PDA

View Full Version : Fly Hooks

Old_Fart
23-01-2002, 05:10 AM
Guys,
I am pretty new at Flyfishing and Fly tying.
What I want to do is tie my own flies for Bass and Saratoga.
When I look at USA magazines etc they appear to be using a very large hook.
I just watched Mick Halls video for tying freshwater flies, but that is aimed at trout etc.(small hooks).
What size hooks should I be using for my target fish?
I am fishing the impoundments of SE Qld.
Cu.
Bruce.

Scott_Mitchell
24-01-2002, 02:44 AM
Fly hook size will come down to the patterns your tying and the species your targeting ??? For most bass and native patterns in QLD impoundments you'll only need size 4 , 1 and 1/0 sizes. The style of hook you use will also determine what size to use - as not all brands size their hooks the same.

Let us know what patterns your looking at tying and species your tageting and we can be more spceific.

Regards Scotto

The Alpine Angler

Fitzy
24-01-2002, 09:41 AM
Hi Bruce,
I don't tie flies, just like I don't build my own cars or make my own clothes. I use em tho.
Some good tips from Scotto above.
I've got some Gamakatsu B10S #6 hooks here that George sent up. Recon they should be fine for small dahlbergs, my fav pattern for toga. Welcome to some next time you're over this way.

Cheers,

Fitz..

Rosso
22-03-2002, 04:13 PM
<SNIP>

For most bass and native patterns in QLD impoundments you'll only need size 4 , 1 and 1/0 sizes

<SNIP>

Mate I thought they would be huge! I would think something around 6 or 8 would be big enough...

Tight wind knots

Rosso

lordy
23-03-2002, 08:03 AM
<SNIP>

For most bass and native patterns in QLD impoundments you'll only need size 4 , 1 and 1/0 sizes

<SNIP>

Mate I thought they would be huge! #I would think something around 6 or 8 would be big enough...Rosso

size 6-8, bah those are just trout hooks ;) They work, but bigger sizes are better depending on the fly type. Look at the size of bait that bass/toga toga take. I'd say size 4 and bigger would be just about right for most patterns.

For things like Dalhbergs you need a pretty decent gap, try some some stringer type hooks, but they seem to have different standard sizes. Much bigger than for the marked size IIRC.