PDA

View Full Version : My New Reel

Jack_Lives_Here
04-12-2002, 04:50 AM
Settled on the new Fenwick VK79R reel, to mate to the Loomis 7wt for those Mac Tuna.

Maybe the bower bird in me but also like the idea of the drag adjustment knob the the backing plate - no busted knuckles on those fast runs while fumbling to tighten the drag. ;D

Maxg
04-12-2002, 09:55 AM
Ah drags, that funny rim on the side of the spool is for drag settings. one doesn't adjust drags, one wears out palms. Cheers Max

swflyfish
05-12-2002, 07:19 AM
I don't understand why people opt for a direct drive reel when chasing species that will run like tuna. Why not choose an anti reverse reel instead? No busted knuckles and more control.

Jack_Lives_Here
05-12-2002, 08:12 AM
I've got an Alvey for the 9/10 - love it. 8) The new reel is going onto the 7wt and is my light gear option. It has drag adjustment on the rear plate so I don't get my knuckles dinged up - that's what help influence my decision.

Wesley_Pang
05-12-2002, 03:47 PM
Dave,

I'm with you on having the drag knob on the frame and not the spool.

You do not want your fingers anywhere near the handle when you are adjusting the drag. I always adjust my drag when I'm fighting a fish. I set the drag initially fairly light, so I can strip the line off comfortably. When I've hooked up I up the drag(probably too high, but hey the fish will have to work if it want to take any backing off me).

The rim control is fine if you want to lock up, but its not as delicate as the drag. I don't see the point of spend good money on a drag if you are just going to use your palm.

I love the direct connection I feel when I'm fly fishing with direct drive reel. I can feel the fish struggling at the end of the leader. There is not gears or drag between me and the fish. When the fish start to make a run, I can feel it through the handle. I let go of the handle and the drag takes over.

All my fly reels are direct drive. I feel fishing with an anti-reverse is like fishing with an overhead/baitcaster or spin reel. You turn the handle and you don't know if the line is coming in or going out. I'd fish with a spin outfit before I'd use a anti-reverse fly reel. I wouldn't be interested in a multiplier fly reel either.

Wes

Maxg
06-12-2002, 01:57 PM
I've got a mate over here in WA who reckons drags are useless appendages for fly reels, or words to that effect. If it's got a palming rim he reckons thats all the drag one needs. He kind of likes my Steelfin basically because there isn't a lot of drag. Names Ron Pearson, and he knowes a thing or two about this stuff. Cheers Max

Jack_Lives_Here
07-12-2002, 04:15 AM
Personal choice I guess ;) - my choice is a reel with a drag.