PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Fly Fishing

Brett_Finger
17-02-2003, 02:20 PM
it seems the craze is dieing out, or is it just a bad time of the year??
Hookin,Brett 8)

Maxg
17-02-2003, 02:46 PM
Brett, maybe people are beginning to grow up. Its just another method of catching fish, and thats all it is, and for that matter all it's ever been.
Hows the stick, bust it yet.???Max

Steve_Ooi
17-02-2003, 05:38 PM
Arrr many joined too smell that sweet perfume they thought was a sense of piscatorial nobleness, yet instead they found many that reeked of Chardonnay swirling snobbery.

It is indeed just another form of fishing no better no worse than any other.

They come and go like the tide.

That’s enough verbal crap dribbling from me, I’m going fishing.

Poony

#
Ps: # # # Didn’t know there was a craze, but I’m a bit slow in that department.
Anyone that is starting flyfishing can do themselves a big favour #by reading anything that involves Harro, Dean Butler #and as much as you can about Ron Pearson.. #
These guys make the waves , others just ride them.

Toddy
17-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Not for me BF.
I love it.Specially tuna! :)
But there are times when flyfishing just isnt an option.
Like recently up at Monduran.Just not gunna happen. :)
Anyway...I love it all the same.I really get a lot of satisfaction out of flys that I have tied that catch fish.
Even if somebody else fishes with them.

Toddy

Brett_Finger
18-02-2003, 02:40 AM
weeldone boys,
i too just love fly fishing,but the amount of posts and people around the traps are not just asking about it any more,i seem to rember a Trav from Springwood Marine saying a while back the number of folks enquireing about flyin has dropped off a great deal.

Max,
the rod is safe and well,it will be in Harro's hands on his next visit,thanks for the loan it is a true wepon ;D
Hookin,Brett

Chris_Dunham
18-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Brett,

As far as we can tell saltwater fly is still growing at quite a rate.

Regards,

Chris.

########.

Jack_Lives_Here
18-02-2003, 08:16 AM
Nuh - wasn't a craze thing for me but a more challenging way to catch the fish I've caught on normal gear - becoming nearly an addiction for me.

Maxg
18-02-2003, 08:31 AM
Hey Brett, don't let him near it, I've loaned him two rods and he busted both. VBG. But its a tough beastie, you might let him look at it, just look, since he was 50% in the design project, like dual partnership. Its an original, made by Peter Goadby's guys at Penn n Fenwick in Sydney. like about 20 odd years old. If I remember rightly Harro busted a few on Pap Bass. Just funnin' cheers have fun. Max

Brett_Finger
18-02-2003, 04:05 PM
hahahahaha,
message recived and understood! ;)
thanks again for the loan mate,

i used it to pry my bogged 4x4 out the mud,bearly put a bend in it!!1 ;D ;D

i might give it 1 more run on those Big faust barra!! :o
thake care mate,
Hookin,Brett :)

mackmauler
18-02-2003, 04:31 PM
I think the craze is over with the advertising, there are still some very crazy fly fishers out there, can't see them becoming sane any time soon ;D

Jack_Lives_Here
19-02-2003, 04:46 AM
Hey Rob, how would one of those hoo's go on the wand - YEEEHAAA!! Giddy up!!

mackmauler
19-02-2003, 06:19 AM
The fingers shudder at the thought ;)

Wesley_Pang
19-02-2003, 06:50 AM
Dave,

I got into some wahoo over at Rowley Shoals off WA. You need a location where it is crawling with wahoo.

Our technique is to tow some teasers(laser pro) without hooks or with hooks on a 50lb outfit to skulldrag them in.

Once you get a hit, put boat into neutral, clear the teasers and throw out some pillies(Livebait would be better). They didn't seem to eat the pillies but kept them interested, livies would really get them going.

Throw out tandom hook flies with wire leader on fast sinking flylines. Let them sink deep. Strip very fast. Hold on when you get a hookup.

We also found the big game boat kept them around. We didn't have much luck with the smaller tenders.

Our group landed about 5 wahoo for the trip. I lost mine after the 1st run, damm sharks. I'm planning to get back over there next year.

