PDA

View Full Version : Barra Fly

Jack_Lives_Here
16-02-2002, 02:01 PM
Fishing drains etc. what fly / technic etc?????
I am serious about nailing a few this year on the wand.

Jack

Brett_Finger
17-02-2002, 02:39 AM
Jackman,
Mate depends on water clouration, also personal choice as i'm sure some fellas/gals have there prefered flys for barra,

i have had sucess with White Lefty's Decivers, Black n Barred,pink things and a lot of Shaun Ash's flys thay he tyes for Barra fishin. includeing all the above ;D

the white lefty's and black n barred have seen good service in the clean water and the pink bitch and secert shaun's flys ;D have bone the damage in the dirty water.

as a rule use these main ones and you should have sucess.
Hookin,Brett

Steve_Ooi
17-02-2002, 05:59 AM
fat albert, black n barred, pink things , just make sure they are all big and bulky so they push alot of water and give good silhouettes .....
Gold bomber flys, spinsters, bigger type clousers also work well....
use a slow twitch type of retrieve and try to keep the fly in the strike zone for as long as possible.

Cheers Poony

Scott_Mitchell
18-02-2002, 04:25 AM
:) Jack: For fishing drains on Barra I use Geoff Skinners Gold bomber pattern in 4/0 and 6/0 with the point up, along with pink things and black things. These would be my favourite barra flies just about anywhere.

Regards Scotto

Travis
18-02-2002, 07:23 AM
Black Whistler did it for me in dirty water .....

Cant beat the action and performance of the old Pink thing....

Muzzy
19-02-2002, 09:46 PM
the boys all gave top info but its all mid to deep water stuff...

some times we need to be up top, if so dailberg divers (they kill the toga too) and gurglers are top surface water flies. Colour usually aint a factor but I like em darker, but I do have yellow ones.

gurgelrs get my vote cause they fish as well but float longer as its foam...

But the pinkthing gets cast most by me, and a spinster one at that. Starting to cast bomber flies built like alberts.

Jack_Lives_Here
26-02-2002, 12:55 PM
Thanks fellas. I tied up some big gold flashy jobs last week and they seemed to get the tarpon excited. Also tied up a few pink thing variations with orange and red fox fur out the front.

They look pretty good in the water and look to push plenty of water.

Come on Septemeber!!!!

All the best
Jack

Maxg
19-04-2002, 09:47 PM
Well you could try Lee Haskins Gurgler, now that might be a classic, along with George Glazeners Spinsters.
I tie a Spinster Deceiver, its a white Deceiver tied over a lead wire body on a EC413 jig hook, and it has a swivel mounted flasher blade, like a Spinster. That might work, all these things are pretty active flies. Max

ps have a look at www.anglingateway.com. they are on there, spinsters etc.

Jack_Lives_Here
20-04-2002, 10:13 AM
Thanks for that Max - they look the goods. ;)

Tied some big gold bomber type flies, pink thing variations etc. Might give them a trial on some NewEngland cod before my trip north. ;D ;D

Maxg
23-04-2002, 01:35 AM
Remember that in brown water, barra are probably seeing things in grey scale. One sure way of finding out is to catch one and take a flash poloroid of the thing. If it has that white blobby eye, it' not seeing colour. Has a reflective eye and the flash gets reflected back into the camera and over exposes the film. If you do that, eat the fish, or something else will.
Cheers Max

Maxg
24-04-2002, 09:21 AM
Just for the record Lee Haskin is sending me a gurgler kit but I can send you some pics of them if you like. Not sure if this will work, but here goes.