PDA

View Full Version : Large Arbor 7wt

Jack_Lives_Here
04-10-2002, 10:52 AM
Wanting a large arbor for my 7wt for light pelgic work. Don't want to spend big $$$, because it just won't get that much work.
Seen a "Genisus" from Killwell in an NZ magazine for NZ$100. Any good ??????

dudley
04-10-2002, 04:33 PM
Hey Jack,
if you can't spend too many bucks, i bought an ocuma 7/9 wide arbour reel for $50. It is a graphite body, with a star type drag, called an airstream.
They also make an aluminium version with disc drag for about $150.
Seems pretty good for me on 6wt.
The other wide arbour ive got is a BFR
11/12. Damn good reel. Got it discounted for $170 here in Melb.
Have a look at the cheaper ocuma, you will be surprised.
Good luck,
Dudley

Toddy
04-10-2002, 05:15 PM
Jack,check out the Fenwick River Runners.Cheap,good backing capacity,light,cork drag,large arbour....cant really ask much more than that.
Look out in a few places for an unbadged version that is a bit cheaper.Same reel just no Fenwick on it.
Hope that helps a bit.
Toddy

Maxg
06-10-2002, 01:52 PM
Basically LA reels are only give serious advantages like high speed line retrieval, low spool inertia if they are over 4 inches in diameter, going below 4 inches means very low backing capacity with full lines. You are better off with standard arbor reels particularly with reels suitable for 7 weights. To get any sort of backing capacity with LA you really need to look at 4.5 inches diameter.
Get a small LA reel and it barely holds a full line. I know you will think I'm a dill but have a good look at the things, small diameter very little area for line and to get any capacity at all they widen the spool. After the line is gone, like on a long cast the spool is darn near empty. Cheers Max

swflyfish
09-10-2002, 10:45 AM
G'day Max G- Finally someone who doesn't get taken into the 'hype' of large arbour reels. I have used and will continue to use standard reels as I don't think the 'advantages' of LA reels comes to much in the equation of things. I would much rather have more backing than a faster retrival rate.

I guess it's all personal opinion- but after fishing the salt for the past 8 years up in the north and chasing some fast nasties both on the flats and the blue water- I have had no inclination to change.

Jack_Lives_Here
09-10-2002, 10:58 AM
Dudley, Toddy
Thanks for your comment - info taken on board.

Max & Hukim
Any suggestions as to which reel in a standard type config???

Maybe should have worded my post as "Large Capacity Backing", that's what I'm really after.

dudley
09-10-2002, 12:07 PM
Jack,
check out the proangler.com.au web site. They are down here in melb. but do mail order.
I purchased a 9/10 wt STALKER reel with disc drag. I have 10wt wff + 300m of 20kg braid. Great reel and only $75.
They also have others .
Good Luck,
Dudley

swflyfish
09-10-2002, 12:25 PM
G'day again Jack- As for advice on what reels to use- I fish exclusively with Hayden reels and find these to be the best for quality, reliability, durability and value for money. They are a little dearer than what I think you are looking for though.

Jack_Lives_Here
09-10-2002, 01:24 PM
Yeh, definitely nice piece of gear but can't justify price for outfit I will only use occassionaly.

Maxg
09-10-2002, 03:37 PM
Well I suggest you get onn the net and try to find an Orvis Odyssey+3 which is wide spool small arbor and holds a mile of backing line, plus a full line. Its got a fantastic cork drag and Orvis are quitting them these days. It's probably the best small narrow arbor reel in existance, will last for millennia and looks great, its black. I'm not fond of Hayden reels, or a lot of other things, but try to find the orvis, or get in touch with Paul at Oldfloridareels.com and look at a standard model 5 or a LA55 which is absolutely great. The arbor isn't that large. sort of medium.I've got two OF reels and they are top stuff. Max

Stuie_02
10-10-2002, 05:30 PM
hey jack

What sort of drag system does that reel have. if it is a simple clicking wheel thing (very techo tonite :D).

im pretty sure that reel reel was designed for trout. i think you would find the first big run would blow it to bits.

You need a decent drag system and a counterbalanced handle. go and by a cheap $25 (from Kmart) fly reel and destroy it on a decent fish.

I would have a look at the scientific anglers there a new LA for around $150 - $200 mark. Otherwise have a scrounge around for a good band at second hand prices.

Stuie

Maxg
11-10-2002, 09:47 PM
I have a feeling that this will upset the multitude but, drags on fly reels are a serious subject for debate. Fact is they are not necessary for 7 weights since the fish are not that big nor are likely to be horrible beasties. The reel should have a minimal sort of "stop over-run" drag and a good palming rim.The number of times you will get into the backing will also be minimal so what the hell do you need magnificant drag systems for.
The realities of drag system on fly reels for light outfits seems to be missing in this sport. Forget drags, just get a good narrow arbor standard reel with a good palming rim and get at it. This ridiculous obsession with hefty lock up drags in fly reels cost me two drag knobs for my Steelfin XFR when 2 ning nongs decided to try locking up a drag designed not to go that far.
So my view is understandable. Max

Jack_Lives_Here
12-10-2002, 04:07 AM
Point noted Max, but don't agree for my application. Scenario - Merrily casting to those little jellybeans and a big old longtail or larger Mac T or big munchie type thing crabs my fly - regular occurance. It will get to backing in no time at all. I've had the Alvey to backing on those Mac Tuna.
I've pretty much settled on a Fenwick VK78 reel. More money than I wanted to sepnd but it will last a lifetime. Should be able to pick it next week.

swflyfish
12-10-2002, 05:50 AM
Have to agree here with Jack about the need for a good drag on a #7weight. I predominantly fish the flats with my #7weight and there are times when the drag doesn't come into play and then there are times when I thank god that it is of a good quality. It is now very common to see people using lighter weight rods for applications that they would have used a heavier rod a few years ago. I believe that you need a good drag system on the lighter rods if you are going to be encountering some big fast fish. Sure you can palm them too but this isn't always an option and I would much rather prefer to have a finely tuned drag doing the work for me when I have that 'fish of a lifetime' attached to the other end of the line. As with all types of fishing there is no one right or wrong way to do things and it all comes down to personal preference and the situation you are fishing in.