PDA

View Full Version : saltwater fly leaders

dudley
24-07-2002, 07:21 PM
I am just about to start saltwater fly fishing, here in Vic. mainly for salmon and trevally. I have a 9/10 wt outfit, and am wondering if any of you experienced people can give me a formula that works for making up 7 & 9 ft leaders. I am an experienced fresh water fly fisho and make my own, but this is a different game.
Thanks,
Peter

Wesley_Pang
25-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Dudley,

Up here in SE Qld, I use a pretty simple leader. 1 meter of 40lb Jinka for the butt section and 1 meter of 20lb Siglon flurocarbon. I don't know if the flurocarbon makes a difference, but I'm happy with it. I use to use 16lb Mason Hard Mono. I've been meaning to try the Penn 10X but haven't got around to it.

Lot of guys just use a straight leader of a 2-3 feet, none of the fancy trout stuff with 6 sections 12 foot long.

You can probably get away with using lighter leader down in Vic. Up here I fish heavy because we don't know what going to take the fly next.

Wes

dudley
25-07-2002, 02:43 PM
Wes,
thanks for the info. You are right, i would only use a 25/30 lb butt section with a 15lb tip, although down here, guys have caught 1.3 mt gummys and bluefin tuna on fly.
Good fishing to you.

Stuie_02
03-08-2002, 03:46 PM
Hi Dudley
Just like wesley said make it really simple. It will depend abit on style of line and presentation.
But in saying that dont get tooo fussy 3ft 40lb 3ft 20lb and optional 3 foot 10lb.
Not much rocket science in that one. i use it on a shoot head, works fairly well for me.

Dont go for the nail knot use braidied loops like 50lb stuff. and go from there. Hey even going 4ft of 20lb line can work.

Stuie http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm44.gif