PDA

View Full Version : ?Mid-North NSW Estuary Fly?

Finnie
13-07-2002, 04:19 PM
Hi All,

I've been thinking over the last few days about pulling the flyrod out of the cupboard and having a go at SWF fishing. To date I've only tried the trout (with some success) and would appreciate some tips.

I've got a 6-7 wt rod and would like to try chasing some flathead etc. on sandflats (to help with my retarded backcasts - I catch more trees than anything else!). I don't have a boat and so this seems like the best starting place. Any tips for sandflats, or is there another place for the beginner to have a go?

What sort of flyline would be the best investment? I'm pretty sure I'm currently using a floating double taper. Would I be better off with a sink-tip or something similar?

Also, does anyone have a favourite fly for flatties on the sandflats? I have my own tying kit and so can reproduce anything if you'd like to part with a recipe.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Finnie

Wesley_Pang
13-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Finnie,

Flathead is a good way to get into saltwater flyfishing. You don't need a boat or fancy equipment to target them.

Flathead are ambush feeders. Have a look at low tide for "lies"(the impression left by lizards) on your favourite sandflat. Dropoff where baitfish is flushed off the flats are good spots.

I prefer to fish for flathead on the last half of the run out tide, though some spots fish well on the incoming. Cover all the area methodically, start by covering the area close to you before blasting out you casts. You'll be surprised how many flathead you will spook just at the waters edge.

A floating line will get you started, and is all you will need for shallow water. I prefer a clear intermediate flyline.

My favourite fly for flathead(and just about anything with fins) is the Clouser Deep Minnow(aka the clouser). For a 6/7 I suggest a size 2 with bead or light lead eyes. Bucktail or kinyfibre is all you need. Careful clouser are deadly on flyrods.

I'm a bit of wimp and only target them in spring and summer.

Persist and flog the water to a foam.

Wes

thunnus
13-07-2002, 05:36 PM
G'day Finnie,

you would be able to fish with the double taper but you are better off getting some sort of weight forward line. I mainly use intermediates for flatties, but floaters are good up to water about a meter or so deep.

Flies - nothing can bet the clouser minnow for flatties i reacon. my favourite colours are chartruse over white, chartruse over yellow and pink over white.

Hope that helps you out a little bit mate.

Cheers and good luck, Justin