Brett_Finger
11-09-2002, 08:25 AM
could anybody please direct me to the tyeing directions for Gold Bomber flys,
thanks for any help,
Hookin,Brett

MartinF
11-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Brett,

Not sure if there is A Gold Bomber fly. Rather it is a particular colour variation tied in many patterns. ie. black over gold. I've seen flashy profile gold bombers, surf candy gold bombers, fat albert gold bombers and those shaggy dog efforts from Dog Tooth flies. A good material to use for the gold part of the body is Polar flash or Sparkel Flash as it has enough nylon fibre in the flash to allow tying without using other crinkle nylon to support the flash.

Hope that helps - never seen tying instructions for one.

Seeya
Martin

Steve_Ooi
11-09-2002, 01:15 PM
All though there are a lot of different variants on the gold bomber these days, Mick Winterton's could have very well have been the first. Here's a link to a well written story by Dean Butler on Mick's fly and Barra.
http://www.############.au/library/articles/16/16.html

Steve Ooi

Brett_Finger
11-09-2002, 04:47 PM
Thanks fellas,
i'll have a look and see what mess i come up with... hehehehehe ;D
Hookin,Brett

Jack_Lives_Here
12-09-2002, 04:22 AM
I've tied about for the trip north. Tried to make them as bulky as possible to push plenty of water. Included rattles in most and weed / snag guards on a few.

Hey Brett - the local Jacks love 'em.

Brett_Finger
12-09-2002, 04:26 AM
i have a totally hot barra fly,Andy Thompson a guide/mate up airlie beach ties,i've adapated it to gold bomber petten.. looks hot and should go offffffffffffff ;D
have a safe trip up to Hinchenbrook and get plenty of pic's.
Hookin,Brett

Muzzy
14-09-2002, 07:11 AM
I want to know more about this gold bomber fly brett ole son...

do tell

whats different?

me still thinks ez body spreaders are the bestest, other wise a gold clowser does the goods...

anyhows do tell....

other wise check www.flyfishsaltwaters.com have a looks see in the fly archive at the buffy the striper slayer. make the tail and speader, then tie in the over wing shit like a flashy profile fly as they do for the bomber pattern. this staggers flash and gives what one might call multi-flash pionts etc...

works any ways... you seen it

swflyfish
14-09-2002, 08:35 AM
Muzzy, Thanks for the link to that site. I have just had a look and I think I'll be tying up a few this weekend as the forecast is for 30knots. I'll let you know how they go when I get them wet. The pattern looks very effective as it makes a large profile fly with minimal material which makes casting a lot easier too. I rekon the queenfish and giant trevally up here will love them.

Muzzy
14-09-2002, 09:10 AM
make it short and with crystal flash rather than gold flashabou, and may be do the top underwing in blue, gives a refective blueish look to it like a fat arse surf candy...

i dont worry to much about all the stuff they put under the spreader for buffy the striper slayer, I just add hair a flash as a tail and puts a rattle in cause I like noise...

Also tie a deciever like you would normally right. then prior to adding the bucktail over wings and stuff, add a spreader first to the belly section of the fly then tie in buck tail its a fat albert crossed with a deciever if it was white it woyld make you grin, also makes a pink thing look pregnant which aint a bad thing in dirty water...

this ez body stuff rocks (any brand just need to be braided mono tube) just saw a sick arse pattern of a squid made from it...

if you are going to fly then fly red eye!