-2002, 09:37 PM
Thank's Chris, I will give it a try.
The snags im fishing are behind the Ascot race track, I will let you no how I go.

Randall
30-01-2002, 05:04 AM
Chris, your the MAN !!!

Excellent advice and all very relevant. Chased a few Bream on fly have you? ;-)

Regards, Randall.

Chris_Dunham
30-01-2002, 09:53 AM
Randall,

I guess it would be fair to say I'm a wee bit nuts about bream on fly.

There is so much accesable bream fishing in Aus and all close or in Metro areas. They are sneaky craft little beggers which makes for worth prey. And sizable ones (over 1.5 kg and over) can pull like crazy.

Regards,

Chris #;D

Scott_Mitchell
02-02-2002, 04:25 AM
:) Tony: I have done quite a bit of bream fly fishing and use mainly a floating line with 10ft saltwater airflo poly leader - attatching another 4 ft of 8lb clear mono tippet (I use RIO mostly).

In flies I like small clouser style patterns in orange,chartruse and pink colours - matching my favourite lure colours mostly.You should get a copy of Steve and Bushy's bream book - which has a section on flyfishing, but stax of other good information which you'll apply.

Great fun and readily available the old bream.

Regards Scotto