PDA

View Full Version : Max did you ever buy the ###### Trillium LA reel?

stevemarkoya
14-06-2002, 03:27 AM
Max,

I was wondering if you ended up buying the Trillium Large Arbor reel that you mention a few months back in an email to me (remember the emails regarding the difference of opionion on Hayden reels that we had). I was wondering if you had the same problems with yours as I did (i.e. wek drag, sloppy machining, severe spool wobble). I was told that I just got a bad one, and wanted to find out if anyone one else had the same problems.

uncle_barry
14-06-2002, 03:10 PM
Good evening Steve
Your were told, you bought cheap and you got cheap.!
You bought your reel from a web discount store where the production test models were unloaded,so don't blame anyone but yourself.

The Reels we have here in Australia and now in your United States are beautifully made, again, I beleive you were told that also, about a year ago or more.
So please don't cry about being caught, as I recall it, you have sold the reel, in question.

May I suggest you take a look at the "final" Trillium Reels, you maybe pleasantly supprise.

Kind regards
Barry Ryan
Talon ###### Australia

Toddy
14-06-2002, 03:37 PM
I cant understand why would Talon ###### would sell a sub-standard product and risk tarnishing their reputation.Particularly when they are trying to break into the Australian market.
Doesnt seem like a very smart move to me.
Cheers,
Toddy

uncle_barry
14-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Good evening Toddy
###### did not attempt to sell/unload the test reels here.

They were sent to a discount clearence web site in the United States, where all sorts of things are sold for way under retail price.

Kind regards
Barry Ryan

Toddy
14-06-2002, 04:56 PM
Hello Barry,can you please give me that web address?
I would be interested in having a look at some of the gear.
Toddy

uncle_barry
14-06-2002, 05:22 PM
Good evening Toddy.
I will try and find the address, it was about a year ago or more when Steve bought the reel.

They sold, (the site), clothing shoes boots, all types of things.

Kind regards
Barry

Steve_Ooi
14-06-2002, 05:28 PM
Steve markoya, i had a look at a Trillium Large Arbor reel and it didn't impress me at all, the worst point was that they had left all the burrs still on the reel from drilling out the holes, something you would not want your expensive new braid backing to be rubbing up agianst. other than that i thought they seem quiet tinny (thin in the metal department), Not sure on the price , but i thought the money was better spent on a fenwick F series, especially after been told by one of the top reel engineers ,that he considered the fenwicks to be one of the best value fly reels around. Have seen some pics of some nice 40 lb tuna taken on these, pretty good for a reel that these days you can pick up new for about $250.
I ended up with a F8/9 a little heavy , but then agian it does hold 500 yd of 50 lb bionic braid.

Poony

uncle_barry
14-06-2002, 05:57 PM
Good evening to you also Steve.
Now I will bet if you saw a Trillium Reel here in Australia, in FNQ, it was only a size representation, NOT a fishing model, which have only been available a short time.

Where did you see this shocking reel, so it can be recalled and investigated?

Thin in the metal department? What structural strength would you require, in spool,drag,backing plate,reel seat as we would be happy to take these onboard.
Could you please forward you load calculations directly to me, I assume you know what the alloys are and the address below would be suitable

Are you qualified to offer advice on structural loads, etc.? Do you have any association with other manufacturers/importers?

Kindest of regards
Barry Ryan
TalonAurora Australia

aussiebasser
14-06-2002, 06:29 PM
Good evening to you also Steve.
Now I will bet if you saw a Trillium Reel here in Australia, in FNQ, it was only a size representation, NOT a fishing model, which have only been available a short time.

Where did you see this shocking reel, so it can be recalled and investigated?

Thin in the metal department? What structural strength would you require, in spool,drag,backing plate,reel seat as we would be happy to take these onboard.
Could you please forward you load calculations directly to me, I assume you know what the alloys are and #the address below would be suitable

Are you qualified to offer advice on structural loads, etc.? #Do you have any association with other manufacturers/importers?

Kindest of regards
Barry Ryan
TalonAurora Australia #

G'day Barry,
Geez for a bloke trying to promote his product you seem to be a bit hard on your prospective customers. What are your credentials in metalurgy?? I did see some gear you were selling, and one gold reel you had seemed to be an exact replica of a Pflueger, except more expensive. I don't think I could trust any manufacturer who ditched their R & D product onto the market under any circumstances. Seems they're more interested in making any bucks they can, than selling only a quality product. I'd suggest you vent some of your spleen onto the manufacturer, and let them know the negative image they have promoted here in Australia.

lordy
14-06-2002, 07:44 PM
Actually thats a good point. Why would anyone want to knowingly sell faulty reels? Pretty dumb business practice. Why not just give them away.

Perhaps Barry could send Steve Ooi a real reel for evaluation. Let him have a look at it and tell us if there has been any improvement.

Aussie, I believe the web site was http://www.overstock.com/ and they did not mention any of the faults or problems. The reels appear to be gone from the site.

stevemarkoya
14-06-2002, 07:49 PM
Barry,

I remember your email (especially the first one giving me the third degree as to where I bought the reel from since they were not available in Australia yet, and a large shipment had been stolen).

If you read my post clearly you will notice that I was trying to get first hand impressions of the reels since as I said "I was told that I got a bad batch". Truth be told that I was actually considering checking out the reels again if others had not had the same experience that I did ( I know of two other anglers who had the same experience with the reels and they did not buy them from www.overstock.com). With your brash response I don't think that I would ever consider buying another ###### product. Thanks for helping narrow down my next Large Arbor reel purchase.

