View Full Version : Tarpon!

Rosso
12-09-2002, 06:17 AM
Whats a good fly to use?

Cheers

Rosso.

vince
12-09-2002, 07:18 AM
try clousers a friend of mine caught on them, actualy try any fly depending on the day what ever they are feeding on, very finicky fish you,ll catch them unexpectedly then hang on.
good luck.
vince.

swflyfish
12-09-2002, 10:15 AM
g'day. As for suitable flies for tarpon I have had the best results with clouser style flies tied on a hook size that is in proportion to the size of the fish you are targeting. Usually sizes from 1/0 to 3/0.
The main reasson for their effectiveness is that tarpon are hard to hook up because of their bony mouth- with a hook-up pattern such as the clouser the hooking potential is increased.

Hope this helps and good luck on a great fish to target on the fly.

Another thing to keep in mind is where the fish are in the water cloumn. Sometimes let the fly sink deep as they can be on or near the bottom- this is even the case when you see them 'finning' as the deeper fish may be the ones feeding more aggressively.

Muzzy
14-09-2002, 07:13 AM
have had alot of fun with the bass vampire fly for the salt water ones here in darwin...

in the freshwater white jig type flies, ie bead chain eye clowsers and charlies etc, small is better as they get it in their gobs more me thinks...

Muzzy
14-09-2002, 07:14 AM
should have mentions that I have better success with the two handed retrieve keeping the fly moving constant rather than fast...