PDA

View Full Version : slow striping or fast?

vince
24-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Hi guys wich is the most preferd line striping on average fish lets say bream or flathead. I had more success with short fast action than slow, but most people say got more with slow striping so witch is witch.
cheers vince

Chris_Dunham
25-09-2002, 08:02 AM
Vince,

It is not possibe to strip too slowly for bream as they will often take the fly "on the drop" and more often on the long pause between a series of short jerky strips.

This is not to say that they will not also take flies that are retrieve fast. Which retrieve is going to work best is going to come down to where you find the fish, how deep they are, what they are feeding on and about a million other factors we know bugger all about so just experiment as you go - which is after all one of the enjoyable parts of fishing - constantly having to re figure out whats going to work best.

Flathead arn't the smartest fish on the block and a fairly constant medium paced strip will bring them undone.

Cheers,

Chris.

########.

Stuie_02
26-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Hi Vince

Bream i find either gets munch on the drop or on a pause so you need to watch the line for slight movements. i would keep the fly going really slowly strip and pause.
i think there is something that says eat me on the drop bit of retrieve.

Flathead this big lizards are the hoovers of the ocean i keep the fly tickling over the ground. it doesnt matter what pattern as long as its fairly close to the bottom.

Stuie http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm30.gif