PDA

View Full Version : Tasmania

landy1
15-08-2002, 07:41 PM
G'day all
lock up your women i am coming to Tassie ;D
have just been told i am overdue for a visit so my folks are putting me up for a week and giving me the grand tour, having never been there before. i have put my foot down and said i will be trying out ny new fly gear. now for the interesting part. the gear is for saltwater use up here in moreton bay. basically i will be using an 8 weight rod with a 9 weight intermediate line on board. for its locality to Launceston (base of stay) i thought of Curries River dam from the banks ( southeast ). any other suggestions in the general vicinity of Launceston? also obviously i will be using wet flies i have read that red and black Matukas are the deal for Curries. any tips on fishing this fly. any info appreciated as i am new to fly gear and this Tassy trip is out of the blue and i have no idea what i am going to do fish wise while down there.
cheers

Chris_Dunham
16-08-2002, 08:56 AM
Michael,

Red & Black Matukas do work well there, fish it deep and slow - try a figure 8 retrieve speed to start with.

Yeti's in Black & Green and Black & Red are also well worth having on board. Bruce Gibson from Tas ties these as well as an excellent range of small matukas.

Cheers,

Chris.

thunnus
16-08-2002, 11:36 AM
G'day Landy,

For trout you could also try Four Springs which is a small shallow lake about 40mins north of Launy. Head up the West Tamer Highway and turn left at the Devonport exit as you go thought Exeter. Been there a few times but due to my inexperience and crap casting ended up just spoking a few fish.

In the salt you can fish the Tamer river itself. Try for mullet around any of the public pontoons, with the one at Deviot (about 30mins about off Launy) being a good place to start. Just use bream as burley and fish some small bread flies.

Also ask the dudes in charltons and the other sports stores in town as they will know whats going on.

For River fishing you can fish the Mersey which is about an hour away, or Brumby Creek about 50mins away, or go for broke and take a 2 and a bit hour trip up to the highland lakes.

Opening Weekend was a few weeks ago and a few good fish got pulled out of the shallows up there.

I hope that helps mate and make sure you give us a report when you get back.

good luck, Justin

Fitzy
16-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Good luck down there Landy. C ya when you get back.

BTW, how did you go with your exam?

Cheers,

Fitzy..

landy1
16-08-2002, 07:11 PM
g'day Fitzy
passed the physical competency test. on the same day as the great meet and greet at the pin. now just waiting for my letter ;D
ill let you know how i go in tassie, it might be interesting to see what they call a lake after seeing Wivenhoe. hope i get a nice piccy of a fly caught trout for the board.
cheers

Steve_Ooi
17-08-2002, 05:39 PM
Landy1
There's some 3000 lakes in tasland, really i don't know how they figured that, being born there even i couldn't figure it out with my two heads. Some of the lakes are not the biggest things around but they are some of the most tranquil and beautiful lakes you will see, cruise browns swim in the shallows that are backdropped with mountain peaks, the Great Lakes and Lake Pedder are quite big .
I miss the wild river fish and the countryside that surrounds it. But i suppose being in Cairns now i easily supplement that with big barra... ;D
It is nice now standing on warm tropical flats in short, instead waders in near zero temp waters.

Just have a good look at the postcard veiws while your down there....

Poony