PDA

View Full Version : Trout near Brisbane?

ggalvis
28-04-2002, 01:37 AM
hello everyboby from Bogota Colombia

I will be at Brisbane since next july and want to know if there is trout fishing in the area.

Another question:
Wich 3 flyrods would you chosse for all around fishing if based at Brisbane?

tks
ggalvis

Simon
28-04-2002, 03:16 AM
I think the nearest trout to Brisbane is atleast a five or six hour drive south.
lots of other freshwater fishing in the immediate area upto 2 hour drive away. The smallest rod I would recommend depending on the fishing would be a six and you will easily be able to use floating through to fast sink lines all have there uses depending on the day and location in the brisbane area.

Cheers

Simon

Wesley_Pang
28-04-2002, 02:40 PM
Brisbane is sub-tropical city and the nearest trout waters are 6 hours(by car) south in the New England District of New South Wales(NSW). The trout are in very marginal waters and have to be heavily stocked every years and are not too big. The stocking of native species such as Murray Cod have added to the pressure on the introduced species.

Australia's best trout waters are the Snowy Mountains NSW and Tasmania(3 hours by commercial jet).

The best flyfishing around Brisbane is the stocked dam/impoundments, the estuary and the inshore bays. The dams are stocked with Australian Bass and are about an hour to two from Brisbane. The estuaries contain "bread-and-butter" species such as bream, flathead and tailor(bluefish). The inshore bays hold Tuna, trevally, and mackeral.

I suggest 6-7# for dams/light estuary. 8-9# for estuary/light inshore, and 10-11# for chasing plagics in the Bay. I'm a saltwater flyfisherman, though I have done a bit of freshwater.

How's the fishing in Columbia??

Wes

Fitzy
01-05-2002, 06:10 PM
There are trout within about 1.5 hours of Brisbane, yes there are trout in Qld! :o
However the waterway in question is totally locked up by private property unless you are a relative or a close friend etc. They aren't real fond of folks jumping fences in that area either just quietly. There is one spot that you might still get the odd one hanging around. :-/
Realistically tho, the several hours drive south is the best bet to tangle with trout.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Rosso
02-05-2002, 11:38 AM
The further you go south the better chances of getting trout will be. However, as stated, alot of them are on private properties.

As for the rod, over the Anzac weekend i was fishing at Ebor (about 8 hours drive by car) I have a 5wt 9ft Fendwick rod. My suggestion would be to get something about 7ft, because of the trees that line the edges of the banks.

If I did it again i would have a 4wt 2 piece (or more) that is 7ft long. You can use longer, its just that i found the trees, banks, weeds, etc get in the way.

I have a photo of the stream. Email me direct if you would like to me to send you a copy.

Good luck.

Rosso.

imported_admin
05-05-2002, 06:48 AM
Have a look at Uncle Billy's Retreat if you are interested in fishing stocked dams for trout.

Just got back from there last night, brilliant place to fish and stay

About 5 Hours drive south of Brisbane.

http://www.unclebillys.com.au