PDA

View Full Version : fishing holiday

jock
22-01-2003, 09:34 PM
HELLO AGAIN FELLO ANGLERS,IM TRAVELING TO CAIRNS IN APRIL AND DRIVING TO SYDNEY VIA A CAMPERVAN DOING LOADS A FISHING ON THE WAY IM BRINGING MY OWN TACKLE AND IM WONDERING WHAT WEIGHT OF FLY LINE I SHOULD BRING OVER HERE IN SCOTLAND I CAN TARGET MOST FISH WITH A SIZE 7 CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON WHATS THE NORM FOR AUSTRALIAN FLY FISHING?

Maxg
22-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Ah weel laddie, anything from a 6 to a 60# depending on where you want to huck it. But I guess Cairns to Sydney in a campervan means coastal stuff, salt water I guess and there will be a mint of guys on that track to tell you what goes.
Be god and lotsa luck. Max

jock
23-01-2003, 06:19 AM
THANKS MAX LUCK, I THINK WE ALL NEED WHEN WE GO FISHING,YES I IMAGINE IT WILL MOSTLY BE SALT WATER STUFF BUT I ALSO HOPE TO GET SOME FRESHWATER BATTLES ASWELL DO YOU KNOW OF ANY HOT SPOTS ON THE WAY DOWN?

Maxg
24-01-2003, 06:37 AM
There's one every 5 feet, check with the locals, Stuey Ooi where art thou. Max

Steve_Ooi
24-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Well for starters the best bet would be for you to pop in here at Cairns at the local fishing shops, call in to either Erskine’s tackle and see the guys or call into the Fishing Warehouse and see Shane he’s the sort of bloke that would crawl a 100 miles naked over broken glass to catch fish, so he definitely knows what is on the go. Either way tell them I sent you and they will look after you.
Most of the inshore fly fishing options that are available can be done with a 8 weight rod ,generally for the north ends of Australia the 8/9 weight rods are the go while down towards Sydney 7/8 are better suited.
Plenty of flats fishing is available along the coast along with many option off rock ledges and creeks and river systems.
Some really good freshwater fishing can be had in the tropical north rivers chasing jungle perch and sooty grunter. While line burning queenfish and trevally can put you into your backing along the coast.
Flats fishing just north of Cairns can be good with places such as Yule point, Four mile beach and Wonga beach all near Port Douglas are worth a look.
Any of the many creek /river entrances are excellent places to start throwing flies, liverpool creek, Hull river, Tully river, Barron river , are a few to start, just grab a map look for the rivers and water ways and start exploring.
One spot I always call into when heading south is the Dingo beach, Hydeway bay area near Proserpine.
Great spot, nice beaches clear water , plenty of fish and good flats to fish from.
As Max said there is literally thousand of place to fish between Cairns and Sydney , so where every you stop , just pull out the rod and have a cast , even some of the most unlikely piece of water hold fish.
Have fun
Steve Ooi

Ps : beware of the crocodile factor when fishing Northern waters, use common sense and you'll be alright.