PDA

View Full Version : Lead core line

Maxg
10-08-2002, 10:31 PM
Cortland uses two sizes of lead insert, one size for their 14# test, and a larger diameter for 18# -- 60#. This means that except for 14#, the weight of the lead remains the same for all line strengths. The weight of the line (core and case) is measured in grains (gr) per 10 foot section: 14# - 46 gr, 18# - 110 gr, 27# - 114 gr, 36# - 118 gr, 45# - 124 gr, 60# - 131 gr. The minor differences in total weight are attributable solely to the weight of the casing (stronger, thicker, heavier). One (1) ounce equals 437.5 grains. Therefore 10 feet of 36# test line weights approximately 1/4 ounce. For you trivia buffs a grain is an old English standard said to be the average weight of a "grain" of wheat taken from the center of the head.

So it seems that the 45lb weighs 12.4 grains per foot and 60lb weighs 13.1 grains per foot. If you can get it Cortland lead core line might be a cheap alternative for LC13. the cover of the stuff is different but its lead core. Max

SNELLY
13-08-2002, 07:08 AM
Max, Can you tell me what you use as a running line behind you Lead Core Line. Also to join your running line do you use braided mono and thread each end into it and then bind off ?. Then on the fly end a braided loop ?

RE - Running lines - I have used the braided mono - also put the mono up the centre of it - still knots up.

Currently using a cortland floating runing line - it is OK but still like to knot up a bit.

Now waiting on 50Lb Cobra to be available to give it a try.

Anybody elese got some ideas ?

Thanks JON

Maxg
13-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Well I use a co-axial running line, the "stuffed up" system using GsP up 15lb braided mono. I also use a shooting basket, aka line tamer, to keep the knots to a minimum but the system doesn't knot up a lot, if ever.
To connect the LC13 to the backing/running line I use braided mono loops. The stuffed line is finished with a loop, as part of the system, so that it is knotless, and the LC13's are terminated in a braided mono loop, which is just a spliced loop in braided mono with the LC13 stuffed up the braided mono and glued with Loctite 406. It doesn't come out. Glued joints last at least 6 months in salt water, regardless of learned opinion.

ozfisho
14-08-2002, 07:09 PM
Max,

The Cortland lead core that you refer to. Is this the lead core fly line, with the smooth outer like a traditional fly line. Or the lead core trolling line with a braided outer casing?

The lead core seems very stiff. Will this make it difficult to cast?

Maxg
15-08-2002, 11:29 AM
Standard lead core line. It casts Ok I used it in 1970. You need about 30/40 feet depending on the rod. Max

Muzzy
17-08-2002, 08:28 AM
Spouse I use bout 30ft on this 10 weight, no science just from what I read I cut and stuck. Seems to cast ok if its not far enough I just move the boat as I'm fishing down with these lines and all them flash wank bone fish casts aint needed...

keep spitting out all the lead core stuff max, two thumbs ups thats tops mate...

Muz

Maxg
17-08-2002, 11:57 PM
Muzzy, its all very technical but numbers aside if you put a full LC13 on a 10 weight it will work quite well.. I can however recommend a book by Bill Nash to anyone interested in shooting heads, or fly lines generally, relating to rod loads. Its called Flycasting Systems by Bill Nash, email billsknots@aol.com
I'm not sure of the cost but its full of knots and a full table on fly rod loads up to 12 weight. Cheers Max

SNELLY
23-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Does anyone know what the breaking strain of LLC13 is ?

Quinny69
24-08-2002, 07:13 AM
Max, How much LC13 is needed for a 7/8wgt. Im CHUCKING, (It cant be called casting) 21ft joined too Braided Mono, goes like the clappers but as messy as hell, Matt Q

Maxg
25-08-2002, 03:04 PM
For an 8# you need a load of 315gns and for a 7# you need a weight of 278 gns. This works out to be about 24.5 feet for the 8# and 21.5 feet for the 7# but 21 feet is too short for effective casting. It seems that 8 weight is about the bottom limit for LC13 use and 10 weight the top limit.
But it all depends on the fly size. Max

Maxg
25-08-2002, 03:07 PM
PS. Yes it is pure hucking, no false casting allowed, but it will work better if you use 30lb Bionic Braid and stuffing it up 15lb braided mono.
It is pretty thin, no stretch, no knots and shoots like a John Wayne. Use a shopping basket to tame the thing.
Max

Quinny69
26-08-2002, 07:43 AM
Max,Its certenly not the "Poetry in motion" ya see on the Telly. Mines at 22ft and it feels way to heavy still, yet it will be getting pretty short if I chop it, Whats the concequece of a too short head??? AND how do I stuff my running line with braid??? sounds like a very time consuming excercise, or is there a trick to it. Cheers Matt q,

SNELLY
27-08-2002, 07:10 AM
Would this mean that for a 9# the load would be 352 gr thus 27ft of LLC13. Got mine last week and set it up with 50lb Cobra running line. I cast the full 30ft on my 9# but it was a bit heavy. I have cut a foot off it and its a bit better. I'm reluctant to cut too much off.

Is there a Web site where you can get a table of loads from ?

Maxg
27-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Not that I know but I'm working from Bill Nash's tables which would seem to be the bible on the subject. Depends a lot on fly size and the casting style. You can't or shouldn't false cast heads, and I think you might get fed up with cobra if what the experts overseas say about it. Keep it wet, stretched and use a basket.
From the table if you use a DT on your 9# you use a 9# line, if its a WF with a 45' head you use a 10# line, if a WF with a 30" head you use a 11# line. If you use a 30' ST head with a running line use 11#. But this is modified a little by the thickness of the line and the fly size. So if you use a 9# rod and a ST system you need a 11# load or 25.3 feet. But you can cast up to 27 feet with bulky flies.
Generally the 2 weights up rule applies with ST heads and running lines. But there may be some variation in LC13 weights, a lot of it averages 13.5gns/foot rather than 13 so you might need to weight it before you start cutting. I don't use 9# rods and I use 34 feet of LC15 on my 12#.
Keep in mind that with GsP backing lines you sould never have the GsP off the reel during casting, so if you use running lines which come in 100 foot lengths you will have about 15 feet you cannot cast, which reduces your distance. You really need a running line around 120/130 feet long, regardless of its construction. I use 130 foot stuffed running lines which allow me to cast 100 feet without problems, occasionally.
Cheers Max