PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Fly Line???

Jack_Lives_Here
23-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Want to give the fly lines a clean. Probably been asked before but - What do I use? ???

Quinny69
25-11-2002, 07:39 AM
Dave, 4 your slime lines (clear Int) just use warm,mild soapy water. the good ones will be as slick as new in a while. For floaters I use amorall,give the line a good "buff job", It does the job as well as the $20 stuff, Matt Q

Steve_Ooi
25-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Although a lot of people use armorall on their flylines ,i heard enough reason as not to use it.
Some say 303 is a better product and will not dry/strip the plasticer out of your line.
Alot of fly line manufacture do not recommend armorall, rainx, wd-40, petroleum based products or harsh detergents for cleaning lines.

Why take the risk when for a couple of extra bucks you can use something designed for flylines.
I personally believe the investment in a bottle of "Glide" or other fly line conditioner is worth the little extra.
Warm soapy water , run the line through a flannel or cloth, dry and apply line conditioner as per instructions on bottle.

Poony

Muzzy
26-11-2002, 03:17 PM
soap box with two bits of sponge in each half and acoouple of slots end for end

then what ever ya want to use, it gives you that third hand you often need trying to wind on unloaded fly line.

I use turtle wax, as I find it keeps it from gettig all sticky and hot like they do in the tropics longer. It aint done nothing to the line yet, Dont suspect it would either as it protects paints which are real funny with addatives. Not say9ing its the best like that gilde stuff, It wouldnt be but it makes my line more managable for longer IMHO no science just what I do.

But the soap box dead set helps heaps...

swflyfish
28-11-2002, 10:20 AM
To clean fly lines I use a mild dishwashing liquid in warm water and run the line through a cloth in the water. This is for all lines. I wind them onto a large drying reel to dry and store the lines. For my floating lines I also coat them with a floatant from Scientific angler not Armoral, wax, hair conditioner or any of the other suggested coatings.

I clean my lines after each outing and at the same time I clean the reel and rod in the same solution.

I have found the drying reels to be an excellent idea and they are not hard to make. I have one for each line and they are stored on these when not in use.

Hope this helps.

angelena
03-12-2002, 07:46 AM
when i bought my other half new line little cloths came with it that had some cleaning stuff on them already I don't know if you could get them by themselves or how much they'd be.