PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate or sinking?

Captain_Tube
18-09-2002, 05:24 AM
I guys just joined up, this looks like a pretty good site, I hope to learn a lot.
I've been Saltwalter fly rodding for about a year now and am consistantly catching Bream and flathead while land based using a floating line mainly in channels on Brisbanes north.

Now I am thinking about trying it out of a boat or off rocks, what sort of Fly line should I get?
I'm looking at catching similar species and have thought about getting a SA Striper clear intermediate.
Would this be alright?
At the moment I don't do much boat fishing #so I don't think i need a really deep sinking line just something to get down sub surface.
Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers
Captain

swflyfish
18-09-2002, 07:26 AM
Hello Captain,
There are so many lines around at the moment and each one serves a different purpose. What weight rod are you using and what sort of flies are you using as well?, as this does have an impact.

For most general purpose work the line you mentioned will be just fine. Another option that may be worth considering is the multi-tip lines- these are good if you are fishing a variety of places and depths. They have their disadvantages but are worth it if you cover a variety of fishing and only want 'one' line.

Hope this helps, and if you have more questions-fire away.

Captain_Tube
18-09-2002, 07:47 AM
I am using a 8 weight and mainly use weighted clouser minnow flies because I use a floating line.
Thanks for the reply.

Captain

swflyfish
18-09-2002, 07:53 AM
Hello again Captain,
Sounds like the line you suggested is the one to go for. They are a very good line and I have one I use on my #10weight- they wear very well and sink at a good rate- the extra weight of the clouser will help.

Captain_Tube
18-09-2002, 08:06 AM
Thanks again Hukim, I have heard many good reports from various sources about this line.
A bit off the topic but do you know much about targeting Pelagics on fly.
I am mainly land based but would really like to get into some hard fighting long running fish any tips or ideas.
Thanks again

Captain

Maxg
18-09-2002, 09:52 AM
If you are into things that take a wad of line investigate the shooting head system. Low drag, longer casting and much cheaper. Cheers Max

swflyfish
18-09-2002, 10:29 AM
Hello Captain,
Pelagics on fly? glad to help out-I target them quite often. What sort of pelagic are you interested in? spanish mackerel, queenfish, etc, etc. Each fish has its own characteristics.

vince
18-09-2002, 03:30 PM
hi captain I have all the lines that you require I only use the intermidiat clear line most of the time exept when i am using poppers than i use the floating line, and i am very happy even fishing from a boat for queenies or flathead, unless you want to fish very deep than you need fast sinking line, i fish hinz dam with intermidiat too. good luck with your fishing.
cheers vince.

Captain_Tube
19-09-2002, 06:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses, this really seems a very helpful forum.
Hukim I'm not really sure what I want to target exactly.
I guess I have basically been focussing on Bream and Flathead so am looking to expand into catching other species.
What would be a good next species, considering I am mainly land based, and fish mainly around the Brisbane north - Redcliffe area.
Thanks again.
Captain

Quinny69
19-09-2002, 10:03 AM
I live on Bris Nrt side and I get Bass, Tarpon and pleanty of others, Land based. With a boat you can get onto some great fish but there are some good land based spots. Go for the Bass on surface fly at Hinze, great fun...Matt Q

swflyfish
19-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Hello again Captain,
Brisbane North side hey? Not much help to you there as I live up in FNQ but I have lived and fished the fly down there and I guess some of the species that spring to mind are tailor, tuna, cobia, Dolphin fish etc although these are not all accessible from the shore- I used to chase tailor from the beach.

If you are fishing beaches where there are waves or similar then a fast sink line is preferable as it doesn't get moved around as much and you can punch them out easier into the surf.

Try checking out the flyfishing clubs in the area- I know of a few in Bris and also the Sunshine Coast- give Gavin/Maria Platz at Tie n Fly a call as they will know what is happening.

Captain_Tube
19-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys, Yeah I have heard about Tailor in the area, so that might be a start.
Hukim FNQ ohh how I envy you.
Yes, I have had contact with Gavin and his wife before and found them very helpful, so it might be an idea to give them another call.

Quinny69 without giving away any big secrets any good land based spots to catch the bigger harder fighting species on fly?
Do you catch bass at hinze using a boat or from the land, I tried there once with little success.

Thanks for the info.

Captain

Captain_Tube
21-09-2002, 07:13 AM
Yesterday was my RDO so I went out and Got the SA Striped bass intermediate, gave it a quick test run and was quite impressed.
It was very breazy yesterday but the line was easy to cast and manage, and shot out a mile.
Tomorrow I will be about to give it a better run.Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
Captain

Quinny69
22-09-2002, 05:26 AM
I sometimes take my punt down to Hinze, but its not necessary. Theres some great fly spots around nrt Bris. You would be amazed where Tarpon, Trevs, Giant herring, Bass can all be found. Nuggets got some good articals in the latest Bush n Beach on the type of places to look, the next issue will have one too. The Bris river has enough sport fish to keep most busy for a long time....Try collages crossing closer to Xmas for Tarpies. Cheers MQ