PDA

View Full Version : Tailor from the shoreline

Jedster
16-06-2002, 05:05 PM
Anyone able to give me an idea of a good shore based spot in SE Queensland where there's a reasonable chance of hooking into a few Tailor on fly? What is the best time of the day to try (I usually try early morning)?
Thanks in advance
J

george
17-06-2002, 09:11 AM
I reckon you should try the headland around from Kings Beach toward Marchoodye, it has a good platform with access to the white water, it has the Centar (?) Memorial on the cliff behind, there used to be a boat ramp in the bay, a bit of burley in the white water area and I reckon it would be good, love to see you in the Kayak there, keep a spot for me in early Aug, sunrise/sunset, stripping basket and it could be a goer

cheers

george

Jedster
17-06-2002, 09:38 AM
George,
Early August, you're on. Keep in touch and I'll have a crack at it with you. Look forward to it.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try and check it out before you come up.
J

Maxg
27-06-2002, 10:34 PM
You might investigate the possibility of using a 10 footer, or even an 11 foot rod for that exercise, longer cast than 9 footers.
Cheerrs have fun Max

Jedster
28-06-2002, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the tip Max but I have one rod only (9ft 7/8 wt). I'll give it a whirl anyway.
J

Jack_Lives_Here
28-06-2002, 07:08 AM
Theres been some nice fish caught off the rocks at Scarborough. Late afternoon lowtides the go. Nice easy fishing and no swells to dodge.

Jedster
28-06-2002, 08:08 AM
A definite goto spot Scarborough, I haven't heard of many fish around though. You know otherwise I take it? Thanks I will be sure to check that one out.
Regards
J

Maxg
28-06-2002, 09:41 AM
I take it you are here. Try Two Rocks, might be a difficult cast, bring your wet suit but there is a hole on the south side on the north rock. And you could try the Yanchep lagoon reef.
But things would be better along this coast with a longer rod. I'm after a 15 footer 10/11 weight, throwing a 600gn powdered tungsten AirFlo head.
Soon be here I think.
I'm also looking at the possibility of long casts at the narrows, and other places, like the jetty at carnarvon and around Cuvier, off camp rock and the 13 mile for starters, then all the way to the north point. Be a blast off high rock at Quobba, and it might be worth a chuck at the Caves and Red Bluff. There are some monster tailor around those spots. I want to get there before Xmas. Cheers Max

Maxg
28-06-2002, 09:43 AM
My error, probaby let a bundle of cats out of bags. Max

Jedster
28-06-2002, 04:19 PM
I think so Max, I'm in Brisbane and haven't heard of most of those places. Thanks anyway.
J

shaun_ash
08-07-2002, 11:16 AM
mate I have been getting some small tailor off the sea way late at night on the incoming tide. I am still to crack it for a big one but I think this spot holds some large fish I have been busted up on more than one outting. The other strange thing is thay have been deep. red beach can also be a good spot .

Jedster
09-07-2002, 02:53 PM
Thanks Shaun, I've had my eye of Red Beach also. Early morning? I wasn't sure if they came in that close?
Regards
J