P.S. If you want to continue this discusssion, we can do so off line. my email address is: stevemarkoya@msn.com (this bulletin board is too valuable to clutter up with arguments)

Maxg
14-06-2002, 09:34 PM
Well since the original question was directed at myself, like I'll answer it. No I did not, yet, and the reel is associated with a long rod, which I have on order, don't I Barry.
Whether it is good bad or indifferent is not in my brief, yet.
I would however like to have a look at one, particularly the 5 inch model, but the 4.6 inch one will do.
Today I had one of those old Feurer reels in my hand and it was magic. Left or right hand, fabulous drag and it could be ised in "dual mode" quite easily. It cost $34 in 1970 and you can't buy reels like it today. Kind of sent funny shivers through me, especially since my old S glass Fenwick 9310 was there as well. Very nostalgic that lot. MAx

Steve_Ooi
15-06-2002, 04:27 AM
Barry the reel I saw was one from your company Talon,. If it was just a size representation and not a actually one that you’d use for fishing , who would know ? As there was no indication of it being so. Well I hope they fixed that problem with the burrs and that the ones that you do use for fishing are better.I believe the reel is back with you as it was the Talon demo model that you show shops.
Remember what the old EJ holden panels use to sound like when you thumped them , as compared to late model commodore, well that was my thoughts after handling the reel, it sounded tinny, thin in metal department..
I was only stating my opinion of it, and no doubt your opinion is different.
Structural strength, I never said it was structurally weak, I just stated it seemed tinny. Likewise I don’t think the Commodore are structurally weak otherwise I would not drive one, but they are tinny, any way that beside the point.

I don’t know much about designing a reel, cause I never done it before. So excuse my ignorance on the subject.
I’d probably start by using 6061 T6 grade alloy instead of the 6061 T1 which is used in the Trillium.
The 6061 T6 having been solution heat treated and artificially aged provides good corrosion resistance, takes hard anodising well ,and has a higher tensile strength ,yield strength and shear strength than 6061 T1 alloy I believe.
A lot of the top reels manufactures are using 6061 T6 alloy such as Abel and Accurate.
Probably just stick to plain black anodising, as a lot of people seem to get better life from it, Hard anodising with at least a thickness of 25 um as recommend for outdoor use.
With the spool I wouldn’t worry about the large arbor, I’d rather go small arbor and have the extra backing , If you don’t or can’t afford to fill the whole thing with braid then just lay down enough dacron to fill it out to a larger arbor size. Plenty of people reckon 300 yds is enough , but I like 500 yd having already watched 300yd go out the runners while standing on the shore while a 50 lb plus GT heads towards the islands.
Drag , after seeing some test results from Jack Erskine I would have to say I’d go with a carbon fibre drag ,running dry, the tests showed that the dry carbon fibre drag had less variation in drag value as compare to a cork drag running on the same system .
The carbon fibre drag would preferably run on a Titanium drag plate that was screw to the reel body thus giving a large direct area to dissipate heat, ( heat transfer paste might be used between the drag plate and reel body to help transfer). This section of the reel body would have no holes (more holes less surface area, less surface area means less of an ability to transfer heat into the air, primary function of the drag is to turn one form of energy into another ) instead it might be slightly finned like a heat sink increasing surface area. Because hole aren’t drilled out of the frame, the frame could probably be made thinner help reduce weight and the finned ribbing would provide structural strength.
Give the buyer the choice of two reel foot designs, standard one and the longer foot that changes the balance, much like the Abels..
Mmm and maybe even a soft touch handle, designed more to fit the thumb/finger better, something a bit more comfortable than the hard wood as used on a lot of reels.
The spool maybe I go with one with no holes, less machine time, less hand finishing work needed , keep the cost lower, design it for fishing ,not for fads, fashion or looks.

I have no association with any manufacturers or importers.

Cheers Poony

lordy
15-06-2002, 07:22 AM
Poony, I want one! ;D

sydfly
15-06-2002, 01:45 PM
I never want to argue with you poony :o ;D I think you may have a point!!!!

Brett_Finger
15-06-2002, 03:35 PM
Righto then fellas,
mabey we can wrap this string up eh?
a good posting without any slanging.
Hookin,Brett :)

Maxg
15-06-2002, 06:48 PM
I have a bit of an interest in this and a bit of an interest in reels. But if you have a geek at a 4 inch Okuma, you are pretty well looking at, from pics anyway, a ###### Trillium.And that Okuma is not bad stuff. AT least I'd put GsP on one.
On the small arbor, fine, if the reel is 4 inches and under, get it 4.5 inches and over and the weight of the dacron, and the amount on the spool is devestating. I have a 4 inch reel plugged with 150 yards of 20/30 whatever Dacron and it still holds 500 of 36BB with 120 feet of stuffed running line and a full SA head.
I do think LA has a place and the Trillium I'm looking at is the 5 or 6, that is 4.5 inch or 5 inch.
On drags that Pen stuff is patented and one has to use other gear, but cork on rulon takes some beating, particularly with big drag washers.
Actually there are a zillion drag materials around that do a good job, but you need to have a large washer on a large LA spool to keep inertia to minimums with high modulus graphite rods, with GsP braids and low stretch systems. Mind you with large diameter small arbor reels until it gets about half full its some kind of LA type reel.
###### has a reel, small arbor 2 inches wide and 5 inches in diameter, now that should suit the crazys, I think they are planning on using it to hold the space tether for the moon. I hear they are going to tether it to the earth with 30GsP BB braid.. VBG.
I agree with Brett, enough is about enough. When Barry sends me the Trillium I will tell you what I think.
Cheers Max