PDA

View Full Version : Tube flies

Muzzy
29-12-2001, 09:40 PM
Any of you fly huckers doing any good with tube flies...

not the big ones for bill fish, more so say replaceing hooks for tubes in pink things and stuff...

I have some but am yet to get results mainly to me just hucking a hook instead most the time

just intrested to see what others have done that way I can learn a tad more...

Muz

P.S not intrested in where to buy a tube fly more on results with inshore/river type species trout included.

Muzzy
31-12-2001, 05:24 PM
I take it thats a no or your not telling me then... :'(

Never fear will sus it out me self then hehehehehe :D

But still feel free to give a tip or ten...

Muz

Wesley_Pang
31-12-2001, 06:41 PM
Muzzy,

I've only tied and used Sailfish tube flies. Tube flies make sense fro billfish because you have replace the tandom hooks rigs between fish. The 110lb Jinkia between the hooks get a bit worn after each fish. Jinkia is great between the hooks, it is flexible and often loops around the bill and the fish just don't fall off. After each fish just cut off the tandom hooks and crimp on an other pre-tied seton to the tube fly.

I mainly use the old clouser and surf candy for 90% of my saltwater fishing. I guess it is just as easy to tie on a fly. It would be a hassle to set up a tube fly. I can tie a clouser in couple of minutes on the vice. A Billfish fly takes a lot more time and effort to tie.

I believe lead eyes are important to saltwater flies to get them down deep and to impart action. I'm not sure how you would get a tube fly with lead eyes.

Give the tube flies a go, but I'll stick to my good old clousers, I've got enough to last me a couple of years.

Wes

Muzzy
31-12-2001, 06:51 PM
The main reason behind me thinking of doing this was to be able to replace the hooks like you do, also to add the all important stinger when barra tend to short strike ya (especially on poppers). You know how some times ya get that freak fly that just seems to slay them, but the hook stuffs up and its only good for an ear ring.

For the eye thing I was thinking of a lead wire wrapped ball to the nose and then just stick on eyes, this should give the head bob and the target area I think eyes give the fly (on paper any way).

Yeah I'm a clowser fan...and the spinster in the fresh...

Thanks mate now heres hoping another clue gets droped ;D

Muz

lordy
07-01-2002, 11:53 AM
I'll let you know how I go muzzy. I ordered a tube fly attachment and some tube fly materials for a christmas present to myself.

rivermanau
19-01-2002, 07:52 AM
I have had some success with small chartreuse tubing, with a simple hair body and some drawn on eyes (with texta)
The advantage is that hooks are easily replaced, and an overall neutral bouyancy is good for slow, suspended retrieves.
I usually use a wire insert up the tube for strength and to attach hooks. These are also good for short striking fish as the hook sits in the rear of the tail.
Robert

Muzzy
26-01-2002, 05:44 PM
R U talking bass here mate?

fresh or salt

just curious as to the nitty gritty mate...

Maxg
23-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Hey Muzz. Have you seen a Cam Sigler tube fly for billies. It is tied on a small tube, Bic pen size and has a larger poly tube stuck on the back end. The fly is tied on the front thin tube and the hook eye is stuck in the large tube at the back. You can use this system to tie all sorts of flies, and in different sizes and you can fish them as singles or tandems.
Very simple system but you need to put a stopper on the leader in front of the fly to stop it flying up the leader to the tippet end. Have a look at one if you can, simple system, very effective. Max

Master_Jig_Builder
17-04-2002, 12:10 PM
(The 110lb Jinkia between the hooks get a bit worn after each fish).

Wes, a couple of ideas to help with the issues you mentioned.
Try tying in something like knotable tyger leader instead of mono between the main hook and your rear stinger, it will save you a lot of time and effort.

(I'm not sure how you would get a tube fly with lead eyes).

If you want to tie on lead eyes to a tube fly, place a similar diameter wire down the centre of the tube first, tie on the lead eyes and then coat with a light film of epoxy in front of, and behind, the eyes once they are tied on. Use this glued area as the base to ty on the rest of your fly and the tube can't collapse.

Maxg
17-04-2002, 11:25 PM
Hey Steve, if you use the Cam Sigler idea with a tube, thin, with a larger tube over the end, you could tie a lead eye on the tube in front of the fly.

Maxg
26-04-2002, 11:05 AM
The Sigler tube really looks like this, and the trick is to tie a hunk of mirror flash, on the thin tube in front of the thick tube and then slide a hink of quater inch silver flexo over the mirroe flash. Tie to down at the front, and if you want, add eyes to the head. You could simply tie lead eyes on top of the mirror flash tie, and slide the Flexo over the lot and open the flexo to pull the eyes through. Give the front of the tube a bit of colour and lo, a long thin garfish, wiyh lead eys and a few "Clousered" sticks.
Lotta flash, tail swims a bit. The hook is inserted into the rear tube after you connect the shock leader.
On big tubes, billy flies tied on these things, can supply pics, its better to tie the rear end, or second fly on a hook rather than a tube. But it's all in the book. Vbg. Soon on the web as Ebook. Vbbg. Max