PDA

View Full Version : Hook Style

spehrsy
29-11-2002, 03:19 AM
Hi All,

I know this topic has probably been pounded in the past but I will pose it once more.

I have recently got into a bit of swoffing and fly tying for southern victorian species (bream, flathead, taylor, slamon etc.). After having a little success I notice that I was getting a lot of hook-ups but was not landing nearly as many fish. To cut to the chase I suspect my problem may be fly/hook size. Do any of you guys have some suggestions as to sizes, styles and brands of hooks I can try. I know it is not a sharpness issue as I regularly do the "thumbnail" test and I carry a hook sharpener. The pattern I am using most is a crazy charlie style pattern with a flashy wing, similar to bushy's bream fly in Flylife #28. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Spehrsy :)

DavidW
29-11-2002, 03:39 AM
Spehrsy,

It may not be a hook problem, but the way your are striking when the fly gets hit.....

I usually use a hook like Mustad 34007, Daichi 2546 or the Talon Stainless Fly hooks for my Crazy Charlies, Clousers etc. Sizes vary from 6 for Salmon up to 1/0 for flathead. They rarely pull out unless you skull drag the fish!

What hooks are you using?

spehrsy
29-11-2002, 03:54 AM
Thanks David for your comments. I have been using Mustad 34007, DAICHII (Not sure what model) and Gamakatsu's saltwater fly range. So far I have been using size 4's. I don't believe I was fighting the fish too forcefully, maybe I was not forceful enough in setting the hook. I have pretty much tried all suggested brands so I thought the next thing to check would be size. Is it possible that there is not enough hook exposed or that the body on my fly is too bulky? ???

Spehrsy

DavidW
30-11-2002, 02:50 AM
Spehrsy,

I would think that would be a problem with the fly you are using, but you could try a size 2 perhaps.

I have caught salmon on size 6 clousers, GTs on size 4s, bream on size 4s and flathead on 2s, 1s and 1/0s, so size shouldn't be an issue.

I would look at making sure you give a good strip strike when the fly gets hit just to make sure the hook is set.

Stuie_02
05-12-2002, 11:22 AM
Sphersy

I dont think a change in patterns will change much as crazy charlie rides hook up. Bream have there greedy gobs in the middle, so a hook riding point up or point down will not change the situation.

it sounds like the bream has sucked in the fly and has been spat out. Bream dont chomp they sip or suck . Aim the rod at the fly direct contact.

You can muck around with different sizes but i think a 4 would do the trick. i have a range of crazy charlies from 8 - 2/0.

Cheers
Stuie :) :)