PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new rod

Luke
28-02-2002, 09:04 AM
Looking to buy a half decent fly rod and after info on something pretty good around 9 weight and $200-possibly $400. Bit of a follow up on Brett's post- Innovator was mentioned-any more info good or bad on these rods. Also what is better to look for eg 2 piece,3 piece and I'd imagine I'd need something with a fast taper. Is this right? Any probs to look for with second handies.
Cheers Luke

Scott_Mitchell
01-03-2002, 08:06 AM
:) We have seen the quality of fly rods improve each season for less money - and you can expect to buy quite a good rod with in your current budget.

The Innovator Matrix rods are excellent value at around $370.00 for a three piece , with a five year unconditional warrenty. The new Loop Black line rods are also worth a look - with a 9'3"ft 8/9 wht 3 pc coming in at around $495.00 with an unconditional lifetime warrenty as well.

Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Regards Scotto

Fitzy
03-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Hi Luke,
You can check out the Strudwick line of Flyrods at http://www.ausfish.com.au/strudwick/
http://www.ausfish.com.au/strudwick/images/tps_salt_med.gif

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Luke
04-03-2002, 04:55 AM
Thanks guys,
ended up getting an Innovator Distance 9# 2 piece combo. If it lasts me 5 years that should be ok.
Cheers Luke

Jack_Lives_Here
06-03-2002, 08:07 AM
Hey Luke,
Be keen to get some feedback when you've had a chance to give it a work out. Looking at one of those myself.

Jack

Luke
06-03-2002, 08:23 AM
Gday Jack,
Well I had a chat to some of the other fly guys and got pointed in this direction-the reason being I wanted a reasonable quality rod at a reasonable price. I didn't get a Loomis or a Struddy-can't afford one so I doubt the same quality is there- but I can just about get a whole fly line out now bar 10-15 ft after about 45mins practice and I couldn't even get half a line out on my old Gillies Carina. Shouldn't be long and I'll have some of the backing out so thats good . I'll be happy to play with it for a while and if I get real serious only then I'll spend the serious money. Happy with the feel of it so far. ;D
Cheers Luke

Fitzy
06-03-2002, 09:31 AM
Hi Luke,
Was that in the park/yard or on the water with a fly on the end?
Maybe the Gillies and the line you had on it were mismatched. ???

Cheers,

Fitz

Luke
06-03-2002, 11:55 AM
Yeh Fitz,
not knowing enough about it but the problem with the Gillies was I could get a lot more line out without a fly. Trying to stop it on the forward cast and I reckon the rod just kept going from the butt end. Felt real sloppy and too much load with a fly on. No fly or a bread fly no problem. Mismatch could be right. I don't know? ??? Gillies was about 7# 2 piece-line intermediate-don't know what brand but dare say it was cheap as it was a combo pack.
Cheers Luke