PDA

View Full Version : Strudwick fly rods

sporty1
11-10-2002, 03:39 AM
I am looking at purchasing a new fly rod,can anyone give me some advice on the benefits of Loomis v Strudwick rods. I will be fishing both estuary and dam, so perhaps an 8wt will be my preference. What would be a suitable reel for this rod?
Also what type of fly line shoud I use for general estuary work, eg type colour etc.
And lastly any favourite fly patterns and colours for flathead and bream .

swflyfish
11-10-2002, 06:02 AM
G'day Sporty,
Lots of questions. As with any type of fishing there is never only one right answer and a lot of variables but here goes.

As for the two brands of rods you have mentioned I hear both are good. There are a heap of brands out there and many are well worth the money-it is really a case of looking at a few different types and making a decision on what 'feels' best for you. Have you had a look at the Black Diamond range? These are sold exclusively in Australia. An #8weight sounds like the right weight for what you want if you are working the dams and the estuaries.

Fly-reels- heaps on the market that will suit your needs and it is all a matter of price and quality. Best to look around at different types and then make a decision. I think it is common knowledge that I am a huge Hayden Reels fan but I do understand that not everyone has the money or preference for these exceptional reels.

As for a line- don't skimp on quality. I would suggest buying the best you can afford in either a floating or intermediate. Another way to go is to purchase the lines with a sinking tip and floating body. I don't think colour is as important as some make it out to be unless you are fishing very clear water like on the flats- then go to a clear line if possible.

As for flies for the type of fishing you are doing. A few that spring straight to mind are the clouser and crazy charlie- there really are a stack to use depending on the fish and the environment you are fishing. As for colour-look for a contrast in colour more than the colours themselves as fish see in grayscale not actual colours.

Hope this is of some help and if there are any more questions I would be happy to help out.

Maxg
11-10-2002, 07:29 AM
I think a clarification is necessary here, fishes may see in colour, similar to humans, depending on the areas they inhabit. Oceanic fishes probably, because there is no red in the ocean, see only blue/green, but Lutjanus species do see blue/green/orange yellow, ie red. also depending where they live, clear or muddy waters.
MahiMahi are dichromats and see only blue/green.
Fishes eyes are different from humans in a lot of respects basically because they live in water, and there are over 25,000 species with just about as many different life styles requiring different visual systems. Not all are the same, some do see in greyscale, some don't, some have tapetum lucidum some dont
Visibility in the ocean is relative to the water colour, illumination and particle content and presentation depth and photon reflection, which relates to the colours themselves.
But in the rod area look at Temple Fork, very good value and probably as good as Loomis, or maybe even Strudwick. For reels try Fenwick if you want value for money but with 8 weights forget the LA syndrome just get a reel.
Cheers Max

swflyfish
11-10-2002, 08:35 AM
Maxg- Thanks for the clarification there. Seems as though you have done some serious study in this area.
I stand corrected!

DavidW
11-10-2002, 08:51 AM
Hey Sporty,

I have a Struddie eight weight and it is a great rod. I use it mainly in the estuaries, but have caught drummer, GTs, salmon and carp (7lb+) on it. The good thing about them is they are Aussie made!

As far as reels go. Take a look around is my best advice and get one that suits the rod you end up with. My only suggestion is to get one that has a reasonable drag on it, cos ya never know when you might come across something that takes a bit of line!

I have two lines that I use in the estuaries, depending on what the target is and how deep the water is. I use a Teeny Saltwater (WF8F) floating line for mullet, bream around the oysters and shallow water. I use a Cortland Clear Camo Intermediate sink line for deeper water, both are great lines and cast well.

Flies...mmmm.... crazy charlies, clousers, deceivers and bread flies would be the ones I tie on the most, and would be a good place to start.

Good luck! :)

DavidW

sporty1
11-10-2002, 02:20 PM
Hi Guys thanks for the replies. Where does one find "Black Diamond or Temple fork rods?
What Brand Fly lies are considered good value for money?
I agree with the principle of buying local if the product is of comparable quality.

swflyfish
12-10-2002, 05:32 AM
Hey Sporty, you can find the Black Diamond range of SaltWater FlyRods on the web site www.swflyfish.com as for the Temple Fork I think they are sold out of WA - not absolutely sure on that one though.

As for lines I have found the Air Flo range to be the best for use up in FNQ. Their construction is different and they don't tend to crack or wear as fast as some of the other brands.

sporty1
12-10-2002, 12:43 PM
Thanks again for the reply, I am still leaning toeards a strudwick 8wt or loomis GL3 F1088GL3 2PIECE FOR $505 Delivered. or Mega F1088/9

sporty1
12-10-2002, 12:44 PM
Thanks again for the reply, I am still leaning toeards a strudwick 8wt for $479 or loomis GL3 F1088GL3 2 Piece $505 Delivered. or Mega F1088/9 #8/9 weight for $577. Any other ideas on suitable rods within the $400 - $500 price range.

Stuie_02
12-10-2002, 04:18 PM
Hi Sporty

i just recently picked up a #7 im6 Temple fork Outfit $395 includes a nice case and postage and a stamp from WA. Good rod casts nicely for me and being Im6 is cheaper and able to handle abit more abuse than higher modulous rod.

thing to look at is the replacement cost of wrecking one of these not that im a great believer in destroying rods via clousers, more through doors etc. Or have a look at the extent of warranty 5yrs or life.

have you seen the newer strudwicks the SFS range as these are fairly cheap. but i went with the TFO it just tipped the scales for me.

Stuie_02
12-10-2002, 04:26 PM
Ooops

forgot the most imoprt advice for flatties and bream. 10 to 12ft leader taper down to about 8lb line and use either a floating or Intermediate line (Fast sink of you have it0. but generally a intermediate is good general purpose.

As for flies my preferance is crazy charlie. But have a look at the 'new' style flies jelly belly. And have a look at BMS (works for me). Lately i have been working on crab style flies (like the ones used on permit stacked hair) painful to tie but get results.

For flatties have something working right n the bottom and worked slowly across the bottom.

Flatties easy to catch. But bream probably take a couple goes but worth the effort.

Stuie

sporty1
13-10-2002, 07:37 AM
Thanks Stuie, great feedback I will check out the website. Does anyone have a favourite style, colour and size or flathead, bream fly.

Chris_Dunham
13-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Sporty,

My personal favourite bream fly is the Estuary BMS and Hammerhead by Muz Wilson.

http://www.########.com.au/########.nsf/docs/MW23/$file/MW23_280.jpg

Also like Chris Beach's "Flathead Bendback".

http://www.########.com.au/########.nsf/docs/Z141/$file/Z141_280.jpg

Cheers,

Chris.

sporty1
14-10-2002, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the info chris, What size do you recomend for these two flys?

Chris_Dunham
14-10-2002, 08:06 AM
Sporty,

Size #8 for the BMS is about right and for the Hammerheads #6, #4 and #2 with #4 being the size I use most often.

Cheers,

Chris.