Back to the question.

I think the puff has gone out of swoffing. There are a few "diehards", that the flyrod is the "weapon" of choice. But most angler only turn to the fly if the "bite" is very hot, but prefer conventional gear.

With the interest in swoffing declining, there are a few bargains around. Some guys have bought the good quality gear for a trip north, found it too hard, and its been sitting in the locker for a few years, and have now decided to sell.

I'm circling like a vulture over any top quality fly gear. I have my eyes peeled for an Abel Super 11.

Wes

Maxg
19-02-2003, 08:33 AM
Ah well its a matter of choice. One time to be in it was dangerous to ego's, if you mucked up where you could be seen, reputation in the mud. So stay away. Now its too hard, but really in its right place its the easiest thing there is. On the other hand if you restrict you efforts to just 9 foot rods you will never get the best out of it. Long rods have a very serious place in this sport, you just have to sort it out.
I think you need to have a lot of spinning background, particularly with lead head jigs. Off boats it's easy, like eating ice cream, but it isn't so easy off rocks and beaches, it takes a lot of effort.
Another point is that most Swoffers know bugger all about fish and what they see, and go crazy with fly patterns, some designed for particular American locations. I did Ok on straight out white and silver, as did Ron Pearson, colours are crap really, water isn't a very colourfull place, and little fish are very hard to see, if you are a fish. You do need to know a bit about fish, their habits and where and what they feed on.
Its better in tropical regions where there are more very hungry fishes. Cheers Max

Jack_Lives_Here
19-02-2003, 09:03 AM
Pretty broad, generalised comment there max.
My knowledge of the colour spectrum under the briney, comes from my scuba diving experience. Natural progression to tie flies similar to what i see the fish eating - pretty simple - nothing hard about that.

But hey I'm a novice no one. ;)

Muzzy
19-02-2003, 03:23 PM
your not telling me I aint cool no more with me long wand r ya finger?

still seems to be growing my end.

Muz

Brett_Hoskin
20-02-2003, 05:55 PM
wITH HAIR LIKE YOURS wHO NEEDS A FLYROD to be cool, mUZZY??? ;D ;D ;D

Brett_Finger
21-02-2003, 04:29 AM
Muzman!
Not a chance Maaaaaaaaaaate, ;D
spent the day on the flats yesterday chaseing Goldens and other things,got a couple of smaller GT's (10lb) but no Goldies. :'(

wish i was there this morning wind has dropped to nothing am hopeing for a shot tommorow ;)
Hookin,Brett

thunnus
21-02-2003, 07:49 AM
big fella - weather is looking super fine for the weekend - you coming down for the tuna challange at hervey bay?

cheers, Justin

Brett_Finger
21-02-2003, 03:01 PM
Justin,
weather looking a mabey for the week-end :P
might pop down for a Gossip session shoot me the details in a PM.

i'll be shooting out tommorow and Sat weather PERMITting :o

depends on whats on the flats,
Tuna and GT's in the same 5ft of water feeding on bait,the best fun in shallow water !!!

when it this clean you stand on the poleing deck and site fish the suckers !!!!
Yeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaa ;D ;D ;D

all the best of luck for the weekend i might, as i say pop down for a chat on sat arvo.
Hookin,Brett :)

Maxg
23-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Jack... well I've bin there done that too, from 1945 to around 74, been in a few places around the globe, snorkel and lung,and I am, like you, a trichromat, I see all the colours, and mostly the ocean is a blue, dank and dark place. Unless of course you light it up. Fish don't have lights, and a lot of them don't see red, particularly the oceanic types.
If you had your eyes peeled while diving you would have noticed that white is easier to see than blues and greens and silver is very visible. You would have noticed that the fish are counter shaded for camoflage and it works. But mostly we seem to forget we are humans and fish are not, they are fish, and there are about 25,000 species of the things and not many are similar, few are identical, if any at all.
And the view changes as the water gets dirtier, and visual distances get smaller and fishes get harder to see.
There is nothing special about that.
Like there is nothing special about SWF, its just a great way to fish. Max