PDA

View Full Version : SST pattern

Maxg
25-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Look at "danblanton.com" the hotflies section on the menu and see the SST pattern in all its glory. You might find it interesting.
Max

Wesley_Pang
26-01-2003, 05:48 AM
Max,

http://www.danblanton.com/images/SSTflylogo2.jpg

Interesting pattern. Sort of a combination of a surf candy and clouser(2 of the best fies ever invented) on a EC413 jig hook. But with an new twist attaching the weight at the back of the hook.

Have you tied any? Or caught any fish on it.

I may give it a go on the longtails.

Wes

Maxg
26-01-2003, 11:17 PM
No but I'm diddling with one using angel hair and EZ Body material. All silver on a EC413 hook. But I think it would be better on a longer jig hook, to get the point further back.
I have some old Herters hooks which are half inch longer than EC413's, and will do one up on that.
The front of mine will be all EZ braid material, with eyes. I'm half finished, its on hold while I sort out a Loop 8/9 12'4" rod. Getting the lines right is a pain in butt. Cheers Max

Stuie_02
29-01-2003, 08:40 AM
Hi Max/Wes

sounds interesting the spine being a weighted section of line and epoxy. I was reading the story which contains some modifications you can do such as moving the weight around. Which will give a different action

Action should br very jig like depending on speed of stripping and weight.

Cheers
Stuie

Quinny69
29-01-2003, 07:30 PM
You could use the SINKiNG glass rattles as a keal, cover it with epoxy/maylar,,,,,, Great looking fly, wish my local tackle shops had jig hooks. Matt Q

Voltzy
29-01-2003, 07:49 PM
Matt,
Hope I dont tread on any retailer toes here but I was able to get them in bris from steve badman, master jig builder, Tie and Fly at mooloolabah has them occaisionally too. They were quite reasonably priced. I have a couple left in 1/0 and 4/0 if you want to have a play with some.
Voltz

Quinny69
30-01-2003, 08:15 AM
Voltz, I wanna tie up some Flatty flies so if you got any spare 1/0s Id love to have a go at them. I found 90deg jig hooks at Mossops but they were lil cab things, no good. Matt Q

Maxg
02-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Well its not a copy of a Surf Candy, or a Clouser, and Almost the best might be a more truthfulk quote, thry this lot. They are the original "Sliver" bottom and the SST version top.
Most visible flies, reflect every light photon that gets near them.. Max