PDA

View Full Version : Flyline terminations

Maxg
16-09-2002, 09:01 AM
There have been a number of people ask the "how do I terminate my fly line with a braided loop" question, and there have been a large number of ideas from a large number og termination gurus but, in essence the prime object is to put a loop into the fly line that will stay put under ALL circumstances. Technically that means making sure that the fly line is looped, not just stuck in a braided loop, and you do this very simply. Fly lines are generally a plastic outer over a braided polyester core. It might even be a polystyrene core, or it might be a monfilament clear fly line. Either way it will stuff up a piece of 50lb braided monofilament.
The trick is to strip 6" of outer from the the inner core of the fly line and then stuff the lot up the braided monofilament until it exits the end.
Using a large doll needle you then splice both the line inner and the braided mono back on itself. creating a co-axial loop.
It looks like the picture. After you trim it up to look neat you use 2 drops of loctite 406, one at the bottom of the splice to lock the splice and the fly line inner to the loop and the braided mono. Then you pull it straight, and put another drop securing the fly line outer to the braided mono, trim the edges and it's done. You could use some very thin heat shrink over the end if you like.
This thing will not come out, ever, has a breaking strain equal to either the fly line inner, or the 50lb braided mono, which ever is greater, is neat, goes through runners like grease and is simple and very easy to do.
Use a needle applicator with the 406 to reduce the amount used.
I know I'm some kind of idiot but this doesn't take brains to understand or do. Max

Maxg
16-09-2002, 11:37 AM
TRy this for LC13's.

Muzzy
16-09-2002, 11:53 AM
cheers big ears...

these would be good tips to follow if one wanted to make a changable tip set up would it not?

who said you were some kind of idiot? you just got your ideas and ya stick to em nothing wrong with that, if fact I learn more the more you "be like an idiot"as you say.

cheers

Liam Muzzy

SimonM
18-09-2002, 09:10 AM
Definately a handy piece of info for any budding fly fishing types.