PDA

View Full Version : want to have a go at fly

caveman
26-01-2003, 09:08 PM
i would like to have ago at flyfishing but dont know a thing about it and was wondering ware i can get a dirt cheap fly reel as i already have a rod so as to see whether i can handle the frustration or not
any coments or hints appr thx
gary

Chris_Dunham
27-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Gary,

What line weight is your fly rod? and what sort of fish do you intend to have a go at first?

Apart from the reel the best move would be to hook up with a fly fisher in your area for some lessons - preferably a real instructor. Money very well spent as the lessons will reduce the frustration factor of learning the new skills considerably.

Cheers,

Chris.

########.

caveman
27-01-2003, 11:24 AM
thanks i think its around a 7 weight i hope to have ago at carp in the fresh water to cut my teeth on

Chris.Y
28-01-2003, 05:50 AM
Caveman, do yourself a favour and go see Harro for some flycasting lessons. My daughter and I saw him 2 weeks ago (after 3 years of sloggin it out with tangles and dummy spits,by both of us!!.)She is 13 and can cast beautifull tight loops 80ft plus with absolute ease. His teaching techniques are simple and easy to understand ,even for neanderthals like us. Evolution needn't be a painfull process. 8)

caveman
08-03-2003, 03:06 PM
i found a fly reel at BW for $40 its a 6weight & the rod a 7-9 will this be ok any help would be appre thx
p.s dont want to spend big $$$$ just yet
caveman

swflyfish
14-03-2003, 09:19 AM
Caveman- for the sort of fishing you sound like you want to do- the fly reel you mentioned would probably suit. The most important thing is to have a good quality rod and line as this makes a huge diference in your casting and fighting fish (the rod only for the latter). The main function of the reel for basic applications is to hold the line.

good luck and most importantly have fun.